PDA

View Full Version : Yeah yeah... Stainless brake lines... Which ones are decent?

Ewok_Fetus
02-27-2008, 06:33 AM
I hear a lot of conflicting info... Got my brakes put on finally and noticed the stock rubbers are cracked to hell!! I am going to have a LONG drive ahead of me in the next month and want these taken care of... Where can I get decent, not too overpriced ones... Emphasis on decent...

mike-2ptzero
02-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Purems sells some, they always carry the good stuff and always have great prices.

brake lines (http://www.purems.com/products/products.php/CA=1567)

.Mad Hatter.
02-27-2008, 07:03 AM
I have the set from ECS, no complaints.

Nebone
02-27-2008, 07:35 AM
I have a pair of GoodRidge and a pair of StopTech. Those are the brands you want to go with. I think ECS sells the GoodRidge ones.

onemoremile
02-27-2008, 07:40 AM
I've got goodrich. Whichever ones you get they absolutely have to have a covering over the stainless braid. I think they all do by now but for years they didn't. Without that covering a piece of grit can get worked through the braid and puncture the line underneath.

Ewok_Fetus
02-27-2008, 07:58 AM
I've got goodrich. Whichever ones you get they absolutely have to have a covering over the stainless braid. I think they all do by now but for years they didn't. Without that covering a piece of grit can get worked through the braid and puncture the line underneath.

If they don't have this, can I get just some electrical heat shrink and do it myself?

seank
02-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Why would you want to do that when it is easy enough to just buy ones that are already coated?

Nebone
02-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Why would you want to do that when it is easy enough to just buy ones that are already coated?

DIY

Ewok_Fetus
02-27-2008, 08:17 AM

Because... If they don't picture it with the coating but say they do, but they really don't... I don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping them out again and everything... I am moving within the next month and would rather have them for this long 2500 mile drive, than to just ship everything back and forth...

Ewok_Fetus
02-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Say I can get these for about $10... From someone that never installed them... Anyone have any experince with them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stainless-Steel-Brake-Lines-Audi-A4-S4-Q-1-8T-2-8-B5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33562QQihZ022QQitemZ 350030314162QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

onemoremile
02-27-2008, 09:53 AM
The Goodrich lines are coated. I think all of them are by now. None of the stainless lines are DOT approved which is why there are no real set standards for them. The DOT issue has to do with nomenclature and technicalities even though the stainless lines are a little better than the stock ones.

Burntaudi
02-27-2008, 10:07 AM
I have Stoptech and have been very happy with them.

Pointmeby
02-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Goodridge is by far the leader in this category IMHO.

GOODRIDGE FAQ

1. Why should I use Goodridge Hose and Fittings?

* We have 35 years of high performance plumbing experience, in motorsport and automotive applications
* Our quality approvals include QS9000, ISO 9001/9002 and TUV/DOT
* Goodridge Hose and Fittings are found in every race series in Europe, the USA, and around the globe – NASCAR, F1, LMP and GT, SCCA, and Touring Cars
* We guarantee everything we sell against manufacturer defect, for the life of the product.
* Goodridge is both TUV and DOT compliant, and we are the OE Supplier to all of the major aftermarket brake manufactures; Alcon, AP, and Brembo

Looks like they are DOT compliant at least and they have a lifetime warranty.