PDA

View Full Version : HVAC Fan noise/squeal (Need help on what to use)

m5racer
02-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Need help doing this tomorrow

ok so this is refering to this article:

Now i need to know two things.

First. what do i get to lubercate the fan? is it a spray?
Second. i read that one person jsut sprayed the lube in where the cabin air filter is and it solved the problem. can i do this also or is it somehow unsafe or jsut wont work?

thanks, i will be doing this tomorrow so any help would be greatly apreciated

SirDaft1
02-26-2008, 09:11 PM
what article?

Stampy
02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Probably the C5 A6 DIY. Good luck homi, let us know how it turns out. I'l be doing this soon as well

AnthraciteA4
02-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Your heating/cooling system draws its air from the cabin air filter, the filter is supposed to help scrub out some of the nastiness in the air outside the car. As long as you remove the cabin air filter prior to spraying and leave it out long enough for the fumes to escape there should be no harm in trying to lube the motor that way. The smell may linger a while, so leave your windows down if you can. I would recommend an aerosol lubricant such as silicone or white lithium rather than WD-40 or PB Blaster. Check the can to make sure that it is electrical safe before you buy it.

If you actually follow the how-to I would probably use a high temp grease to reassemble the motor with. While you have things disassembled it would be a good time to visit a strong vacuum/some canned air and suck/blow the crap out of your air vent.

Ewok_Fetus
02-27-2008, 11:33 AM
It would be better to take it out of the car... I did this two weeks ago... There will be two bearings that you need to lube... One on each end of the fan rod... Took me 45 minutes start to finish...