PDA

View Full Version : universal oxygen sensor

20vpower
03-08-2008, 03:02 PM
installing new universal oxygen sensor on my old o2 harness. blauparts provided instructions, but it says to connect grey to grey, black to black and white to white... but there are two whites. I just want to make sure before i put it back together that both white wires are the same.

audiFUEGO
03-08-2008, 03:06 PM
why wrap your arm around your head to scratch your chin?

whoace
03-08-2008, 03:18 PM
If you are installing the universal O2S to pass the emissions test, its a bad idea. California runs on the same software/limits as we do in Ontario. In my experience, most aftermarket sensors throw false readings to the ECM. Save yourself from future problems and just buy an OE sensor.

agentsmith988
03-08-2008, 03:36 PM
If you are installing the universal O2S to pass the emissions test, its a bad idea. California runs on the same software/limits as we do in Ontario. In my experience, most aftermarket sensors throw false readings to the ECM. Save yourself from future problems and just buy an OE sensor.

amen to that, i went through two universals before i bit the bullet and bought an oem sensor... you might get a month or so before you get a CEL for a bad signal ugh...

Jared71482
03-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Most universal sensors are OEM brands... like bosch. They are priced much lower because of the lack of the OE connector. As long as the connections are made right (solder and adhesive heat shrink -not crimp connectors-) they will last just as long as an OE sensor.

The white wires are the heater wires and there is no polarity to them. They can be hooked up either way.

20vpower
03-08-2008, 03:52 PM
thank you jared. and to the rest of you... its a bosch part, bought from blauparts. and the only reason im installing it i dont want to hassle with replacing it again when my turbo/manifold etc is already out. now im ready to go back to work to put the k04, hfc, 034 hi flow exhaust mani in. oh and my cat>dp bolts were NEVER coming out w/o being sawzall'd/punched out. again thanks for the info jared

mike-2ptzero
03-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Most universal sensors are OEM brands... like bosch. They are priced much lower because of the lack of the OE connector. As long as the connections are made right (solder and adhesive heat shrink -not crimp connectors-) they will last just as long as an OE sensor.

The white wires are the heater wires and there is no polarity to them. They can be hooked up either way.

Still adds resistance no matter how great you are at soldering. Just not a great idea splicing wires that carry a signal that changes voltage and when something is using that voltage as a reading.

loustylez
03-10-2008, 12:26 PM
my mechanic made a comment when having my rear o2's replaced on my 2001 30v that if i hadn't have bought the ones with the OE connectors, he wouldn't have been able to make the splice or fit it through or reach long enough or something. just throwing that out there.

Poopie
03-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I have a bosch universal and its working just fine. The logs are almost spot on with my wideband at WOT

tdn
03-10-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a bosch universal and its working just fine. The logs are almost spot on with my wideband at WOT

how many miles have you had it?

Poopie
03-10-2008, 01:48 PM
about 30k