PDA

View Full Version : K04 Install

R4zzleD4zzle
03-10-2008, 01:10 AM
When installing a new K04, is changing the oil supply line recommended or optional? Same with oil return line?

grip_racer
03-10-2008, 01:17 AM
optional if it is not clogged with coked oil

a must if it has coked oil inside.

if you've been running synthetic and changing it at regular intervals, as well as letting your turbo cool off after you drive, you should be safe.

MikeWasHere05
03-10-2008, 09:05 AM
I changed my oil supply line as preventative maintenance. I really don't want to spend all the time/money on putting a new K04 in.

B5Jaeger
03-10-2008, 10:09 AM
For the relatively low cost compared to buying another turbo, I would.

R4zzleD4zzle
03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Are there any other parts I should purchase or need to purchase for installation? Its stock 98 1.8T Qtip besides exhaust. DV? Intake? Boost guage? Software/Chip? FMIC? Injectors? Turbo intake pipe? Not too familiar with this car yet but do these guys come stock with DVs?

MikeWasHere05
03-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Are there any other parts I should purchase or need to purchase for installation? Its stock 98 1.8T Qtip besides exhaust. DV? Intake? Boost guage? Software/Chip? FMIC? Injectors? Turbo intake pipe? Not too familiar with this car yet but do these guys come stock with DVs?

You're gonna need one of these: http://www.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/12/flame_suit.jpg

VTAudiA4
03-10-2008, 10:07 PM
You dont need everything listed above but it would help in the long run. Also you need a mbc, fpr, and injectors (depending on file ex: j-31 for the 2000 A4) if you want to run a ko4 with the aggresive file. Oh and Im talking about the GIAC company if you are not familiar.

R4zzleD4zzle
03-10-2008, 10:08 PM
That was costume two halloweens ago.

done.

R4zzleD4zzle
03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
underhood mbc is fine?
wheres a good place for FPR?

MikeWasHere05
03-10-2008, 10:18 PM
That was costume two halloweens ago.

done.

haha, I'm feeling nice so I'll be helpful now.

I can't think of one turbo car that came out of a factory without a DV or BOV. Audis have diverter valves and not blow off valves. Theres a reason for it and it can be found in the FAQ. Put on a blow off valve and be prepared to, among many other things, experience ball shrinkage and the need to "live your life 10 seconds at a time".

Boost gauge would be a good starting point.

Intakes are a no-no on turbo cars. The stock airbox is good for anything K04 or under. If you need more than the stock airbox, you'll know. It won't be something you'll have to ask.

You could just slap on a K04 but it probably wouldn't be the most thorough setup. For a basic K04 upgrade you would need

K04 (duh)
Upgraded diverter valve (search for 710n)
Boost gauge (make sure everything is working properly)
5 bar fuel pressure regulator
Software (GIAC makes a good program) http://www.giacusa.com/

This setup would be good for around 230hp/260ftlbs of torque. The more aggressive K04 files require a front mount intercooler as well as a free flowing exhaust (ie: turboback). You can use a cat I guess, but unless its a high flow it'll be kinda restricting. You'll also need bigger injectors (310cc) and a 3 bar fuel pressure regulator. Most people use an adjustable fpr and tune it to their needs (ranges from 2.7 to 3 bar).

This is all for the PC-16 file, which is what you would need for your year (1998). Different injector sizes/upgrades are needed for the 1.8t variants.

I've just recently installed my PC-16 setup and it pulls pretty hard [up]

MikeWasHere05
03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
underhood mbc is fine?
wheres a good place for FPR?

No manual boost controller is necessary. Most people find that with a K04 a mbc just causes a huge boost spike. Good for the track I guess, bad for daily driving. I'm currently looking into either an electronic boost controller or what is called the Boost Machine. The Boost Machine is a mechanical type boost controller, but has the ability to adjust onset of boost as well as wastegate creep.

http://www.modshack.info/bm.htm

R4zzleD4zzle
03-10-2008, 10:23 PM
haha well thanks, too be honest I don't know jack about turbo or much about fuel injection. Kind of a carburated guy, but converted. PM me about the FPR, WTB

MikeWasHere05
03-10-2008, 10:24 PM
haha well thanks, too be honest I don't know jack about turbo or much about fuel injection. Kind of a carburated guy, but converted. PM me about the FPR, WTB

You don't really want the FPR that I'm selling. The tune that would benefit (potentially) from an afpr is set initially for 3 bar. Like I was saying, the people that do adjust the fuel pressure usually lower it a bit to ~2.7 bar. The fpr I'm selling has a 3-5 bar range.

R4zzleD4zzle
03-10-2008, 10:33 PM
K, gotcha. I have been looking at GIAC since I was considering the K04, purchasing now! Would my shot K03 affect idle? Just replaced the MAF & still suffering from some symptoms.

VTAudiA4
03-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah Im looking into getting an ebc too. Greddy Profrc B is what Im going to get eventually. Too bad they are like 350 new while an mbc is like anywheres between 20-80 or more.

MikeWasHere05
03-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Yeah Im looking into getting an ebc too. Greddy Profrc B is what Im going to get eventually. Too bad they are like 350 new while an mbc is like anywheres between 20-80 or more.

Take a look into the Boost Machine.