PDA

View Full Version : wideband placement - any pictures?

dualaudi
02-24-2008, 12:10 AM
anyone have a picture of where they placed their wideband? I read in another post that it should be at the bottom of the down pipe 2 or 10 oclock position. (running test pipe). I'm about to have a bung welded on and just want to make sure i have the right placement.

ChriS4
02-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Placement doesnt matter at which "clock time" it's at. Just have the exhaust guy eyeball it and make sure that once it's installed it won't rub the driveshaft.

Das General
02-24-2008, 12:29 AM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/brusind/widebandgarage.jpg

Innovate wideband on a steering column pod. Looks crooked because I can't hold my camera straight.

err haha this is sensor location... umm we tossed the sensor in the old 02 bung. = )

turbo944s2
02-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Hmm in the direction its says dont mount it upside down because condensation will damage the sensor.

audisnapr
02-24-2008, 06:00 AM
I just so happen to have a pic of my wideband [:D]

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/console/updated/CRW_1964.jpg

audisnapr
02-24-2008, 06:02 AM
Hmm in the direction its says dont mount it upside down because condensation will damage the sensor.

correct. you really should have a new bung welded on and mount it correctly. now if you ask how far away from the turbo the sensor should be mounted, you'll get all sorts of opinions.

Monk
02-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Place the wideband sensor as far down the testpipe as possible while still maintaining accessibility for tools. 11 o'clock position would be OK.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/tejaro12/InnovateO2.jpg

dualaudi
02-24-2008, 10:31 AM
thanks, monk... so you think it's okay to put at the far end of the test pipe? i thought maybe after the test would make it last longer...

adisnapr - what's that readout above your radio?

audisnapr
02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
adisnapr - what's that readout above your radio?

thats the PBC EBC by World Motorsports

Monk
02-24-2008, 11:14 PM
thanks, monk... so you think it's okay to put at the far end of the test pipe? i thought maybe after the test would make it last longer...

Well, I prefer this location so that it is accessible from the top of the engine bay (which is convenient during dyno-pulls & inspection). Fouling-up will not be a problem as long as you're not running pig-rich all the time. So placing the bung way down after the testpipe is really not needed.

mike-2ptzero
02-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Well, I prefer this location so that it is accessible from the top of the engine bay (which is convenient during dyno-pulls & inspection). Fouling-up will not be a problem as long as you're not running pig-rich all the time. So placing the bung way down after the testpipe is really not needed.

Fouling isn't the issue, it is the fact that wide band 02's dont like high EGT's and this is the reason for installing them more then 18" from the turbo.

Monk
02-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Fouling isn't the issue, it is the fact that wide band 02's dont like high EGT's and this is the reason for installing them more then 18" from the turbo.

Where I have it placed is about a foot (or maybe a little more) from the turbo near the downstream elbow of the testpipe (refer to pic.). So far it has been reading well despite numerous visits to the circuit, w/c is high-temp EGT's galore at about 8min. straight between cool-downs. Plus, I like the fact that it is still accessible from the top of the engine bay.

dualaudi
02-26-2008, 12:26 PM

so is 18" at the bottom of the 3" atp test pipe? or further down on the downpipe? just want to get the best spot for this thing.