PDA

View Full Version : swiss cheese question.

bigrobby
02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
99.5 A4 1.8t APR 93 octane

in the top half of the stock airbox there's a plastic intake tube that runs to about 2 inches from the edge of the box. can i remove it or does it do something like give the MAF an accurate measurement?

best heat shield materials?

kingtr
02-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Leave the air box alone. Unless of course it is going to get in the way of a big turbo.

onemoremile
02-25-2008, 03:19 PM
The stock airbox is better than most cold air intake setups. Just swap in a good panel filter and call it a day.

biketsai
02-25-2008, 09:00 PM
some guy offers a heatshield on AZ for liek $95 or so.
believe me, coming from my own experience, the mod wont do much.

djwimbo
02-25-2008, 09:12 PM
That intake snorkel inside the stock airbox is used to hold the MAF in place. I personally removed all the baffles inside the airbox and opened up a hole (grapefruit sized) in the lower half of the box to pull air from under the headlight area. That intake snorkel is there to help pull air straight across the MAF to help it be more accurate. I personally cut it on an angle from bottom to the top with the idea that it would increase flow. I didn't do any datalogs to back it up, or dyno testing, so take this info as you please. If you are to cut that MAF snorkel, please remove it from the MAF/airbox before doing so. I'd show you some pics, but it's fricken cold outside.
Hope that helped, if you need photos send me a PM I'll see what I can do. BTW I did the Airbox mod combined w/ Testpipe, downpipe and full exhaust, the combo was most definitely butt-dyno approved. Your experiences are your responsibility, I am not responsible for your mistakes or interpretations.

GramCracker
02-26-2008, 11:16 AM
I did the swiss cheese airbox. What do you want to know?

j2da
02-26-2008, 12:20 PM
swiss cheese FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

Ewok_Fetus
02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Well, when I bought my car, it has this snorkel taken off... Car was going through a few MAF's every year... Never really ran right and was always slow for what I had done to the car... Always ran a little rough... I then bought a new snorkel and installed it... Guess what... Car ran better, picked up maybe 5-10g/sec on my MAF and had a little more power! Not to mention, I did this almost a year and half ago and haven't had to replace the MAF since!!

ModifiedA4
02-26-2008, 07:14 PM
ditto what ewok said, keep the snorkel.

ive done some airbox mods, which are documented here:
notice i havent gone crazy with a drill or anything.
http://www.modifieda4.com/gallery/airbox-mod

ive got more in the works, believe it or not.