PDA

View Full Version : Rust proofing?

.Mad Hatter.
03-03-2008, 07:14 PM
I asked my mechanic about getting my car sprayed and he said its not necessary due to the galvanized steel. However, what about the underside, suspension, subframe, door hinges, etc, etc.

Im noticing some corrosion in my door hinges, and on the subframe...not rot, just some surface rust. Also, for some reason there is a VERY small little spot coming up on the door right in front of the mirror....at the seam.

What do you guys think? I plan to keep this car and I do not want it to rot.

pfa65
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Rust is cancer. The best thing to do is stop it or control it as early as possible. My door jams and hinges had a few little spots cropping up so I did my best to sand/scrape the rust off as surgically as possible. Nail polish works pretty well covering up the remainder. You could try to color match, or just use clear coat.
As far as external body panels which may show, I'm sure you can go as far as replacing the panel completely or do a local repair on the panel. It's up to you, but the rust will not go away on its own.
When installing my coils, some of my suspension parts were pretty tired rust wise. Those could get replaced, but it's all about the costs and benefits. Have a mechanic judge the structural components if you aren't sure. Although, most Audi engineering is fail-safe in some form or another.
Fact of the matter is, steel is still a natural element, and will oxidize if exposed to air and water. Keep it under paint and all is well. Good luck

.Mad Hatter.
03-04-2008, 04:48 AM
So...would you get it sprayed?

Does anyone get their B5 sprayed?

blacka4
03-04-2008, 05:54 AM
my car is a 99.5 and has over 113K. The paint is a little scratched but I have no rust issues. i don't plan on getting my car repainted unless I absolutely have too

Blake260
03-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I heard in the s4 forum taht audi's have a ten year corrosion warrenty...is there any truth to this rumor?

onemoremile
03-04-2008, 08:49 AM
The corrosion warranty is for perforated body panels. Our panels are double sided galvanized so it isn't going to happen.

The other rust isn't a big deal either. The S4 now has over 210k miles and it just isn't a problem. Michigan uses a ridiculous amount of salt per lane mile (over 22 tons) so we are a worst case scenario.

Squarrl
03-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Where I live is probably the worst for rust. Mazda used to do its testing here for rust since one winter here is apparently = to 4 years in most other winter climates. There are really no cars here over 10 years old unless its an audi or an old merc.

.Mad Hatter.
03-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Ok...so I guess the answer is that no, none of you guys spray your cars, lol.

zionrider
03-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Seems like this is a passing thread but I'll contribute. I've had my car sprayed. More because here in Sweden it can help when selling the car. If we ever decide to that is. Anyway I talked to the dude that inspects the car and he said he sees very few Audi's come in with problems. They take camera's into the sub frame and varies panels through small access holes under the car. I was able to watch the screen as he moved the camera with a high powered LED light attached. Was pretty cool actually. The result no rust at all. Anyway the best cars for no rust where Volvo in first place and then Audi. VW was not mentioned. So as far as me recommending it. I would say save your money. These cars are built to last. That being said my neighbor's is rusting out. It's a 97 and I think he treats it like poo.

audiness
03-05-2008, 06:15 PM
ive never seen an audi rust.

its usually fords and chebys

Squarrl
03-05-2008, 06:30 PM
ive never seen an audi rust.

its usually fords and chebys

see a lot of snow ice / salt in your area?

bronz
03-05-2008, 06:32 PM
i just noticed today that bottom of my door is rusting!!!! like alot and i have an 01 ill have to take a better look at this rust when i put the car on the lift

kevin12
03-05-2008, 07:33 PM
i just noticed today that bottom of my door is rusting!!!! like alot and i have an 01 ill have to take a better look at this rust when i put the car on the lift

It might not be your actual door, but the trim pieces around the bottom of the door they're known to usually rot. All that you need to do is replace them, I know ecs sells them too.

bronz
03-05-2008, 09:05 PM
those too, but im actually talking about an actual door paint is peeling. ill post pics tmrw or something

Siena
03-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Rust on Audi, as early as B3 / B4 models is pretty rare.

I haven't seen a rusty B5 yet, and I work on so many cars weekly. Any rust will be more down to poor maintenance, or replacement with aftermarket body panels, like fenders and hood. The rest of the panels - trunk and doors are only available as genuine Audi parts.

Galvanised surfaces CAN be damaged by beating out dents, or welding, so extra measures need to be taken when repairs such as these are being carried out.

My car's a '96, and no rust, even prior to her going under the knife.

As for suspension components, pretty normal. There WILL be surface rust on subframes, springs, dampers, rear arms, (steel) prop and half shafts etc. All normal, and rarely enough to cause undue concern. As long as your car is looked after, and washed regularly, (paying particular attention to the sills and undersides, especially during winter / gritting) she'll probably last longer than you intend to keep her.