PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Clutch Or Tranny???

projectdarka4
03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
So im driving home a couple miles away... red light turns green, and i go.. go to shift into second, goes in, and loud ass popping noise, comes out of gear... put it back in and release the clutch, it pops right back out with a loud ass pop again... im scared shitless at this point and idk what to do... the second gear wont hold it at all.. so now im driving first to third gear.... WHAT IS WRONG!!!

andyrew
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
well... if its gear specific I would say trani..

Does it go into 4th or reverse? It might be your linkage binding on something, or your mounts moving the trani...

Nebone
03-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I hear when this happens is the transmission. 2nd gear FTL Syncronizer went by bye

bob12312357
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Does ur clutch feel diffrent. I had a similiar incident in my MR2 driving like a madman on the highway go drop into 4th at 110 and when I go to shift in to 5th it starts grinding through the gears. None worked. The slave blew,I had to pump the clutch at stops 2 get pressure to get started then shifted clutchless. Hopefully its the clutch cylinder. We need more info on the symptoms. Is it grinding all the gears. Is the engagement point diffrent suddenly? Is the clutch slipping or catching especially low?

Ewok_Fetus
03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Sorry to say, but tranny! Might want to check to see if your fluids are still good and not too low... Maybe a change might help too... I drove a BMW that slipped out of 2nd all the time... Changed the fluid and it was good!

whoace
03-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I hear when this happens is the transmission. 2nd gear FTL Syncronizer went by bye

If it is the synchro, should happen in 1st too.

nrosei4
03-04-2008, 04:03 PM
If you end up needing a transmission, I have a 5 speed in perfect working order in Michigan. FYI. [;)] Just PM me.

Mawhitey
03-04-2008, 04:39 PM
My vote is tranny, but i would swap out the clutch when doing the tanny anyway to save work another day for the cost of a few bucks

projectdarka4
03-04-2008, 07:02 PM
ok heres the specs... every gear is fine except second... when i push the clutch in, it goes into second, but when i let the clutch out, it pops out and grinds.... everything else is fine... i really wish it was just the clutch because i was seriously like on my way home to order the southbend stage 3... now im getting the assumption i need a new tranny too....

bob12312357
03-04-2008, 09:32 PM
ok heres the specs... every gear is fine except second... when i push the clutch in, it goes into second, but when i let the clutch out, it pops out and grinds.... everything else is fine... i really wish it was just the clutch because i was seriously like on my way home to order the southbend stage 3... now im getting the assumption i need a new tranny too....
I tried having a positive out look,but now with these facts looksl ike ur gonna be gettin a new tranny.

Stampy
03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Sorry man. I think its the tranny too. I don't even know anywhere local to recommend you to go.

Poopie
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
sounds like a tranny issue

projectdarka4
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
every1 seems to think that... im taking it to get looked at by a personal friend/mechanic... he seems to think tranny too from what i told him... im jus really really upset cuz like i dont have the money, and neither do my parents to fix it... i had set aside 1000 for the clutch plus install... im not gonna do things twice so i would rather just get it all done at once... this sucks... im gonna have to park my car and i have nothing else to drive

Poopie
03-04-2008, 10:15 PM
its not all lost man. Just do the install yourself. Im sure you can pick up a clutch for and tranny for just about 1000 buckaroos. Contact mike hood for a southbend clutch. I'm pretty sure he can save you some coin on the clutch and go to a local dismantler and see what they charge for a tranny. I can get a tranny near me for about 500 bucks.

Poopie
03-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Spalding Auto Parts - ARAPro USA-WA(Spokane) E-mail 1-800-366-2070

they have a tranny...85k miles on it...650 bucks.