PDA

View Full Version : Global Motorsports Group proudly releases its 1.8t Big Turbo Kit.

Ryne@AE Performance
03-09-2008, 01:49 PM
http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/64565/fk_pics_113.jpg

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/64565/fk_pics_114.jpg

GMG World Challenge BT 1.8t Kit Specs:

With much success over the last year, we have finished two 1.8t Turbo Kits of our own that have proven to be both powerful and reliable on a daily basis.

Garrett GT28xx Turbocharger (Options Below)
GT28RS
GT2871R
GT2876R
GMG Mandrel Bent Tubular Exhaust Manifold
GIAC 91 Octane Performance Software
GMG Mandrel Bent Downpipe
GMG Billet Forged Diverter Valve
GMG Turbo Hot Side Heat Shield
GMG Coilpack Heat Shield
GMG Heat Shielded Cold Air Intake
GMG Oil and Coolant Feed/Return Lines
All Turbo Hardware/Fittings/Seals
Siemens High Flow Injectors
Bosch High Flow Fuel Pump
Bosch Increased Diameter Mass Air Flow Housing
Lower Compression Head Gasket (.7 Compression Drop)

On to what you all want to see, Dyno Plots.

Pump gas with a built 2.0t Motor 370HP @ 6500RPM
Race gas with a built 2.0t Motor 490HP @ 6600RPM
*GT2876
Larger turbos (such as GT30+) will produce more power*

*More dyno plots with a 1.8t to follow*

http://giacusa.com/images/018pbt_100vs91vsstock.jpg

Big thanks go out to GIAC for all of their hard work and tuning to help get this car to where it is today!

edited to fix your pictures.
-onemoremile

audiFUEGO
03-09-2008, 02:22 PM
http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/64565/fk_pics_113.jpg
http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/64565/fk_pics_114.jpg
http://giacusa.com/images/018pbt_100vs91vsstock.jpg

[up]

317ssayzarc
03-09-2008, 02:24 PM
i see that the car pictured is ME7... are you going to offer ME5 kits?

grip_racer
03-09-2008, 02:37 PM
sweet. prices?

Beemer832
03-09-2008, 03:37 PM
and the question remains... whats pricing looking like?

-josh

A4ringedONE8T
03-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Why did you weld the tip and charge pipe to the turbo? Doesnt that make it a pain in the ass to take in/out?

317ssayzarc
03-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Why did you weld the tip and charge pipe to the turbo? Doesnt that make it a pain in the ass to take in/out?

i was gonna say that but didnt want it to seem like i was picking this kit apart... that is really really strange lol

Tiluleshpingen
03-09-2008, 04:34 PM
all those dyno pulls where done with NO FMIC? saying this cuz i dont see it included or mentioned in the kit or in the dyno #

t1demont1
03-09-2008, 04:40 PM
lets hear the prices, and will this be available for us dbc guys?

Euro
03-09-2008, 04:43 PM
On to what you all want to see, Dyno Plots.

Pump gas with a built 2.0t Motor 370HP @ 6500RPM
Race gas with a built 2.0t Motor 490HP @ 6600RPM
*GT2876

Why would you show us dyno plots from a 2.0 liter?

pipe7284
03-09-2008, 04:51 PM
^^^^^x2, on the title states for 1.8t motor, i dont see anywhere 2.0T

Ryne@AE Performance
03-09-2008, 05:15 PM
The dyno runs on that car were done with a 2.0 built motor. We have the same kit on another car for the 1.8t.

The charge pipe was welded to that turbo for various reasons, it has since been revised on the final piece. Our B6 Kit is finished and will go to the dyno next week and we will have hard facts on what the 1.8t actually produces.

If the motor is built, look at just about the same #s.

Non-Rod/Piston motors are going to have a hard time with this kit, just because it was made for larger horsepower applications.

onemoremile
03-09-2008, 05:26 PM
What about a 93/94 octane tune for the rest of the country?

What boost levels were used for the two plots?

Which intercooler was used in the testing?

With a 1.8t the boost threshold will be higher and the shape of the curve will be different. Peak numbers may be the same or similar but the driving experience will be different.

Are you selling those battery hold downs? That looks nice.

The car is missing the gasket on the false firewall that keeps the HVAC from sucking in noxious engine compartment fumes. Might want to replace that before the driver passes out.

It looks very laggy for a 2871r on a 2.0. Most 1.8 liter engines will make 200wtq before 4000 rpm on pump gas. 28RS cars are often around 3500 rpm. This is probably a result of the manifold design since it also looks like you make very good top end power.

Is this with or without a catalytic convertor?

Why the spacer for the headgasket? Not only does it screw up the quench area it makes a whole lot more work during install and adds the potential for blown headgaskets. The only benefit I can see is that it would be easier to mount the exhaust manifold to the head while it is off. Still, a head removal adds a lot of time to the job.

ceas
03-09-2008, 05:43 PM
delete this

onemoremile
03-09-2008, 05:47 PM
delete this

Absolutely not. This is the forum it should be in. The other two threads were misplaced and have been closed.

317ssayzarc
03-09-2008, 05:48 PM
pics of this tubular mani, inside and out please!

is this just ME7 or ME7 as well?

price?

what MAF and injectors are being used in this tune?

GMG Racing
03-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Gentlemen:

Thanks for your comments:

This customer wanted a built 2.0 liter engine, this kit will work on all standard non stroker 1.8T engines.

Dyno plots for the 1.8T engine will be available soon.

We will have software available for those of you who are in "93 octane land"

This kit is compatible with all 1.8T engines from 1997 on.

Due to the large amount of people interested in the kit please email us directly if you have further questions. We cannot respond to all forum posts but will answer emails as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Rhinop21
03-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Prices??

onemoremile
03-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Due to the large amount of people interested in the kit please email us directly if you have further questions. We cannot respond to all forum posts but will answer emails as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Understood. On the other hand, answering the dozen questions above in this thread will prevent you from having to do it multiple times via email. Or I can email my questions to you and post the response here. [;)]

Beemer832
03-09-2008, 09:10 PM
^^^ im with him... all posted so far are looking for the same answers..

-josh

minira
03-09-2008, 09:15 PM
so what are we looking at in terms of pricing?

Stampy
03-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Why would you post in a forum and not want to answer questions? Why would you post about 1.8T numbers with a 2.0t? I second pretty much all of OneMoreMiles Q's.....All of which still have no answers. Also wondering about price?

Euro
03-09-2008, 11:05 PM
This customer wanted a built 2.0 liter engine, this kit will work on all standard non stroker 1.8T engines.

Dyno plots for the 1.8T engine will be available soon.

Thats what we are looking for. [rolleyes]

AudiA4_20T
03-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Non-Rod/Piston motors are going to have a hard time with this kit, just because it was made for larger horsepower applications.

For all the 287whp it puts down? [rolleyes]

Ryne@AE Performance
03-10-2008, 12:09 AM

Correct, 287WHP on GIAC's Mustang AWD 500. Please, show us a 91 octane car that has put down more power on that type of a dyno, and we will gladly not advertise this kit as *pushing the limits on stock rods*.

All answers to above questions will be answered tomorrow for you guys.

If unaware, GIACs dyno reads CONSIDERABLY low and has been known to be the "heartbreaker" dyno. Dynojet results would be considerably different.

Happy Motoring, more info tomorrow, it is late.

mike-2ptzero
03-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Correct, 287WHP on GIAC's Mustang AWD 500. Please, show us a 91 octane car that has put down more power on that type of a dyno, and we will gladly not advertise this kit as *pushing the limits on stock rods*.

All answers to above questions will be answered tomorrow for you guys.

If unaware, GIACs dyno reads CONSIDERABLY low and has been known to be the "heartbreaker" dyno. Dynojet results would be considerably different.

Happy Motoring, more info tomorrow, it is late.

Not exactly the heartbreaker, but it does read lower then most Dynojets. GIAC still uses a 22% driveline loss for the quattro cars. If you want to run on a real heart breaker there is a Mustang in Norcal that is setup to read exactly like a dynodynamic dyno which is 30-32% driveline loss. The real hearbreaker in Socal was the Maha at AMS, but they are no longer in business.

TQMB5
03-10-2008, 09:37 AM
why are you guys all putting this new kit down. not more then a year or so ago i remember alot of bitching about no companies steping up and making bt kits AND tuning for our cars. God now i know why, you guys dont appreciate it. Now someone is offering a complete kit w GIAC tuning and your ripping on him for posting a dyno for a 2.0? chill out a bit and be thankful there is starting to be competition so now you wont need to pay 1300 for a manifold.

audisnapr
03-10-2008, 10:55 AM
btw, where is the intake filter on this thing? down in the bumper somewhere?

Devious27t
03-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Not exactly the heartbreaker, but it does read lower then most Dynojets. GIAC still uses a 22% driveline loss for the quattro cars. If you want to run on a real heart breaker there is a Mustang in Norcal that is setup to read exactly like a dynodynamic dyno which is 30-32% driveline loss. The real hearbreaker in Socal was the Maha at AMS, but they are no longer in business.

Mike, since the recalibration, the GIAC dyno reads on par with the DD machine down in San Diego. Your information is flawed. [up]

Devious27t
03-10-2008, 11:36 AM

stock compression is pertinent to this on 91 octane (the two never mix well).

mike-2ptzero
03-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Mike, since the recalibration, the GIAC dyno reads on par with the DD machine down in San Diego. Your information is flawed. [up]

Flawed? I dont think math can be flawed.

On this thread he uses a 22% drive line loss to figure chp. [confused]

a stock 170whp car on a DD will not put down 132whp. Its just simple math.

170-22%= 132.6

If it was a true DD setup then it would be 170-30% = 119

There have been plenty of "stock" A4's that have been tested on a DD and have seen 150 versions put down under 100whp.

CARTEL
03-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Great kit guys... It's nice to see the development of more turbo kits coming out.

Devious27t
03-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Flawed? I dont think math can be flawed.

On this thread he uses a 22% drive line loss to figure chp. [confused]

a stock 170whp car on a DD will not put down 132whp. Its just simple math.

170-22%= 132.6

If it was a true DD setup then it would be 170-30% = 119

There have been plenty of "stock" A4's that have been tested on a DD and have seen 150 versions put down under 100whp.

not gonna argue with you on this Mike..... Tons of cars have been baselined and seen other cars checked on both dynos... We actually felt the numbers were a bit high for the stock car but it was the only one that had been tested since the recalibration.

You are referencing that dyno in particular because a certain someones car just happened to be dynoed on there and made good numbers [;)]

seank
03-10-2008, 04:34 PM
and we still are not being supplied with a price?

Rhinop21
03-10-2008, 05:02 PM
All i wanna know is a price....

Eurotuned_A4
03-10-2008, 05:18 PM
expect it to be on par with other kits out. Im sure it will be similar to apr or somewhere around there.

mike-2ptzero
03-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Has anyone tried calling GMG to ask what the price would be?

Poopie
03-10-2008, 06:53 PM
i like competition. Keeps prices fair. LOL.

mike-2ptzero
03-10-2008, 07:02 PM
i like competition. Keeps prices fair. LOL.

Well they can have me sell it and you know what happens with prices then? [>_<]

Stampy
03-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Maybe its so good, and so expensive. So we can't be shown the price.

Ryne@AE Performance
03-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I have stated the price before, sorry if you have not seen it posted.
MSRP is $5899

solowb5
03-11-2008, 12:15 PM
With 6k anyone can make better power then 300

317ssayzarc
03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
wow!

give me 6k and ill give you a 2.0, a tubular manifold and matching downpipe with a 30r, fueling and uni software...

freeskiwp
03-11-2008, 12:36 PM
6 grand..wow..im not even sure my car is worth that much. However, it is good to see that companies are still developing things for our cars, im sure R&D is not cheap and hard to justify on an aging chassis.

Devious27t
03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
What about a 93/94 octane tune for the rest of the country?

There is a bit of timing correction left in the map and a boost controller....

What boost levels were used for the two plots?

18 psi and 24 psi iirc. The file has a built in boost controller so that the end user can set it to where they want.

Which intercooler was used in the testing?

GMG unit made in-house

With a 1.8t the boost threshold will be higher and the shape of the curve will be different. Peak numbers may be the same or similar but the driving experience will be different.

the curve will shift up slightly due to making slightly less torque,overall power will depend on when the car goes to redline. You being a bit melodramatic in regards to how much difference ~.2 liters of displacement makes.

The car is missing the gasket on the false firewall that keeps the HVAC from sucking in noxious engine compartment fumes. Might want to replace that before the driver passes out.

sounds like you are looking for reasons to hate....

It looks very laggy for a 2871r on a 2.0. Most 1.8 liter engines will make 200wtq before 4000 rpm on pump gas. 28RS cars are often around 3500 rpm. This is probably a result of the manifold design since it also looks like you make very good top end power.

This is a 2876R not a 2871R....

Is this with or without a catalytic convertor?

all testing done with a functioning cat, MAF and N75 valve. This car has a stock small port throttle body and no modifications made to the intake manifold.

Why the spacer for the headgasket? Not only does it screw up the quench area it makes a whole lot more work during install and adds the potential for blown headgaskets. The only benefit I can see is that it would be easier to mount the exhaust manifold to the head while it is off. Still, a head removal adds a lot of time to the job.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any realworld data on this? I have used head gasket shims for the better part of 8 years on various makes of cars (nissan, mitsu, toyota, honda/acura, subaru, vw/audi) and have never seen anything that you speak of (short of having a bad tune or improper installation... that is not the head gasket, though). The boost levels I have used have ranged from 18-32psi which is likely the range of what most budget modders will use. Head gasket spacers are a cheaper alternative to lower your compression (rather than getting pistons). I am sure as you know, this will allow the end user to make quite a bit more power on pump fuel. You can leave the compression stock and add race gas, its up to you. [confused] The nDBW and 2000MY cars have sufficiently strong pistons and with a proper tune can handle a relatively significant amount of power, you might as well take advantage of that.

onemoremile
03-11-2008, 01:14 PM
For that money it better come with a full turbo back exhaust and either standalone or a whole new ECU with multiple programs. APR was similarly priced back in the day and they had no one to take inspiration from when designing theirs from scratch with a cast inconel manifold.

onemoremile
03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
You being a bit melodramatic in regards to how much difference ~.2 liters of displacement makes.

sounds like you are looking for reasons to hate....

Do you have any realworld data on this? I have used head gasket shims for the better part of 8 years on various makes of cars (nissan, mitsu, toyota, honda/acura, subaru, vw/audi) and have never seen anything that you speak of (short of having a bad tune or improper installation... that is not the head gasket, though). The boost levels I have used have ranged from 18-32psi which is likely the range of what most budget modders will use. Head gasket spacers are a cheaper alternative to lower your compression (rather than getting pistons). I am sure as you know, this will allow the end user to make quite a bit more power on pump fuel. You can leave the compression stock and add race gas, its up to you. [confused] The nDBW and 2000MY cars have sufficiently strong pistons and with a proper tune can handle a relatively significant amount of power, you might as well take advantage of that.

I'm not hating and have no reason to do so. No melodrama here. A little ironic that you mentioned it though. If there wasn't a difference between a 1.8 and a 2.0 then why do people go through all the additional effort and expense for that 11% bump in displacement?

Thicker head gaskets reduce the squish area which leads to an increased propensity for detonation. This is because the squish area pushes the potential bad combustion area gasses back towards the main combustion event. This is common knowledge and is why Somendar Singh's grooves work. It is also fundamental to the squish-jet combustion chamber studies. As far as realworld data, would the Bosch Automotive Handbook do? The very fact that those areas exist and are called squish or quench area and exist in nearly ever otto cycle engine should be enough. The other reasons I question it is that no other tuner had made this a requirement of their kit and someone I respect greatly has commented on it (http://www.elitedubs.com/index.php/topic,2575.0.html).

I am only seeking answers to basic questions. The comment about the firewall gasket is justified seeing as a reputable and well informed tuner should mention that sort of thing to customers. There is a very valid reason for that gasket to remain in place. I was just curious and meant no ill will with the question.

FWIW, I would love nothing more than to see another well designed kit hit the market. Consider this due diligence.

onemoremile
03-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Any updates? Still curious.

boostedup
03-14-2008, 04:19 PM
6000 is effin rediculous. any regular Joe Schmo could put together a far superior turbo kit for less money, more horsepower and have money left over for an exhaust and FMIC

Wizard-of-OD
03-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Talk about Tough crowd...

Rhinop21
03-14-2008, 05:17 PM
For 6k I could have 450 awhp. With problems of course.

quattro16
03-14-2008, 05:38 PM

Seriously!!!! Maybe we shouldnt be bashing that badly on them. There just trying to put a product out on the market that will help the community. We should be telling them ideas on what needs improvement and what this forum of aparant Audi Geniuses really wants out of a BT kit!!!!! If we keep bashing the shit out of every company that puts something like this out then don't complain in a years time when there are no products to buy!!!

ChescoS6
03-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I agree that's pretty pricey. Way out of my range even if it was sold below "MSRP"
Some company's throw a lollipop or bag of Skittles in when they ship stuff out but for 6k I be expect a stripper to jump out of the box. [:d]

onemoremile
03-14-2008, 08:18 PM

Tough pricepoint.

5899 for GMG's kit versus 3995 for Evo Racewerks's kit (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2205506&postcount=35). That is a big difference and no justification has been made for it. Folks will pay more for something that is worth it as value is more important that price alone. That kit made 20 psi at 3,600 rpm with a 2871r on a stock 1.8.

I'm just wondering what makes one that much better than the other.

killa
03-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Thicker gaskets do work, not ideal but do work, have you ever seen 507whp on stock internals with the pistons about 1mm down in the block? My car has...

ladedruck
03-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Tough pricepoint.

5899 for GMG's kit versus 3995 for Evo Racewerks's kit (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2205506&postcount=35). That is a big difference and no justification has been made for it. Folks will pay more for something that is worth it as value is more important that price alone. That kit made 20 psi at 3,600 rpm with a 2871r on a stock 1.8.

I'm just wondering what makes one that much better than the other.

From the link you posted there is no tuning on that kit. The GIAC tune is worth quite a chunk of that difference.

onemoremile
03-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Very true. And the rest of the difference?

onemoremile
03-14-2008, 09:49 PM
One other quick question. If the head gasket is made thicker then the cam sprocket is farther from the crank sprocket and cam timing will be changed. Does this kit require an adjustable timing gear to compensate for that?

pmoss
03-15-2008, 08:49 AM
interested in the price of the tune alone?

ladedruck
03-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Very true. And the rest of the difference?

well I am not selling this and am only going by what he posted but I see this...

GIAC 91 Octane Performance Software
GMG Billet Forged Diverter Valve
GMG Turbo Hot Side Heat Shield
GMG Coilpack Heat Shield
GMG Heat Shielded Cold Air Intake
Siemens High Flow Injectors
Bosch High Flow Fuel Pump
Bosch Increased Diameter Mass Air Flow Housing
Lower Compression Head Gasket (.7 Compression Drop)

I would think that is easily $1500 to $1800+