PDA

View Full Version : Help! Stranded!!! Bad Fan Clutch? 2.8 30V

ProOnThaSnow
03-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, I was headed back home (an hour away) and I made it about 15 minutes when I noticed my temp gauge start rising. It has been running a little over operating temp (about 2 notches on the temp gauge) since I put an alternator in it Tuesday after the car had sat for 4 months. I checked the coolant level and it is full. The thermostat was replaced 12K ago when I did the timing belt and water pump. I thought maybe the cats are plugged, but my dad was at the ass end of the car and said it seemed to be pumping exhaust fairly well.

With the car at operating temp we shut it off and the fan spun pretty freely. We used a stick to hold it and when I started the car again my dad said there wasn't much resistance. We released it and it spun, but it didn't seem to be spinning faster when I brought the RPMs up. We are thinking it is possibly bad (not engaging) and just spinning because of the resistance it has being attached to the pulley. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not positive how this thing is supposed to work.

Also, is the electric fan supposed to turn on at operating temp or is it for only when the A/C is turned on? I am supposed to be at work tomorrow and it isn't looking too good for me right now. I was thinking about tearing into it and replacing the thermostat regardless, but thats a shit ton of work to do if it isnt the problem and I don't have a cam bar readily available.

Also I am going to go get the cats tested tomorrow as I used to work at Midas and its 3 blocks from my house, however I don't think this is the problem. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Mawhitey
03-02-2008, 05:04 PM
The fan should be on when the aircon is on, but should kick in th high speed if the engine starts to run too hot. The car will run fine while driving without the viscous fan

ProOnThaSnow
03-02-2008, 05:25 PM
So maybe the electric fan switch? If I turn on the A/C it should kick on, however if it doesn't does that mean the switch is bad, or are there different switches for temp and a/c?

andyrew
03-02-2008, 10:44 PM
the fan should swich on whenever the AC is on.. So if your in a jamb, drive to work with the ac fan on and the heater full blast.. that should keep you cold enough to drive to work.

Although when your at freeway speeds your fan does nothing...

I doubt your car will suddenly clog the cats unless you just did sea foam..

skibumm
03-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Yep, X2. AC on and heat at max...you can limp around safely.

And when your t'stat fails it is designed to fail in the open position. Just change it the next time you do a tb.

ProOnThaSnow
03-02-2008, 11:30 PM
well, I played with it a little, and the fan isn't coming on unless the a/c is on. So i am thinking its maybe a relay or something. I have yet to drive it with the A/C on to see if it will stay cool, and are you sure a tstat would fail in the open position?! I've had them fail in other vehicles in the closed position before.

And whats the proper way to test the fan clutch? I think mine is bad but I don't want to spend the 160 for a new one if it isnt

ProOnThaSnow
03-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Well, i drove it with the A/C on and heater cranked full blast, and she's definitely not staying cool. I am so frustrated with this thing I'm about ready to kick it. I love the car, but it just seems to be one problem after another lately.