PDA

View Full Version : shifting problem

oface
03-09-2008, 02:57 PM
About 6 months ago I installed a stage two clutch on my 1.8TQ. After I got it back from the shop I noticed the shifter wasn't as smooth as it was before I got the upgrade. I took it back to the shop and they tweaked it around and it was a lot better (still not as it was before).

Recently I had to get a new (used) transmission and everything seemed fine after the install. Two weeks have passed by and now 5th gear is kinda hard to get into and reverse has progressively gotten harder and harder to get into, last night is was just about impossible. (it goes into second when i push it right as far as i can and then down.)

So what is it that they are 'tweaking'? They made it sound like they adjusted the actual transmission around to seat the shifter assembly better the first time. To me it feels like bent forks, but i don't think we even have shift forks?
After doing a little research I learned that there is slop in our shifters. Would getting one of those JHM shifters be a fix for this? I'm kind of thinking that the Tech at the place i'm taking my car too doesn't know how to install the shifter back into the car properly.

mark_2328
03-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Find the DIY for installing short shifters. You'll notice that when you get in there, there is one bolt way near the bottom that adjusts the shifter assembly, and there is one near the top toward the front of the car that adjusts it also. It's hard to explain, but just play with those and you should get it. I had some trouble with this also.

317ssayzarc
03-09-2008, 03:35 PM
i have a B&M shifter (came with the car) and just put in the JHM solid linkage and stablizer... i love the throws and how precise they are, BUT when in gear, side to side movement is still WAAAAYYYY too much for me... any ideas guys?

oface
03-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Find the DIY for installing short shifters. You'll notice that when you get in there, there is one bolt way near the bottom that adjusts the shifter assembly, and there is one near the top toward the front of the car that adjusts it also. It's hard to explain, but just play with those and you should get it. I had some trouble with this also.

I took it appart and figured out where most of the play was at. But it doesn't look like I can get a wrench on anything in this area to tighten it.

The falic purple ms paint is the general direction that the lower part is connected to
http://www.fairbanksforum.com/gallery/a4linkage.jpg

audiFUEGO
03-09-2008, 10:14 PM
looks like an allen bolt

Burntaudi
03-09-2008, 10:28 PM
i have a B&M shifter (came with the car) and just put in the JHM solid linkage and stablizer... i love the throws and how precise they are, BUT when in gear, side to side movement is still WAAAAYYYY too much for me... any ideas guys?

Yep get the JHM shifter too. I had the B&M before and upgraded to the JHM. The B&M is decent...but the JHM is leaps and bounds better. Also if you decide to get the JHM order the shorter shaft if you wanna keep the same height as the B&M. The JHM is stock height unless ordered otherwise.

oface
03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
looks like an allen bolt

I'm 90% sure that the allen bolt isn't the part that's loose. It's the long shaft that has the play. I was able to move it with my hand and the allen bolt never moved. I wish it was that easy.

Burntaudi
03-09-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm 90% sure that the allen bolt isn't the part that's loose. It's the long shaft that has the play. I was able to move it with my hand and the allen bolt never moved. I wish it was that easy.

How much does it move? It's normal for there to be a little play. The other end bolts to the side of the transmission. If it's real loose your gonna need to crawl under the car to check it.

oface
03-10-2008, 12:02 AM
How much does it move? It's normal for there to be a little play. The other end bolts to the side of the transmission. If it's real loose your gonna need to crawl under the car to check it.

it moves so much that i can't get the car in reverse anymore because by the time the slack in the amount of play there is occurs, i'm hitting the plastic around the side of the shifter.

I think i'm going to take it to the shop and have them look underneath. I'm thinking they might have to loosen the tranny back to reach up there. hell i don't know what order it went on.

syxxty
03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
You need this:

http://www.jhmotorsports.com/products/stabilizerbushing.html

Watch the shifter install video and they show the piece you are talking about. if it moves much you need to replace the bushings. They sell a better set of bushings at the above link. Good luck.