PDA

View Full Version : Strong supporting mods....

jonrogers42
03-06-2008, 07:38 PM
I just finished up my pc-16 setup last week and my car runs pretty strong as of right now. I was curious to hear from most of you guys what some small but yet effective mods would be to make the whole setup stronger. I have some stuff in mind but I thought i'd ask before I made any further decisions. Heres my mod list so far: borg warner k04, oversized gospeed fmic, pc-16 software, red top inj's, hks mushroom intake, atp cat delete, afpr and gauge, apexi ebc, 2.5 borla, stage 3 clutch on the way, and the cup kit. I plan on doing a 71r this summer after i graduate. Anything helpful is appreciated guys thanks!
heres a pic from the otherday:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/jonrogers42/axlesgayssat003.jpg

Solaris
03-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Engine mounts, trans mounts, DTS, rear diff mount/bushings. Really puts the power to the ground.

MikeWasHere05
03-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Engine mounts, trans mounts, DTS, rear diff mount/bushings. Really puts the power to the ground.

I'm in the same position as the OP. Do mods like what you've listed actually make the car faster, or is it just more solid?

Right now my next "mod" will be control arms, but then I've got a few plans worked out. I could do an EBC and then do either water/meth or a nitrous sprayer on the IC and crank up boost a little bit. Or I could do sway bars (hotchki$$ or nothing). Or HIDs.

I'm kinda liking the ebc/methanol idea... but new mounts and stuff would probably make the car feel a lot better.

20vpower
03-06-2008, 08:33 PM
yeah i was wondering how pc16 works with meth

jonrogers42
03-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Is there a good company for
:Originally Posted by Solaris

Militant-Grunt
03-06-2008, 08:37 PM
How much did that FMIC run you? I'm looking for one right now, not too cheap, but somewhat budget as well.

jonrogers42
03-06-2008, 08:38 PM
410 shipped, It was an easy install as well, the only bad thing is you have to fabricate your own mounts

Militant-Grunt
03-06-2008, 08:39 PM
410 shipped, It was an easy install as well, the only bad thing is you have to fabricate your own mounts

Thats not hard at all, where'd you buy it from?

MikeWasHere05
03-06-2008, 08:39 PM
yeah i was wondering how pc16 works with meth

Since PC-16 runs a lot of advanced timing if for whatever reasons the IATs were too high, meth would show good gain. The thing is if the FMIC is doing its job and the IATs are in check and theres no timing retard, the meth is useless. It can correct for timing retard but can't create timing advancement (on its own).

This is where the EBC would come in. I could probably run more boost (20-22psi range) if I had the knock protection of meth. Its just an idea i have, still need to do some research.

jonrogers42
03-06-2008, 08:41 PM
PHONE NUMBER : 1-626-442-9823 MON-FRI 10AM-6PM PST
EMAIL: KANSAIMOTORSPORT@YAHOO.COM

Excellent business, shipped quick and exceptional customer service

20vpower
03-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Is there a good company for
:Originally Posted by Solaris

for eng/tranny mounts hit up 034 for density line mounts

jonrogers42
03-06-2008, 08:42 PM
sounds like a good idea to me

jonrogers42
03-06-2008, 08:43 PM
How is the install on the tranny mounts?

Militant-Grunt
03-06-2008, 08:49 PM
How is the install on the tranny mounts?

On a S4 is cake. On a 1.8t its 50% cake, the other is a little bit trickier as its a side mounted mount. its 3 bolts for the passenger side one, not sure about the drivers side though.

jonrogers42
03-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Alrighty, sounds like it would make for a good weekend project, i was thinkin about the awe drivetrain stabalizer and apr snub mount aswell, ive heard the apr snub has a tenancy to break tho...

Solaris
03-06-2008, 08:58 PM
I have 2.8 engine mounts, APR snub mount, AutoSpeed DTS, 034 solid passenger side trans mount, Stern driver side trans mount, Stern diff power ring and bushings. It just helps put the power to the ground that you are otherwise losing through the drivetrain slop. Helluvalot more fun with upgraded mounts. I get a good amount of vibrations inside my car, but the solid trans mount is probably most responsible for that. You likely won't want that and it's not necessary.

Solaris
03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Alrighty, sounds like it would make for a good weekend project, i was thinkin about the awe drivetrain stabalizer and apr snub mount aswell, ive heard the apr snub has a tenancy to break tho...

I've been using the APR snub mount for over 125k miles. No issues.

creechsa4
03-06-2008, 09:03 PM
looks great jon! what are those trophies on the wall?

jonrogers42
03-06-2008, 09:04 PM
yeah, im definently going to do the mounts after i put some more hours in at work. Im glad to hear that about apr's. They are a great company, yet kind of $$$expensive$$$

audiFUEGO
03-06-2008, 09:06 PM
i love my new asp dts... your right, it makes driving more fun

Solaris
03-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Since PC-16 runs a lot of advanced timing if for whatever reasons the IATs were too high, meth would show good gain. The thing is if the FMIC is doing its job and the IATs are in check and theres no timing retard, the meth is useless. It can correct for timing retard but can't create timing advancement (on its own).

This is where the EBC would come in. I could probably run more boost (20-22psi range) if I had the knock protection of meth. Its just an idea i have, still need to do some research.

I cranked my boost up to 22 psi and ran WOT in 2nd to 3rd to 4th and still saw no more than 6 degrees of timing pull in mid 60s weather. Depends on your intercooler. I can't imagine any more intercooling would be a huge benefit for me unless I'm running in much higher temps.

jonrogers42
03-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Those are my grandfathers trophies from his ford model a's. He used to have a couple of amazing ones but he sold them to a couple museums. He has been letting me use his garage and lift. In his garage also sits that a8l and an m6. Both cars are very inspiring to work hard. By the way thanks for all the help!

creechsa4
03-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Those are my grandfathers trophies from his ford model a's. He used to have a couple of amazing ones but he sold them to a couple museums. He has been letting me use his garage and lift. In his garage also sits that a8l and an m6. Both cars are very inspiring to work hard. By the way thanks for all the help!
yah that's a sick garage, with nice cars. glad you're setup is running great.