PDA

View Full Version : I failed at driving

RoadRage
02-27-2008, 07:41 AM
I started off my road trip on the wrong foot. Horrible snow storm, trying to pass a semi truck. Fish tailed into a guard rail. Now my car has a smashed passenger tail light, dented quarter panel and a scuffed bumper.

I finally made it to Fort Collins, CO, which wasn't my original destination, but I used to live here so I figure I can get the tail light fixed before continuing on the trip.

So, my question is who can recommend a good/cheap/quick body shop or mechanic to replace the tail light?

I also posted in the regional forum, so you don't need to tell me to do that.

Nebone
02-27-2008, 08:15 AM
At this point any place you find will have to suffice.

RoadRage
02-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Your probably right, but I'm hoping to at least get a "I took my car to xxx once and they did a good job" type of response.

audisnapr
02-27-2008, 08:38 AM
why exactly do you need a body shop to replace the tail light? don't have access to tools or don't want to buy what you need? I'm sure someone here could tell you exactly which socket you need; you could pick that up at the local autoparts store. It's prob. an 8 or 10mm socket - that and a some sort of cheap socket driver.

TurboQuattroPwr
02-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Closest Audi Dealer from Fort Collins:

Stammler Imports (34.25 miles away)
1799 Exposition Dr
Boulder, CO 80301
PH: (866) 436-1888

Dunno if this helps, but if you smashed the housing I think they would be the only place to get a new one.

http://www.stammleraudi.com/en_US/

RoadRage
02-27-2008, 11:45 AM
There's an audi dealership in Fort Collins, but a body shop should be cheaper right?

The whole housing is smashed up, so there's more to it than just a couple of sockets I think. Also, I have no tools, or access to free tools, I'm staying with a girl.

1a9u9d8i
02-27-2008, 01:43 PM
then look in a phone book and call the local body shops and see what they say... if you dont like what you hear then take it to the dealership and bite the bullet.

Poopie
02-27-2008, 01:49 PM
doesn't even have to be a body shop. take it to a general repair place.

SoFresh
02-27-2008, 01:50 PM
There's an audi dealership in Fort Collins, but a body shop should be cheaper right?

The whole housing is smashed up, so there's more to it than just a couple of sockets I think. Also, I have no tools, or access to free tools, I'm staying with a girl.

No, cause the body shop would have to order a taillight which might take a while, then they would charge you for the installation of it and their time...

You need to go to the Audi dealership, they will order the part, go early, the part should arrive in their hands within a couple hours depending on the parts delivery schedule they have setup... then you could either ask them if you could use the correct tool really quick and pop out your old taillight and put the new one in... should take less than 10 minutes so they will most likely let you use a socket.. if they dont, drive to an autoparts store and buy a socket and install it in their parking lot.

...OOOOORRRRR option #2, go to a Wal-mart or any autoparts store and buy that clear red tape and tape up the taillight with it as a temp fix, then when you get back from your trip, order a taillight and install it at home.

skibumm
03-02-2008, 11:40 PM
There is a junkyard called "Blake's Small Car Salvage" in Erie, CO, 303-665-4312. Its about 30 miles south of Ft.Collins. I use them for alot of parts, they don't install but would sell you the taillight and probably loan you the tools. These are good people, a little pricey but good. Still cheaper than the dealer and about the same distance away from you.

I live in Longmont, if you are really stuck call me, 303-885-3569. Vince.

RoadRage
03-03-2008, 11:53 AM
I fixed it today. I ordered a replacement light from BW auto dismantlers . com ,used to be dadsauto.

I was able to remove the broken one, no problem. The new one fits, except there's a fair amount of body damage so only 3 of the bolts went back into place. Once I get back to Chicago I can worry about the body damage.

Now my ski trip is back on! [up]