PDA

View Full Version : Chain Tensioner Gasket

BONFIRE074
03-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Threw my car up on a lift at the dealers and the tech said my Chain Tensioner Gasket is what was causing my leak...

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_valve_cover_gasket/audi_valve_cover_gasket_kit.shtml

is this what i need to get to fix it? thanks

Poopie
03-04-2008, 08:07 PM
thats correct. The part that is leaking is like $5 gasket, but you risk having the valve cover gasket leak if you reuse the old one. Do it right the first time.

BONFIRE074
03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
thats correct. The part that is leaking is like $5 gasket, but you risk having the valve cover gasket leak if you reuse the old one. Do it right the first time.

Thanks thats what i thought, not worth doing the job twice.. i hear its a pain to do the pass. side one, any tips? or does anyone know the time estimate of this job? thanks

Poopie
03-04-2008, 08:13 PM
oohh man good luck. Its probably a 4-5 hour job for a newbie to do both sides.

Do you have a manual or do you need me to give you a quick and dirty instructions?

BONFIRE074
03-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Well im a senior in High school and i have about 4-5 Auto/Shop classes a day..and my shop teacher has done them on his wifes Audi A6 2.8 avant so he already has the special tool. He will most likely be watching over my shoulder as i do it, and i just ordered the kit from blauparts and i believe they send intrustions with it as well..but any tips would be appreciated..i hear the drivers side is cake and the pass. is a PITA

Poopie
03-04-2008, 08:25 PM
eeehh both are about the same. Since hes done it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Beemer832
03-05-2008, 08:19 AM
took me like 6 hours the first time i did this and lots of cursing, swearing, and a little bit of blood. Just be patient, there is barely enough room to get the valve cover completely off of the engine because of the fuel rail and other hoses up there.

It is a LOT easier to not remove the cam chain because then you need to make sure the CAMS didn't move and your timing is off. Although this is somewhat easier, getting the gasket in and out of its location is PITA. The driver side is more of a pain because its in the back of the engine, while the passenger side is in the front.

Good luck!!

-josh

BONFIRE074
03-05-2008, 08:26 PM
The driver side is more of a pain because its in the back of the engine, while the passenger side is in the front.

Do you have that the wrong way? isnt it the other way around? IIRC the drivers side is in front.