PDA

View Full Version : blown turbo, which do you recommend?

R4zzleD4zzle
03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
I recently just purchased a '98 A4 1.8T Quattro. The turbo is pretty much shot & you can hear the bearing rattling around. I am going to be purchasing a new turbo here ASAP & plan on installing it myself along with a new TB & mass air flow sensor. If I'm not mistaken the stock turbo is a K03...to be honest, I don't know anything about turbos or Audis...I was just curious as to which turbo you guys would recommend? I decided no GT25RS for me, too expensive. I'm not turning the little A4 into a street machine; just don't mind dishing out a couple extra nickels if I'm already having to replace the turbo. I'm happy with the stock turbo performance, I just bought the car so I wouldn't be getting 7 to the gallon like I did with my truck. If its not too outrageous in price difference, I might as well get the upgrade right? So new question,
Is a K04 recommended? Or should I stick with the plain old K03? Is the K04 a direct replacement bolt in for the K03? I've seen a couple on Ebay but I'm not sure if these guys are trustworthy...Most of them have warranties also. The dealership gave me an estimate of $1300 for labor & parts on a remanufactured K03.

Yaktizzle417
03-05-2008, 10:13 PM
A K04 can be a direct replacement for a K03. You don't need any special tuning or anything to use it. However, you can make some generous power with a tune from GIAC along with injectors and an FPR.

I'd recommend a K04 or a K03s. There has been a recent string of problems with K04 software, so I'd go with a K03s and a GIAC tune.

Hope this helped!

R4zzleD4zzle
03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I'd recommend a K04 or a K03s. There has been a recent string of problems with K04 software, so I'd go with a K03s and a GIAC tune.

Thanks man. But whats the difference with the K03s?
I'm looking here for one but I can't seem to get my hands on one. Maybe I'm looking wrong?

aytheory
03-06-2008, 02:07 AM
save money go with k03s get - you can get it from a junkyard probally for cheap or car-parts.com they come from iirc 00+ a4 and just make sure the year is right

k04 isn't going to be that big of a jump in performance and it cost like 800 bux new or so
a used k03s will cost around 150 bux

don't buy from ebay for turbos - for serious cat

if you are going to upgrade get a k03s to save money - you can get a fast car and still keep great millage i get 26mpg combine - and i wished i went with a gt2871 but o wells you live and learn

since you seem alright with spending 1300 dollar for a re-manufactured one

also for future upgrades and for the safety of the turbo - our cars are notorious for slug issues - so get a new oil feed line - since our feed line runs on top of the exhaust manifold a good way to clog oil lines - you get get a oil feed line from axismotorsport.com or something like that - cost about 70 bux - good for the life of the current turbo and good for future upgrades - also get new gaskets set from ecstuning. and you should be good - rest of the tb stuff and air flow get it from purems.com

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
03-06-2008, 11:29 AM
k03 n k03s same shit... Slow
k04 less slow
stage 3 = the way the a4 was suppose to be. (the most expensive option.)

Wats your budget and that will be the deciding factor in wat you wanna do.

Some mentioned $1300 if that is accurate you can have a nice k04 setup.

R4zzleD4zzle
03-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Wats your budget and that will be the deciding factor in wat you wanna do.

Some mentioned $1300 if that is accurate you can have a nice k04 setup.

Yeah I've got some extra money saved, thats why I was considering the upgrade. A little less than $1300 is my budget, I'm trying to find the problem to my PS leaking.

maxspeed
03-06-2008, 11:42 AM
http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=1&PEI=2&PP=a4_18t_drivetrain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain&IL=AWEK04

hows 240hp sound?

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
03-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Maintenance is important but upgrading once something is broken is cost effective.

Used k04 go for ~$500 New - $800
K05 Programming (standard k04 software) Software new or used range from $300+
Gaskets (instal hardware - $50
Fueling - $varies
If you install it yourself then thats money saved...
Get that PS issue resolved because its gonna start whinning and its gonna be embarassing.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
03-06-2008, 11:52 AM
it will work with any exhaust even stock.
But depending on the exhaust it may hinder peak performance by being a choke on the exhaust.

R4zzleD4zzle
03-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Alright, I'm most likely going with the K04 & some tuning. It has a Scorpion exhaust on it & on second thought it should be fine. I appreciate it guys.

Militant-Grunt
03-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Maintenance is important but upgrading once something is broken is cost effective.

Used k04 go for ~$500 New - $800
K05 Programming (standard k04 software) Software new or used range from $300+
Gaskets (instal hardware - $50
Fueling - $varies
If you install it yourself then thats money saved...
Get that PS issue resolved because its gonna start whinning and its gonna be embarassing.

K04's are also more reliable than k03's. Trust me, get a k04, you'll be happy in the end.

ibew5audi
03-06-2008, 02:02 PM
If you buy a turbo from ebay, make sure it is a used or new kkkk03. I bought one for $137 shipped w/60kmi. It works excellent. My stock k03 lasted until 130k with good boost.
Nothing is wrong w/ebay unless you get the Chinese knock offs that are listed as k03-junk.

audiproud
03-12-2008, 07:32 PM
I installed a KO4-15 from kinetic. Gives me enough power and I don't have a chip.
Upgrading TB from a A4 V6 (97-01). See what that does.

devmaster
03-12-2008, 07:49 PM
little off topic but u mentioned the gt25.. im seeing them online and it seems like it would be a decent upgrade.. it wont flow as much as a larger frame turbo, but it must spool quicker. and its ball bearing so its a definate upgrade.. anybody have 1?

R4zzleD4zzle
03-13-2008, 10:51 AM
So I purchased a brand new K04 from Ebay (did it only because it was $386 with tax+shipping & the guy gave me a year warranty & said if its not the right one I wanted I can return it) & I got it in the mail yesterday afternoon. The plate on the front of it says K04 TURBOCHARGER & has a serial #: 08016150

Does anybody know if this is a KKKseries K04 or K04-15?

Brooksthepro
03-13-2008, 11:09 AM
it should say Kkk in a triangle. somwhere on the front

i bought mine from kinetic motorsports and it only has one K in the triangle. iv never really understood the difference to be honest. but mine has been fine so far.

maxspeed
03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
i highly doubt you got a new KKK k04 with a warranty for 386 bucks, and if you did, thats probablly the record for best priced new turbo heh

is the tag on the turbo blue or red? does it have a K in a triangle on the compressor housing?

turboquattro068
03-13-2008, 12:19 PM
you can buy my turbo and rebuild it for less than 1300, will bolt up directly its the gt28rs eliminator kit with ecu injectors and all

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=150225330094&Category=33742

Brooksthepro
03-13-2008, 12:22 PM
a little off topic. but whats the difference between a k04 with the kkk in the triangle, or just one big K in the triangle??

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
03-13-2008, 07:35 PM
you can buy my turbo and rebuild it for less than 1300, will bolt up directly its the gt28rs eliminator kit with ecu injectors and all

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=150225330094&Category=33742

Stop trying to scam newbies...
I'm serious!

R4zzleD4zzle
03-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah I'm starting to think I should return that thing before it blows up on me after the install. I know what you're talking about with the K in the triangle, but the one I got has no markings on the housing or anything. The guy I bought it from said he got it from a local supplier Top Speed Pro-1 http://www.topspeedauto.com/ which the website has a link to apply as a wholesale vendor. The crazy thing is after looking at this website I just found that there are no turbos for sale to fit an Audi...

Looks like im returning it!

Brooksthepro
03-14-2008, 10:19 AM
a k04 should look like this....notice the single K in the triangle. some have KKK in the triangle also.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/brooksthepro/IMG_0815.jpg

audiFUEGO
03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
just for the record... there was no problems with K04 tuning.

Just a couple people tying up some loose ends at the same time is all.

Mine's running fine now and so is brook's and gotboost's also I believe.

Calabria
03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Ya, KO4 w/PC16 software. That software will drag down the MPG and reliability factor a lil though. But outa of it is 265hp/295tq...

iin10ded
03-14-2008, 03:23 PM
ok that post did it. 295lb ft out of a k04? measured at what, the Fucking brochure? i just drove a conservatively tuned gt28 car [the guy that owns 034efi's personal car] and it put down ~250.

this thread is FULL of speculation, hearsay and bullshit. i love reading people telling you to "get the k04 it will do this or that" and their sig line says "chipped k03". or comments like 'it will bring your reliability down' - how do you qualify that, exactly? personal experience, or a few threads you read?

a note about consumption of internet information - try to get actual BTDT or factual information. try to filter opinions from pepole who actually own / drive what you're looking at.

i have a 98 a4 with a k04 and giac's standard file [5barfpr, stock injectors and intercooler] and it put down 180hp on a dyno in a crap shop run by ricerocket knuckleheads [i was desperate]. however it runs like dogshit [hesitation, surging, bucks like a branded steer off-throttle, etc].

i have had 3 very well respected audi only tuners echo my problems with the giac k04 software. my experience backs this up - i've exhausted every link in the fuel and ignition systems and the car is fine - no codes, great compression, good boost / vacuum, all new or verified good parts, etc. i've tried several other solutions - different injectors, fuel pressures, etc and nothing changes the fundamental problem. i called giac and confirmed that i have the latest iteration of the 5bar k04 code.

it is my OPINION that the post 2001 cars work better [at all] with this s/w because they have a more advanced ecu [and wideband o2] that can dial engine parameters to hit a targeted a/f ratio. the early cars have a less sophisticated ecu and basically reply on preprogrammed fuel / timing maps, and i suspect are much less forgiving of glitches in the s/w. most of the people that like the k04 have later cars, from what i can tell.

maybe the pc16 / fx files are "better" but i only know what ive tried. also note the ko3s and k04 are practically the same turbo. side by side they are [virtually] indistinguishable. i would suggest you get a real k03s [your turbo sounds like a fake] and an apr chip for the ecu. it will have a good bit of pep and stock -like reliability and driveability. if you get a used turbo it's a crapshoot as to whether it will work or how long. these turbo's are not the most robust design, the oil feed port is TINY so if you buy from some1 that didn't use good oil, change at regular intervals, etc then you could get a lemon. again BTDT - with a "10k mile' used k04 that is making noise 5k miles later. live and learn. T

hope that helps.

AudiRacerS4
03-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Ya, KO4 w/PC16 software. That software will drag down the MPG and reliability factor a lil though. But outa of it is 265hp/295tq...

with what type of k04? [confused]

k04 w/ PC-16 = ~200whp and ~230wtq

audiFUEGO
03-14-2008, 03:37 PM
ok that post did it. 295lb ft out of a k04? measured at what, the Fucking brochure? i just drove a conservatively tuned gt28 car [the guy that owns 034efi's personal car] and it put down ~250.

this thread is FULL of speculation, hearsay and bullshit. i love reading people telling you to "get the k04 it will do this or that" and their sig line says "chipped k03". or comments like 'it will bring your reliability down' - how do you qualify that, exactly? personal experience, or a few threads you read?

a note about consumption of internet information - try to get actual BTDT or factual information. try to filter opinions from pepole who actually own / drive what you're looking at.

i have a 98 a4 with a k04 and giac's standard file [5barfpr, stock injectors and intercooler] and it put down 180hp on a dyno in a crap shop run by ricerocket knuckleheads [i was desperate]. however it runs like dogshit [hesitation, surging, bucks like a branded steer off-throttle, etc].

i have had 3 very well respected audi only tuners echo my problems with the giac k04 software. my experience backs this up - i've exhausted every link in the fuel and ignition systems and the car is fine - no codes, great compression, good boost / vacuum, all new or verified good parts, etc. i've tried several other solutions - different injectors, fuel pressures, etc and nothing changes the fundamental problem. i called giac and confirmed that i have the latest iteration of the 5bar k04 code.

it is my OPINION that the post 2001 cars work better [at all] with this s/w because they have a more advanced ecu [and wideband o2] that can dial engine parameters to hit a targeted a/f ratio. the early cars have a less sophisticated ecu and basically reply on preprogrammed fuel / timing maps, and i suspect are much less forgiving of glitches in the s/w. most of the people that like the k04 have later cars, from what i can tell.

maybe the pc16 / fx files are "better" but i only know what ive tried. also note the ko3s and k04 are practically the same turbo. side by side they are [virtually] indistinguishable. i would suggest you get a real k03s [your turbo sounds like a fake] and an apr chip for the ecu. it will have a good bit of pep and stock -like reliability and driveability. if you get a used turbo it's a crapshoot as to whether it will work or how long. these turbo's are not the most robust design, the oil feed port is TINY so if you buy from some1 that didn't use good oil, change at regular intervals, etc then you could get a lemon. again BTDT - with a "10k mile' used k04 that is making noise 5k miles later. live and learn. T

hope that helps.

[rolleyes]

Check the sig, am I qualified? Ok Thanks.

First off, most of the people that gave their input did it because they've been here long enough to see the countless threads covering every aspect of what the k04 brings to the table. They don't have personal experience with the K04, but they most definitely know better than you, that the "basic k04" program is not the best s/w for the k04. If is pretty well known that s/w has problems with hesitation and other problems you mentioned.

I am sorry you wasted your money on less than sufficient software, but if you had searched and read the "opinions of these inexperienced people", you would have saved yourself a lot of disappointment, as the "agressive" k04 files actually run pretty nicely.

Btw, those arent whp numbers. No one said they were.

Calabria
03-14-2008, 04:23 PM
with what type of k04? [confused]

k04 w/ PC-16 = ~200whp and ~230wtq
Ya, i wasnt saying the power at the wheels. It also off AWE.

iin10ded - Running more boost, adds more fuel/air = worse MPG due to more gas going in, am i wrong. Also, running higher boost makes the turbo more reliable? Explain this new concept to me.

audiproud
03-24-2008, 06:07 PM
So many turbos, so many opinions, so much air, get what you can afford and install it yourself.

jonrogers42
03-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Buy my turbo set up: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198982