PDA

View Full Version : gas?

zimzima05
02-23-2008, 09:30 PM
whenever i drive with my windows open or my sunroof open i smell a really rich exhaust or gasoline smell.. i dont'kn ow what it is.. yesterday as i was cleaning out my trunk i smelt some gas as well.. anybody have an idea?

Grangalan
02-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Leaky fuel filter/hose? or perhaps a exhaust leak?

zimzima05
02-23-2008, 10:35 PM
the guy i bought it from said he changed the fuel filter and a fuel line.. i'm starting to wonder if he messed something up in the process.. i thought it was an exhaust leak aswell, but the car doesnt seem louder than usual..

zimzima05
02-25-2008, 07:06 PM
anybody else have any input?

djwimbo
02-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Does the car have a catalytic converter? If that has been removed any rich condition (BOOST) will put the car into a rich condition. This unburnt fuel has to go somewhere, and your tailpipe is it.
Other than that, check your fuel cap, check any EVAP lines, and get underneath the vehicle when it's in a dry place and check it.

onemoremile
02-26-2008, 12:40 AM
He may have forgotten one of the crush washers when changing the filter. Let the car idle and slip a piece of paper under the filter (by the passenger side rear wheel) to check for drips.

Siena
02-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Check the inspection plate (that houses the fuel pump / gauge assembly) in the trunk, accessible after removing the screws on the cover, and make sure all pipes there are secure.

Also check the large rubber seal is intact. It's quite common for B5 fuel gauges to fail, and it's possible it's been replaced, and the rubber seal not sitting firmly in place.

zimzima05
04-23-2008, 07:57 AM
i took it in and they say my EVAP canister is gone.. where can i get one and how to i switch em out??