PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass work, help me out

.Mad Hatter.
03-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I have never worked with fiberglass before.

I am making a custom iPod mount in my ashtray, and I need to make my mold. Would a piece of cardboard work with wax paper over top of it (to prevent the resin from absorbing into the cardboard)?

It does not need to be super strong, and I dont have access to alot of materials, so I need to figure out how to make a good mold that I will able to seperate the piece from.

Also, is there some sort of oil used to apply to the mold so the overlay will come off cleanly?

ChriS4
03-09-2008, 02:23 PM
use masking tape, either blue or white. and be sure you wear gloves when you're working on it, as the FG can penetrate your skin without you even knowing it and be very irritating.

.Mad Hatter.
03-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Great thanks. So the fiberglass should lift right off the tape without issue?

edit: or do you peel the tape off of the mold?

docurley
03-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Or use a plastic bag.

gotaudi
03-09-2008, 02:55 PM
To not have the resin bond to a surface you need mold release. I dont know how well the tape will work.

.Mad Hatter.
03-09-2008, 03:00 PM
As long as the resin doesnt bond to the mold Im good, If there is plastic/tape/tin foil etc. attached to the cured resin Im not too worried, as it will not be seen.

docurley
03-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Then the bag will work a treat.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/docurley/AudiA4CentreConsul4.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/docurley/Consul7.jpg

.Mad Hatter.
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Just picked up the kit...Im at it right now. Thanks all.

t1demont1
03-09-2008, 04:42 PM
post pics of the work and progress. I was thinking of doing the same.

djwimbo
03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Teflon tape works great too, if you have some. Otherwise you can use a "release" wax for making molds.

All the fiberglass stuff I do is for speaker enclosures or to fix my friends motorcycles. It's not real hard, just take your time. And make sure wherever you're working is warm. Fiberglass likes it hot and dry. Unfortunately those don't go hand in hand around here this time of year

onemoremile
03-09-2008, 05:49 PM
PVA mold release works wonders but so does a few coats of good wax. Be sure the wax is natural carnuba and not a petroleum base. For most automotive apps I've just taped the area and laid tin foil over it.

Don't add extra hardener or catalyst to make up for the cold. Just let it sit longer to cure.

.Mad Hatter.
03-09-2008, 05:56 PM
i did it, well see how well it looks after some trimming and sanding. I may have to use a more rigid piece for the mold, i want this to look good so i may re do it