PDA

View Full Version : Coilpacks? (Updated with MORE FUN!)

sixfiveoh
03-04-2008, 10:20 AM
So here is my latest problem, ladies and gents [:D]

When I floor my car, it seems to sputter and cut out, almost as if it's not getting any fuel. The boost is staying up at around 9psi though (which is a little low, usually under full load, my car boosts like 11psi) so I ruled out my previous thought of it being the boost control valve which had gone bad on me a few months earlier. I get the flashing CEL every once in a while, and eventually my car goes into limp. I pull a code for misfiring cylinders and I think last time I scanned, an 02 sensor as well. Does this sound like the coilpacks? I've had the car for 20k and have yet to change the spark plugs or coil packs.

[up]

Ewok_Fetus
03-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Hahaha, sounds like a bad MAF... LOL!

sixfiveoh
03-04-2008, 10:29 AM
NOOOO!

I can't take any more bullshit about that MAF lol. I'm praying it's something else...

Nebone
03-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I went through 2 coil packs on my 2001.5. My misfiring occured at WOT at ~9-10 psi and couldn't reach the normal 15.

If you VAG it, you can watch which cylinder misfires. I forgot which block it is tho but it will be Cylinder 1 then Cylinder 2 etc. If it stays at 0 then that cylinder does not misfire. If it starts schooting numbers than that cylinder is misfiring. Find out which one then take that coil pack, stick it into a working cylinder and repeat the excercise.

Ewok_Fetus
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
NOOOO!

I can't take any more bullshit about that MAF lol. I'm praying it's something else...

Did you ever buy that connector? If not, I would do that... Seriously... When I get problems with my MAF, it gives me misfire codes, o2 codes, sometimes SAI codes and lean codes... But the misfires and o2 come up first... How about your A/C? Does that still work?

sixfiveoh
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I went through 2 coil packs on my 2001.5. My misfiring occured at WOT at ~9-10 psi and couldn't reach the normal 15.

If you VAG it, you can watch which cylinder misfires. I forgot which block it is tho but it will be Cylinder 1 then Cylinder 2 etc. If it stays at 0 then that cylinder does not misfire. If it starts schooting numbers than that cylinder is misfiring. Find out which one then take that coil pack, stick it into a working cylinder and repeat the excercise.

Those symptoms sound exactly like mine. If there's no time for my car at Streetwerke today, I'll do that. But I'd rather leave it to the professionals at this point. This car is driving me nuts.

Did you ever buy that connector? If not, I would do that... Seriously... When I get problems with my MAF, it gives me misfire codes, o2 codes, sometimes SAI codes and lean codes... But the misfires and o2 come up first... How about your A/C? Does that still work?

Yeah, I bought the plug housing and wired it back up, my A/C is all good again, that's the green wire I believe. So far I haven't seen any more codes for the MAF...

sixfiveoh
03-04-2008, 11:31 AM
FWIW, I believe I was reading a misfire in cyl 1-3, but I don't remember.

Ewok_Fetus
03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Can you log your MAF again to see if you are getting the correct readings? Also, what version are your coil packs?

sixfiveoh
03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Can you log your MAF again to see if you are getting the correct readings? Also, what version are your coil packs?

I will log the MAF when I get home. What block is it? 031? As for the coil packs, I have no idea, but going from ECS's replacement recommendation for a 2001, I'd guess version "E"?

Nebone
03-04-2008, 12:20 PM
R is the current revision.

Follow the procedure I outlined above and you'll know whats wrong.

Ewok_Fetus
03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Hahaha, another simple thing you can try is new plugs... Cheap and quick...

Squarrl
03-04-2008, 02:42 PM
E is supposed to be better then R... I replaced the R that failed in my car with E

317ssayzarc
03-04-2008, 02:47 PM
well tecnically r is the latest revision to my knowledge... i run the hitachi bolt downs on my golf and havent blown one yet... blew several push down ones, 3 in 30k i believe

sixfiveoh
03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
OK so apparently it's not the coilpacks. More along the lines of N75 or diverter valve?

sixfiveoh
03-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Tried changing the spark plugs, no luck. Pulled a code for running lean... maybe the fuel filter?

317ssayzarc
03-04-2008, 11:01 PM
you fix that leak yet?

Poopie
03-04-2008, 11:02 PM
sorry man your car is cursed. burn it!

Its not the fuel filter

sixfiveoh
03-04-2008, 11:04 PM
you fix that leak yet?

Sure did. [:|]

sorry man your car is cursed. burn it!

Its not the fuel filter

I'm really thinking N75 at this point. I had problems with it in the past, it had a faulty connection when I bought the car, I didn't know about it though, because it wasn't throwing a CEL, just had the car in limp mode. But the code it threw was for the N75 solenoid, the only code I'm throwing now is for running lean.

317ssayzarc
03-04-2008, 11:21 PM
ok if your convinced its the n75 do this...

look at the last letter in the part number on the n75... tell me what it says...

if its a match to mine, we can swap... i dont need one that works, it just has to be plugged in to keep my ecu happy... as long as you dont get a DTC for it, we can swap [up]

sixfiveoh
03-04-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm pretty sure mine is an F valve, not sure though, give me a little bit to look around...

317ssayzarc
03-04-2008, 11:30 PM
my golf is an f valve, not sure what my audi is tho...

sixfiveoh
03-04-2008, 11:33 PM
98s should be "C" IIRC.

speedydragon
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
n75f is the newer version I think. I think that's the right one for our cars.

317ssayzarc
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
take that maf connector plug outta your sig will ya [:p]

sixfiveoh
03-04-2008, 11:44 PM
take that maf connector plug outta your sig will ya [:p]

Done [up]

Does this sound at all like it could be being caused by the N75? Or the diverter? If you had to make one guess as to what the culprit would be, what would you guess? Cmon, guys, it's like a game show! $1 paypal'd to the person who gets it right!

I think I'm losing my mind though.

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 01:11 AM
You guys are insane to turn down a dollar.

Ewok_Fetus
03-05-2008, 07:24 AM
You log the MAF? Do you have any sort of boost controller? I am still saying MAF...

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:24 AM
still getting lean code?

turn key on but do not start car..what does block 032 say?

w/ car running and up to temp..what sort of activity does 031 show?

and what does 002 say your maf readings are ?

have you checked the L shaped hose on the side of the intake mani going to the suction pump ?

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 09:42 AM
No boost controller, the tech logged the MAF yesterday and said it's normal. I'll log it and everything Ian suggested in about an hour.

oneighty
03-05-2008, 11:17 AM
This is exactly what my car is doing now, my chip lets me boost to about 18psi but if i try to just hold it around 10ish the whole car sputters and falls on its face. Sometimes it will shoot up to 18 quick and smooth, others it will stop around 10 and bog down.

A friend of mine works for audi and logged everything and it all checks out fine, only a stored code for incorrect reading at the second O2, no misfires show up, he had me unplug the maf and drive for a day so it would run off the base maps and it helped but after about 45 minutes of driving it was back to the same.

Im just hesitant to drop alot of money on the MAF without being 100% sure thats the porblem. Not to jack your thread, but if there is anyone local that can swap MAF's with me for a day to test it out that would be awesome!

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Those previous symptoms are EXACTLY mine as well. Sometimes it will shoot up to the full boost fine, sometimes it will fall on it's face. I too unplugged the MAF thinking that was the culprit but that did nothing. Which is what leads me to think the N75 or diverter is getting stuck because that's almost what it feels like when I'm boosting. Going out to log those blocks now...

Poopie
03-05-2008, 12:34 PM
it could be your DV stuck open all the time but usually created a rich condition.

It COULD be the n75.

oneighty
03-05-2008, 12:35 PM
I forgot to mention he also had me cap off the vacuum line going to the bov, I though that since I run a Forge004 it was the problem so i pulled the vacuum line off the manifold and put a cap there so the bov would sit there sealed and act as though my system had no type of pressure release at all... just for a few pulls so I could rule it out and I now dont feel that is the problem either. I have already bypassed the N249 which helped a little bit. I need to go order a Vag cable so I can do some logging on my own time.

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 12:38 PM
have you checked the L shaped hose on the side of the intake mani going to the suction pump ?

I just replaced that L shaped hose recently if we're thinking of the same thing. From an overhead view, it's kinda to the left of the coolant expansion tank? The line has a slight bend in it because it was just a straight hose I got from autozone and forced it into that L shape, but it's been on the car for like 6 months I'd say and no problems with it...

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5341/img7508wb8.jpg

turn key on but do not start car..what does block 032 say?

-1.5% at idle, 21.1% partial throttle

w/ car running and up to temp..what sort of activity does 031 show?

With the car running and up to temp, the lambada reading fluctuates from .984 to 1

and what does 002 say your maf readings are ?

It's reading around 2.3g/s

The lean code comes and goes. Right now I'm not throwing any codes (except for the one telling me my ABS module is about to take a shit [headbang])

Ewok_Fetus
03-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I just replaced that L shaped hose recently if we're thinking of the same thing. From an overhead view, it's kinda to the left of the coolant expansion tank? The line has a slight bend in it because it was just a straight hose I got from autozone and forced it into that L shape, but it's been on the car for like 6 months I'd say and no problems with it...

With the car running and up to temp, the lambada reading fluctuates from .984 to 1

It's reading around 2.3g/s

The lean code comes and goes. Right now I'm not throwing any codes (except for the one telling me my ABS module is about to take a shit [headbang])

To log the MAF, you should be in 3rd gear and do a WOT run from about 3500 to redline... THEN see what the values are...

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 01:13 PM
That was weird...

So when I was logging, my car was like acting normal. Boosting and holding it, not falling on it's face. It's still not holding what it should (was spiking at like 10-11 and only holding maybe 9) but it was being normal otherwise...

My laptop ran out of batteries in mid log though haha, so I'm charging it for a few and then I'll go do it again...

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 01:28 PM
that doesnt really make sense

for the ecu to request 21% more fuel in adaptation and your o2 sensor showing full rich is really strange

21% partial throttle would mean the ecu thinks the car is super lean

yea...im not sure about that one...

stock ecu ?

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
that doesnt really make sense

for the ecu to request 21% more fuel in adaptation and your o2 sensor showing full rich is really strange

21% partial throttle would mean the ecu thinks the car is super lean

yea...im not sure about that one...

stock ecu ?

Yeah, stock ECU. The first reading was with the engine off, the second with it on, that was correct, right? I pull a lean code every once in a while... here's a MAF log from a 3rd gear pull. Once again, the car seems to be acting normal now, aside from the slightly lower boost [confused]

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwZSQlG13OQEXDNj0J6TofA

Ewok_Fetus
03-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Yep! Told ya! Bad maf... You should be at least 120 g/s... You MIGHT be able to clean it with MAF cleaner and check... I would do a good 2-3 cleanings and see if it helps the numbers out... How did you do the MAF connector BTW? Did you get a whole NEW connector or a used one and solder the connector...

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 02:08 PM
I bought a brand new one, soldered the old wires to the new ones that were provided with the housing. Seriously? It's the MAF?! Would that be causing all these symptoms? And wouldn't the symptoms go away when I unplug the MAF?

Ewok_Fetus
03-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Well, your MAF readings are low... Low readings make your car thing that less air is comming in and compensates the lesser readings with less fuel... Less fuel with the amount of air you are pushing (9-11 psi) means you ARE actually lean...

317ssayzarc
03-05-2008, 02:14 PM
maybe drop across your bad solders lol

Ewok_Fetus
03-05-2008, 02:17 PM

That is what I was thinking and the original reason I told him to just get the connector and pins and not solder... Honestly though, clean the MAF and see if that helps... I doubt it will but it is worth a try... Could be that with the bad connection from the first place, it started to deteriorate the MAF... I have the theory behind it in my head and it is a good one but I don't know without seeing specific diagrams...

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Bah. I'll try cleaning the sensor after I get back from class... Isn't it generally recommended to replace sensors rather than clean them though?

Haha, it's making connection I know that for sure. I don't think its the solders, I don't see how it could be?

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Strange that the mechanics I took the car to didn't catch this though, they logged my MAF too, I saw them do it...

Ewok_Fetus
03-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Bah. I'll try cleaning the sensor after I get back from class... Isn't it generally recommended to replace sensors rather than clean them though?

Haha, it's making connection I know that for sure. I don't think its the solders, I don't see how it could be?

Solder generally increases resistance of a circuit... Especailly a circuit like these... Shouldn't be too bad though... Yes, it is RECOMMENDED to change the sensor but cleaning it won't hurt... Cleaning is just a temporary thing and I find it works for maybe 3 months before it shits the bed again...

Ewok_Fetus
03-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Strange that the mechanics I took the car to didn't catch this though, they logged my MAF too, I saw them do it...

Did they just do the idle log or the WOT log? WOT is where your problem lies correct? Don't have much of an idle problem?!

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 02:23 PM
If my solders were bad, wouldn't I be getting a voltage too low code for my MAF? The guy hooked up his laptop and went around the block, I'm assuming they logged it at WOT? Guess not, or this would have been pretty apparent...

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 02:43 PM
yea dude..your g's look a little low

i wouldnt worry about soldering the wires vs resistance...i solder the 4 new wires to the old harness when i replaced my maf connector..that was over a year ago and it has been good since

but it looks like you def have a problem somewhere regarding the maf

i know its a little annoying to get to but did you check the dv @ all?

Ewok_Fetus
03-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Only time that I had LOW MAF readings like that one a new MAF were when I had a major boost leak... Also, I would get an original L hose and not a ghetto fabbed one like you have!! LOL probably not your problem but it does look a little kinked... Don't even know what that hose goes to! [:p]

speedydragon
03-05-2008, 03:10 PM
9-11psi is average for non chipped though..

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm going out to clean the MAF sensor real quick, if that's not it, I'll start looking into the valves again...

9-11psi is average for non chipped though..

Yeah, but when under full load my car has never held just 8-9psi, it's always been at least 10, sometimes even up to 12 on my gauge...

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Ok, here's a 3rd gear pull after I cleaned the MAF, better numbers, but still not near 120 g/s, and it still feels like it's lacking power.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwZSQlG13OQEmM58U9DfpdQ

BTW, I'm starting to hear a fast clicking when I'm turning left... axle?

Yaktizzle417
03-05-2008, 05:11 PM
The clicking sound is probably an axle. (I have no clue on our cars computer shit, but mechanical stuff I can help with haha)

Check your CV boot and joint. If its torn and it looks like the grease is all over your wheel or surrounding area, and not inside the joint.. you probably need an axle.

The clicking sound almost always means you need an axle.

I think its time for you to dump your car off onto some stupid ass kid and get one in better shape!

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm absolutely sure my CV boot is torn, it has been since I bought the car, my replacement boot just came in last week. I was hoping I could get the boot changed before the joint went, but oh well...

The car really is in pretty good shape, it's just all these little things happen at once... it sucks...

So you guys are saying it's not the fuel filter though?

Yaktizzle417
03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Yeah, then in all likelihood your axle is shot.

Happened to me.

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 06:59 PM
So let me just clear up what the situation is now. After cleaning the MAF, my g/s got closer, but still aren't quite to spec. Here is the log from the WOT pull after I cleaned the MAF sensor:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwZSQlG13OQEmM58U9DfpdQ

The car is not falling flat on its face at WOT anymore for some reason. It wasn't even before I cleaned the MAF today, just this morning it seemed to stop doing it. Maybe this has to do with replacing the spark plugs last night? Does this seem like my only problem left is my MAF? The car still has some trouble holding 10-11psi, and often it will bounce off 10 and stick at 8-9psi. What should I look to do next?

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:01 PM
maybe i missed it but how old is your sensor?

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I have no idea. It came with the car which I bought with 47k around 10 months now. The car has 67k, all I know is the previous owner had the 45k inspection done, I doubt they change the MAF then unless it was bad, but idk.

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:08 PM
double check your pcv system

but i would at the least look in to swapping sensors w/ a known good one and going for a test drive

i *think* your car has an 06a 906 461l/lx sensor ..most any 1.8t mk4 uses that sensor ..i dont have etka in front of me right now so i cant check

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Hmm, PCV? I wonder if this could have to do with the hose I just replaced that was ripped last week?

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3673/img7498ys6.jpg

I bought the part from the dealer and replaced it, it's on snug, but the clamp for the 3rd opening of the hose (the one that goes down that you can't see) used a one time clamp that I haven't replaced yet, it's on there without a clamp right now. But it seems pretty snug...

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:12 PM
btw..you possibly may be able to get by w/ only replacing the boot but you would need to replace/regrease like yesterday

if you keep driving you will for sure need an axle..you probably need one now though too so...

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:14 PM
I bought the part from the dealer and replaced it, it's on snug, but the clamp for the 3rd opening of the hose (the one that goes down that you can't see) used a one time clamp that I haven't replaced yet, it's on there without a clamp right now. But it seems pretty snug...
it is fine like that

i worked @ a vw dealer and a lot of the techs would only replace the 2 top clamps and leave the bottom one minus a clamp

Nebone
03-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Your car shouldn't even hit 11 psi stock. AWM will peak 9 maybe 10 psi, so that is what you are getting.

What is happening with the car now? You don't have anymore codes right. Trade N75s with Jake but that does not look like a necessity.

The OEM N75 on the AMW is "C"

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 07:17 PM
The car runs fine until it goes into limp, and I pull the system too lean code. So something is still screwed up. BUT, I'm getting closer [:D]. Optimism at it's finest over here...

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:18 PM
did you ever reset the ecu after replacing that hose?

Nebone
03-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Did you check that L hose on the right of the IM. I got a Lean Code once and then crazy misfires even at idle and then found that hose had a nasty tear in it.

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 07:19 PM
did you ever reset the ecu after replacing that hose?

Countless times. I've been clearing a set of codes each day. Or do you mean the remove the battery terminal for 20 minutes method?

Did you check that L hose on the right of the IM. I got a Lean Code once and then crazy misfires even at idle and then found that hose had a nasty tear in it.

4th post down on pg. 2 [:D]

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
no i mean clear codes via vag...which you have done

and it still goes back to +21% fuel ? and you said 031 showed a reading of close to 1 most of the time? ..none of the blocks in 031 showed close to 0 did they?

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Should I try those blocks again since I cleaned my MAF?

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:25 PM
if you still say the car is driving normal then i would check 032

how long has it been since you cleared codes?

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Just after I pulled up to my house around 20 minutes ago... I'll go check 032 real quick...

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:30 PM
if you just pulled up and havent really run the car after clearing codes then 032 will show 0.0%..or at least it should

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Block 032 now says 0% at idle and 0% partial throttle...

031 continues to fluctuate between .984 to 1...

edit: ahh okay haha. I'll go drive the car a little bit? How long?

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:39 PM
yes...a little while longer

do you know what you are looking @ when you check 032?

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I have no idea... how much extra fuel is being used? Should it read 0% or close to it?

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:48 PM
032 is fuel trims (adaptation)

if the ecu thinks it is taking in "x" amount of air (maf g's) it should inject "y" amount of fuel, and then it checks the mixture via the front o2

if it is too rich or too lean then adaptation will do its best to correct the problem so the mixture cruising is 14.7 and whatever else it feels is the correct a/f for a certain load, ect

if you have a good set up then yes, it should read right around 0% for both idle and partial throttle

-1% @ idle is no big deal..all cars probably show a small percentage there

21% partial throttle though means the ecu thinks the car is running super lean and is adding lots of fuel to try to correct the problem

and that is why you get the lean code

the reason it makes sense that your mass air meter is defective because if you show 92g/s, the ecu injects a certain amount of fuel...IF the maf is reading low and you are actually taking in more air than what it is reporting to the ecu then the o2 sensor will show lean...so the ecu adds fuel...

032 is a good tool for sizing maf vs injectors and also doing fuel tweaks w/ lemmi

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 07:52 PM
So if I'm adding fuel, wouldn't the rear o2 sensor pick up that extra fuel the ecu is adding to make up for the faulty MAF and read that I am running rich?

BTW, .2% at idle, 0% partial throttle is what I'm getting after a drive through the neighborhood. Does it need to be driven more?

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 07:54 PM
rear o2 only checks catalyst efficiency..it has nothing to do w/ afr

front o2 is mixture checking

if the car is indeed running lean then the front o2 is the reason you are adding fuel ;) which is a good thing

edit: you will need to put a few miles on it, yes, to get an accurate %

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Ok, I'm off to do more driving. BTW, you're the shit for all this help [up]

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
-1.9% at idle, 21.9% partial throttle [:(]

Lambada is still reading within .02 of spec.

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 08:15 PM
and if you are sure you have no leaks in the intake system then i would say def try a new mass air meter

borrow before you buy if you can :)

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm sure as far as I know... There's nothing in plain sight that is torn or anything. I'm guessing cleaning the sensor again wouldn't do much, I think I read something about cleaning it 3 times for best results? Or maybe I'm just hoping I read that... [:|]

I'll see if I can do a quick MAF swap, by any chance, do you know if an 04 GLI 1.8t has the same part?

If it's not the MAF sensor, I might just have to drive the car off a cliff...

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 08:22 PM
04 gli i think has same sensor

i know it has the 461l/lx sensor

yours is either l or n..im not 100% sure

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Will I visually be able to tell by the housing, or is it a difference within the sensor itself...

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 08:28 PM
check the part # stamped in the side of the housing ;)

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah I knew that. Just testing you. [:D]

317ssayzarc
03-05-2008, 08:40 PM
mines an "F" n75 btw [;)]

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 08:49 PM
mines an "F" n75 btw [;)]

What's your take on the car based on all the info I posted the last couple pages? After I changed the spark plugs last night I took it for a drive and it was still doing that cutting out shit, but this morning it wasn't anymore. Does it need time to recalibrate or something? Would you agree it looks like the MAF is the rest of the problem?

317ssayzarc
03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
and if you are sure you have no leaks in the intake system then i would say def try a new mass air meter

borrow before you buy if you can :)

thats my take [;)]

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 08:53 PM
You guys save me so much money.

[az]

Nebone
03-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Try the new MAF man.

k0mpresd
03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
it helps a lot that you have vag..vag is an awesome diag tool

sixfiveoh
03-05-2008, 11:37 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA!

Check the logs, guys:

Had my buddy swap MAFs with me, here's the log with his MAF
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwZSQlG13OQFSjdNkiYzhFg

Needless to say, I was pretty happy. Figured I'd try to clean mine up one last time in hopes that it would hold me over a little longer... here's the log after I cleaned mine again:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwZSQlG13OQHYUCzunYuPXg

Feels good to know wtf is going on [up]

Ewok_Fetus
03-06-2008, 06:05 AM
I told ya in my first post sounded like a maf! LOL! I have gone through so many it isn't even funny... Call me the MAF master! But yea, our car and a lot of the newer 1.8t's have the same MAF. I got a couple of mine from the Beetles... 461 L

k0mpresd
03-06-2008, 06:19 AM
that looks a lot more like it

glad you got it fixed or atleast know what the problem is

edit: so who gets the $1 ? haha :p

317ssayzarc
03-06-2008, 10:05 AM
i have a 2004 TDI MAF sitting around, brand new... is that sensor the same? i know the housing is prob different...

k0mpresd
03-06-2008, 10:09 AM
jake..bew engine uses 038 906 461b/bx sensor

so no :(

317ssayzarc
03-06-2008, 10:32 AM
jake..bew engine uses 038 906 461b/bx sensor

so no :(

figured it was worth a try... oh well [:(]

Ewok_Fetus
03-06-2008, 10:47 AM
edit: so who gets the $1 ? haha :p

ME!

Nebone
03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
So this used carbonio intake and DIY installation just cost you time, money, lots of grief and 4 pages of AZ server space. :)

Don't hate the playa (Audi), hate the game (modding).

sixfiveoh
03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Yeah seriously, the money I saved on the Carbonio just went into a new MAF connector, MAF, and tons of time and aggravation.

Lol, if you seriously want the $1, pm me your paypal. I'll keep my word on that one haha...

Where's a good place to get a MAF for a good price. I can get my hands on one today for $140 but idk if I should browse around more?

k0mpresd
03-06-2008, 11:00 AM
$140 is a decent price

they retail new for $190

Ewok_Fetus
03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah, don't buy used... I find they last maybe 9k miles tops... Since I got a new one and returned all intake stuff back to stock, and went GIAC instead of Upsolute, I haven't had any more problems...

sixfiveoh
03-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Well, bit the bullet and ordered a brand new one for $140 from Streetwerke. I'll be picking it up today, and hopefully my posts will cease [:D]

Ewok, my Carbonio shouldn't be causing any damage to the MAF, right? It's an unoiled filter (unless the previous guy oiled it for some reason). I'll probably go back to stock airbox eventually, but I love the sound too much at this point [:D]. It's a good alternative (audibly) to a tp/dp/dv for now.

Ewok_Fetus
03-06-2008, 11:46 AM
No not really, I am not one to beleive that filter oils damage MAFs... Sure they can degrade the signal but not by that much... On my car, someone cut the horn and I replaced that. I also heard, don't know about this, that when chip companies do their tune, they increase the current going through the MAF... I have actually heard a few people with Upsolute go through MAFs like none other... I think this was my case... Maybe a mix of Upsolute and the cut horn...

hoganalley
03-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey guys.....Sorry to thread jack here, but I'm having similar issues to sixfiveoh. I'm trying to get out and do some logging this afternoon, but stupid work keeps getting in the way. I have one problem though. Can anyone tell me what the MAF numbers should be if I'm chipped?

Ewok_Fetus
03-06-2008, 12:09 PM
170's-180's... Depending on weather...

hoganalley
03-06-2008, 01:53 PM
that's not good. Last log I did I believe I was pulling 120's-130's WOT....I guess I'm not far behind sixfiveoh! God damn MAF

Edit: Although it winter here......so that will hurt a bit

sixfiveoh
03-06-2008, 07:53 PM
So I replaced the MAF when I got home, YES! That was the problem, I'm so relieved. I peaked at like 159g/s, and the car feels much stronger, normal again. I also calculated my CAPS time for the hell of it. 7.73 which looks to be a record out of those listed for a stock A4? Even faster than one guy's A4 on 94 oct (I'm on 91) and he's boosting at 15psi... [confused]

hoganalley
03-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Awesome! Way to go! I've put in another MAF I had laying around....it was actually my original one (long story) so I'm going to see what I get tomorrow. I'm going to run some logs asap before the snow and see what I get. I was only at 120 before, so hopefully this gets it up higher. I'll post up when I get everything done!

sixfiveoh
03-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Awesome! Way to go! I've put in another MAF I had laying around....it was actually my original one (long story) so I'm going to see what I get tomorrow. I'm going to run some logs asap before the snow and see what I get. I was only at 120 before, so hopefully this gets it up higher. I'll post up when I get everything done!

Best of luck, man. It's a great feeling [:D]

But to think that's just one thing off the list of problems [headbang]

oneighty
03-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I guess I know what I need to do now although Id still like to test with someone local first... any takers?

Ewok_Fetus
03-07-2008, 06:15 AM
So I replaced the MAF when I got home, YES! That was the problem, I'm so relieved. I peaked at like 159g/s, and the car feels much stronger, normal again. I also calculated my CAPS time for the hell of it. 7.73 which looks to be a record out of those listed for a stock A4? Even faster than one guy's A4 on 94 oct (I'm on 91) and he's boosting at 15psi... [confused]

I hate you ass... TONS of mods here with a 9.66 caps... LOL! Sure you weren't in 2nd gear! [evilsmile]

hoganalley
03-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Alright boys.....I'm going out to log around noon today, so I'll get some hard numbers then, but I replaced the MAF in my car with the one that originally came with my car and the difference is EXTREMELY noticeable. It's not perfect, but way better than it was. The MAF that was in there was from a 97 AEB. What makes each MAF so different? I can't believe they're that sensitive......

hoganalley
03-07-2008, 10:34 AM
MAF Log from today
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/thumbs/MAF_Log1.jpg
O2 Log from today
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/thumbs/O2_Log.jpg

Sorry for the time stamps......there wasn't anything running, but they gave me really weird times...anywho....

Since I installed a CLEANED stock MAF, I'm back up to where I should be. There was some stuttering in low gears that is now gone, and I hope this will make me run the correct A/F mixture....my plugs were white!

Also, O2 readings seem a little low....shouldn't they be closer to 1? Help with that please!!

Sorry if the pics are small....I"m still working on this!

Ewok_Fetus
03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
LOL! I need a magnafying glass to read those...

hoganalley
03-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I know! WTF?!!! I suck at posting pics. If you click on My Gallery, they're bigger......

Sorry guys....I'm a tool! :)

sixfiveoh
03-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I hate you ass... TONS of mods here with a 9.66 caps... LOL! Sure you weren't in 2nd gear! [evilsmile]

Lol, positive it was 3rd. I'm FWD if that eases the pain at all?

oneighty
03-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Im waiting on my Vag cable to come in the mail so I can do a few logs. My motor is an ATW and my friend has an older passat which is a different engine code, is there any problem with us swapping mafs for a test run?

oneighty
03-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I just got my cable today and I think its the best day of my life. OK, pre cable the car would hesitate at 10psi ect ect. So first thing I do with the cable is scan for stored codes. I posted them here (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196676). Then I went through and cleared all the codes. Then I decided to do my first log based on the stuff you guys laid out here in this thread. Here is that log (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p38CohO9gyhPNxTRj9WoFEA). Now when I look at the log with my unprofessional eye it appears that my maf is perfect. So I go drive around some more and try to hold 10psi and it feels great, no hesitation, no problems, even feels stronger. Is it possible that just clearing those codes was my saving grace?????

hoganalley
03-15-2008, 08:37 AM
For sure clearing the codes made it run better. The trick is whether they come back or not. On your other thread where you posted your codes, the one poster had it right. You're O2 is on it's way out. It's only a matter of time before it acts up again and probably causes the same problems. Clearing codes always makes everything run well until it happens again. The way VAG works is it only shows a CEL when the same fault happens 3 times, but it shows a code immediately. Scan it in a couple of days and see what you find......

oneighty
03-15-2008, 09:05 AM
But the important thing is that my MAF is ok, or at least it looks that way to me, it that correct? So theoretically if I replace the rear O2 I can be in the clear?

hoganalley
03-15-2008, 09:18 AM
your MAF does look ok. I got 185 peak in mine, so you might be a little low, but nothing that would make it horrible. The BASIC, and I mean basic, general rule of thumb is your MAF should be ~80% of your horsepower. If you're stock, 150*.80=120...which is about right for a stock MAF reading. Depending what tune you have, you can deduce from there.

If you replace the O2 sensor, you should be fine...are you sure it's your rear sensor though? The front one is the one that affects air/fuel/boost issues......

oneighty
03-15-2008, 10:04 AM
The code for the O2 is 17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor: B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High, I'm pretty sure thats bank 1 sensor 2 meaning the rear, someone correct me if Im wrong.

hoganalley
03-15-2008, 12:10 PM
my apologies, you are correct. check the resistance of the circuit and sensor. you'll probably find the sensor is bad. that usually doesn't affect drivability that much though...

Nebone
04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Irony. I contributed to this long yet helpfull post and now I am having the SAME issue with my AWM. Low MAF readings, lean codes, random misfires and even a knock sensor code. Now I just need a place to find a MAFfor a good price.