PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to tell if your shocks are good?

Kronic Budz
03-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Ok well i want to test my shocks on my audi to see if they are still worth keeping on my car. What is the best way to tell there super worn? When i push down on the front and rear of my car it seems they spring back pretty well but idk if this is a good test or not. How can u guys usually tell when they are bad? What sounds do they make when they are bad?

brlukosk
03-04-2008, 11:53 AM
There is a recent thread that talks about blown bilsteins.

Do a google search for blown shocks and you should also find some info.

Best way to tell is with the shocks off the car. If you are able to compress them without much effort they are blown. On the car, if you compress the suspension it should jump back quickly without bouncing.

onemoremile
03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Push down as hard as you can on each corner and watch it rebound. It should stop moving rather quickly. If it keeps going up and down then you have at least one bad strut. All a strut or shock does is slow down the spring's reaction.

HIERLEVELZ
03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Usually the car will bounce more than usual and the rear end gets all squirly or squeek. Those are some tell tale signs.

audiness
03-04-2008, 08:18 PM
open your door. Stand on the door sill . jump off. if the car rocks more than 1 time back and fourth, you need new shocks prolly

VOoDooGTX
03-04-2008, 08:36 PM
drive liek 90 then cut the wheel as hard as you can, if it rolls you got a bad strut.

kingtr
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
drive liek 90 then cut the wheel as hard as you can, if it rolls you got a bad strut.

Runs outside to test your method....

Kronic Budz
03-04-2008, 10:09 PM

lol think how funny that would be if someone ACTUALLY did that?

B5 SLPR
03-04-2008, 10:15 PM
I know of a few ppl that would try that. I better make sure my roomate doesnt read this.

onemoremile
03-05-2008, 07:57 AM

That reminds me of this:

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

oneohone
03-05-2008, 08:17 AM
That reminds me of this:

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Nice.