PDA

View Full Version : ASP DTS installed.

audiFUEGO
03-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Bolted it up to the car today. Also got a pu mount to replace the shitty rubber one they send with the kit.

First impressions.... I thought it was gonna be nicer. Put it this way, I wasn't expecting the vibrating. Any time I rev the car from idle to ~1500rpms (which is basically everytime I engage 1st gear) it give a bad shake to the whole car. I feel it pretty bad in my pedals. Any RPM range, other than that and idle, is silky smooth. Shifts are much better...it just makes it so that its easier for you to shift good. I dont even want to think about what it'd be like with the rubber mount. Hopefully the mount just has to break in and loosen up a bit...[confused]

Overall, I'm glad I installed it. The piece looks very strong and well crafted.

Oh, and another thing, it definitely helps put more torque to ground... My k04 hammer kicks in pretty hard in second and third gear and before you could feel the tranny buck just as the torque hit, but now theres no more buck and you just feel solid power going straight to your wheels... thats the best way i can explain it.

audiFUEGO
03-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Oh yeah, and thanks Mike Hood for making it happen [up]

SeanF
03-05-2008, 06:48 PM
did you tighten it down with the engine running?

that can help reduce vibrations when replacing any mounts in the vehicle...

98a4
03-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Why do you engage at 1500+?

audiFUEGO
03-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Why do you engage at 1500+?

I dont... i usually give her a quick pop to ~1200-1500rpms, then smoothly catch it coming back down at ~900-1000rpm

mike-2ptzero
03-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Oh yeah, and thanks Mike Hood for making it happen [up]

Glad I could help.

98a4
03-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Gotcha

Ewok_Fetus
03-06-2008, 09:42 AM
I dont... i usually give her a quick pop to ~1200-1500rpms, then smoothly catch it coming back down at ~900-1000rpm

Learn to drive... Also, poly mount should be harder than rubber... Probably the reason why you feel so much vibration...

a220vt
03-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Where did you get the poly replacement mount for it?

audiFUEGO
03-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Learn to drive...

Please teach me [hail]

[rolleyes]

sean1.8t
03-06-2008, 06:37 PM
yeah, did you get the poly mount from energy solutions? the stock (GM engine mount) mount that comes with it is a peice of crap. throw it away.. and spend the $25 and get the poly mount.

search my name. i started a thread about it like a year ago

audiFUEGO
03-06-2008, 06:49 PM
yea i got the poly urethane mount that is linked all over these forums from summit racing. Your thread was the one that inspired me to buy this thing. The shaking gets pretty bad when i turn the AC on, and at low rpms. Does it make a difference if i'm still stock on all the other mounts?

sean1.8t
03-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Does it make a difference if i'm still stock on all the other mounts?

what do you mean?

will the vibration get worse if you install stiffer engine mounts? yes, it will

audiFUEGO
03-06-2008, 07:18 PM
what do you mean?

no i was just asking if maybe the vibration is there because i haven't done a snub mount or any other mount for that matter. Since snub mounts are usually one of the first things people do..[headbang]

98a4
03-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Snub was the best 50$ i spent on my car to date.

sean1.8t
03-06-2008, 08:03 PM
no i was just asking if maybe the vibration is there because i haven't done a snub mount or any other mount for that matter. Since snub mounts are usually one of the first things people do..[headbang]

i actually did the dts first. i put off the snub til i did the timing belt.. the 2 definately go well together though [drive]

tamadrumr88
03-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Snub was the best 50$ i spent on my car to date.

the one purems has for $25 is just as good [:D]

mike-2ptzero
03-07-2008, 06:04 AM
what do you mean?

I run solid mounts in every spot, even the driver side tranny mount is solid metal and I have zero vibrations even with cams. Before the last engine build I had a really bad vibration(dash shaking) at idle with the solid mounts, but that is gone now.

The vibration could be caused by unbalanced motor(build or tune).

Ewok_Fetus
03-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Please teach me [hail]

[rolleyes]

I just sort of find it pointless to rev past your engagement point... Helps with wear of the clutch... Now if you were on a hill I could understand... I can do a smooth take off without even touching the throttle really...

audiFUEGO
03-07-2008, 06:41 AM
I just sort of find it pointless to rev past your engagement point... Helps with wear of the clutch... Now if you were on a hill I could understand... I can do a smooth take off without even touching the throttle really...

http://birdonthemoon.com/you_win_the_prize-thumb.jpeg

Sorry had to...[:p]

No really tho, thi is just the way i learned how to drive. I dont think there's any premature clutch wear since i engage at the same rpms as anyone else. It just feels stronger to me the way i do it.

Ewok_Fetus
03-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I know what you are saying... My dad taught me how to drive stick... He is very strict/anal about manuals and his old Audi 4000Q lasted 350k on the original clutch... So he must know what he is doing... I used to do the same thing, reving up to around 1500 and taking off... He ripped me a new one but I thank him in the long run because it actually helped me to make smoother, better launches/shifts...

TQMB5
03-07-2008, 10:17 AM
smoother launches... yay! this isnt a driving how-to, lets stay on topic.

fuego did it feel like it tightened up your shifting? order a snub mount man you wont regret it and you know mike will hook ya up!

audiFUEGO
03-07-2008, 03:02 PM
definitely tightened up the shifting. Although its still very possible to shift bad... but like i said, it just maes it a bit easier for you to shift good more often.

to be honest, i love everything about it (the vibrations are even starting to grow on me) and i wouldn't ever ever ever drive another b5 without one.

Snub is next on the list