PDA

View Full Version : What should I do??

seanko04
03-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I just got rear ended right now by a taxi. Now Im stuck in the middle if I should report it or what. When the cops came he told the cops I reversed on him because I was trying to run a red light [:/]. When they took a look they saw my muffler puddle too far from where the guy said I stop they stop talking to him [:D]. So now this guy is telling me he will take me to a body shop but its really not that bad I think I can fix it with some Audi lovers and beer [:p]. Should I report it and get the money and let my insurance go up or should I just let this guy get my bumper realigned and painted??? This is hard Free Money or Free Body Work [headbang]

stpracer
03-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Report it! If he tried to screw you once he'll try it again. But didn't the cops take a report?

seanko04
03-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Nah they told me I had 10 days to do the report so they told me to talk it over with my Grandfather because my Insurance is under him man I only pay $600 for 6 months lol. So I didnt know what to do.

tamadrumr88
03-09-2008, 08:52 AM
If you're not at fault your insurance shouldn't be going up, so why fear going through insurance? Or am I missing something

We had a vehicle that was hit, thought we were being nice by not reporting it because the guy said he'd handle it on the side. The guy and his business closed down and we never heard from the guy. Filed a report and took it to court but the guy never showed and each time it cost us more money to file with a higher court only for the guy to not show, and we'd have to wait a few more months each time... This was a valuable learning experience for all of us. Unless you're best friends ALWAYS file a report with the police

seanko04
03-09-2008, 08:59 AM
WOW!!! Thanks for the advice. Plus he's a cab driver so I was iffy about doing it on the side.

Ewok_Fetus
03-09-2008, 09:15 AM
If you're not at fault your insurance shouldn't be going up, so why fear going through insurance? Or am I missing something

We had a vehicle that was hit, thought we were being nice by not reporting it because the guy said he'd handle it on the side. The guy and his business closed down and we never heard from the guy. Filed a report and took it to court but the guy never showed and each time it cost us more money to file with a higher court only for the guy to not show, and we'd have to wait a few more months each time... This was a valuable learning experience for all of us. Unless you're best friends ALWAYS file a report with the police

Even if you are best friends I would still do a report... Also, claims of any kind can raise rates, as long as they are not "acts of god." Such as tornado's, hail, wind debris, etc...

seanko04
03-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Thats what Im worried about is my rate going up, I doubt it will go up that much.

seanko04
03-09-2008, 02:26 PM
SO does anybody have a ball park figure how much I might get back from the insurance company?

onemoremile
03-09-2008, 05:04 PM
The settlement and your premium depend on the company, their policies, and the quote. Claims don't have to raise premiums. My car was totaled and my premium didn't go up even though they paid out about 10 grand.

sageleo
03-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Wouldn't the amount of money you get from your insurance depend on how much your deductable is? When I got rear ended it did 530.00 in damage and I had a 500.00 deductable, so I only got 30 from insurance and had to go after the other drivers insurance to get reimbursed for my deductable.

generik777
03-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I got rear ended back in November, Did $3000 dollars in damage. The other lady was at fault so my insurance called her insurance and made them pay for everything.

akielb
03-09-2008, 06:09 PM
If the accident isn't your fault then the other guys insurance should pay 100%. At least thats how insurance works around here. If you live in a "no fault" state then you are both at fault no matter what. You can always call and talk to you grandfathers agent and find out what the exact implications would be.

Just read this
http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content10203.aspx

Hey sageleo, sound like you got screwed by your/their insurance somehow

seanko04
03-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Interesting, well this is the plan. Im going to go to this body shop with the guy later on and see what their all about and if its a run down shop I'll call my Insurance guy right there and get the ball moving.

tdn
03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Stupid move, I think. Report it to your insurance, you rates won't go up, you weren't at fault. Let them handle everything. It seems to me you're just putting yourself in a position to be screwed, compared to if you call your insurance and they know its his fault, you're completely in the clear.

Maybe I'm missing something, but you have nothing to lose by calling your insurance company.

Besides, if you want to follow through with your plan, did you at least get the name of the body shop? why not look them up online and see what others think. It seems like a better way of judging the kind of work they do.. looks can be deceiving.

The guy already tried fucking you over big time and now you're helping him out? Cool.. I guess, I personally wouldn't want to deal with the guy again.

seanko04
03-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Report it! If he tried to screw you once he'll try it again. But didn't the cops take a report?
You where soo right, so I wake up this morning and give him a call and he said he had to go to court in Far Rockaway. [headbang] I feel like an a$$ right now and I woke up early for nothing [evilmad]

jonrogers42
03-10-2008, 03:56 PM
My sister had the same situation and reported it to the insurance company, they took care of the problem and her rates stayed the same.

seanko04
03-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Well ok here is the moment of truth, I went to work today and took some pics:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/twisterko2000/SUNP0002.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/twisterko2000/SUNP0003.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/twisterko2000/SUNP0004.jpg

As you can see he pushed my bumper in [=(]

sixfiveoh
03-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Trust me, I have learned from past experience on a few cars... Always, ALWAYS file a report, you'll regret not doing so in the long run...

flyromeo3
12-26-2008, 08:57 AM
your stupid if your going to do things "on the side" Especially when this idiot tried lying to the cops.
No one is your friend when your involved in a car accident. Everyone is looking out for themselves! Dont be naive and plus, your from Queens. You should know better!

geeky
12-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Way to bring back an 8 month old thread.

tdn
12-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Well now that it's brought back, I'm curious as to how everything went.

InTTruder
12-26-2008, 01:37 PM
ALWAYS report an accident. PERIOD.