PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Come from a Subaru to an Audi, or Vice Versa

BONFIRE074
02-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are coming from the Subaru world, to an Audi. And vice versa, going from an Audi to a Subaru. Just looking for opinions, and pros n cons of both.

Im in the middle of deciding which way to go right now, i just dont know if i can give up the luxery of my Audi for a Subarus performance. (dont say buy an s4 either lol) thanks again[az]

Mister2
02-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Well you pretty much got it nailed. Audi has the luxury but not the performance, and vice versa. I looked for an Impreza for over a year before finally getting my A4. I still want an Impreza. My advice would be to go to NASIOC and read till you go crosseyed. Then compare the pros an cons to both cars. If you want performance and a solid car that can take loads of off road abuse, then go Subaru. If you want a street car that looks nice with some power, then stay Audi. I know loads of people with Subaru's and they wouldn't trade them for anything.

I'm thinking about picking up an Impreza as a project car after I pay off of the A4.

onemoremile
02-22-2008, 07:21 PM
I've got both. The Audi is nicer but the Subaru is much more reliable and rides better.

BONFIRE074
02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Well you pretty much got it nailed. Audi has the luxury but not the performance, and vice versa. I looked for an Impreza for over a year before finally getting my A4. I still want an Impreza. My advice would be to go to NASIOC and read till you go crosseyed. Then compare the pros an cons to both cars. If you want performance and a solid car that can take loads of off road abuse, then go Subaru. If you want a street car that looks nice with some power, then stay Audi. I know loads of people with Subaru's and they wouldn't trade them for anything.

I'm thinking about picking up an Impreza as a project car after I pay off of the A4.

Exactly..well a buddy of mine works for ECS and just did a 06 JDM WRX engine swap into his 02 Legacy and he took me for a ride in it (legacy being the "most luxurious" car subaru makes) and to be honest just sitting in the passenger seat of his car and him taking me for a ride in it, i wasnt too impressed with the cars creature comfort, although it had a lot of balls to it when he got on it..and the idea of being able to put down 250-300 whp and still maintain in the 20's for mpg blows my mine, where as im getting 15 in my 2.8...but still the ride and the creature comfort of my A4 is way beyond any subaru iv been in..

BONFIRE074
02-22-2008, 07:27 PM
I've got both. The Audi is nicer but the Subaru is much more reliable and rides better.

since you own both and can be a judge for me, which is OVERALL (considering all aspects of both cars) a "better" car, or which one do you prefer more?

Teabag
02-22-2008, 07:46 PM
used 2 have an a4 now i just got a forester, much tackier but boy does it put you in your seat

BONFIRE074
02-22-2008, 07:49 PM
so overall which do you prefer?

SoFresh
02-22-2008, 08:01 PM
I've owned both... went from WRX to A4, then to A3... I love my A3 the most, between the A4 and the WRX... it was a toss up.

GetAwayFromMe
02-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I used to own a WRX and loved it, will probably get one again. Audi is nicer looking and has way better interior than a subaru and the ride is not so bad. I had no mechanical problems with my subaru whatsoever while my Audi always needs something done. The ride in the WRX was nice and the seats were comfortable, the tranny is grindy and it did awesome on snow. If you are the kinda guy that likes to do AWD burn outs than dont buy a wrx because you will bust your tranny very fast.

What are you looking in the car? Speed, comfort, a relaible car? Overall the seubaru is nice but i wouldnt trade it for my audi because i'm not looking for speed, i like the looks of it and i'm Bosnian :) That's what we drive over in Europe.

BONFIRE074
02-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I like classy looks, comfort as well as some "go" all in one..

i think the 1.8t does that very well except you need to do a lot more work to get it comparable to any tuned subaru. My buddy has a full exhaust on his wrx and got it dyno tuned and put down 250awhp and 250tq..to get an a4 to that your practically BT. [confused]

tamadrumr88
02-22-2008, 08:07 PM
**GetAwayFromMe* just about nailed everything there is to compare. i used to work at a subaru dealer detailing for two years... rarely was there ever a subaru in for service that wasn't a direct result of the owner under-maintaining the car. my audi, on the other hand, breaks constantly despite my best efforts to over-maintain the car

at the end of the day though i'm happy with my choice of 95% luxury and 5% performance/sport versus what i consider the subaru to be 95% performance/sport and 5% luxury

devmaster
02-22-2008, 08:13 PM

same ... except for the rides better part[:D]

Teabag
02-22-2008, 08:25 PM
subaru ftw sorry guys i like having the peace of mind knowing the car will start every time

black00A4
02-22-2008, 08:26 PM
I went from Impreza to my A4, and I would never go back. Subaru's are nice cars, and ver reliable but very cheap inside. Alot of plastic is used and you dont really feel like yor sitting in a nice car, rather more like a ricer. But I did have full exhaust, and wow amazing exhaust note from the boxer motor. I personaly will never go back to Jap cars I just love the build quality, and the feeling of driving a nice car.

Stampy
02-22-2008, 11:16 PM
I drive my moms Outback sometimes. Its ok, but nowhere near as comfy. Not even close in anyway. The AWD system is nice, but man does it feel twitchy. Damn near every time I would hit a decent bump in the street, the car wanted to soulja boy its ass to the side. Reliable yes. All around? I don't think so.

sbghms
02-22-2008, 11:46 PM
For my first car my parents bought me an '07 impreza 2.5i. I gotta tell you the thing I loved most about it was the sound of the boxer engine. wow. Even on the base model it sounded great. Loved the way the steering felt. Though the shifting was quite hard to get smooth (new car, but still). But like everyone said, the interiors are about as nice as a neon's. I loved the car, but didn't feel like driving a brand new car with all of the retards in my school. So, get this, after having it for about 5 months I sold it for the same price we paid for it. Great resale on the impreza's (although I think I was kinda lucky that the buyers came along). I wasn't even looking for my Audi, but while my parents were looking for A3's, I came across my laser red beauty. It was like going from coach to first class. Everything is so nice, from the bose to the leather, Audi makes a really finished car. Attention to detail is amazing. Where as in the Subaru, panels didn't always align properly, and the trim was ho-hum. Plus I got to keep the AWD (quattro baby!), got to keep the manual, came with nice rims, and it has a turbo (which i've always wanted, even if it is tiny!). The best part is that I saved 10 grand to upgrade to an Audi. Although i'll be using some of that money for repairs, but whatever. I LOVE MY AUDI!

Hope this helped, Mike

P.S. Stick w/ Audi

djwimbo
02-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Being that we have a dealership back home that sells, Audi, Porsche and Subaru, I'll listen to them. Their comments are the "boy-racer" type come in to buy STi's and WRX's and the guys in suits with hot wives/girlfriends come in and buy Audi's. I parked in the Employee parking last time I visited to get a key made, and found that 2/3 of the vehicles the techs, sales and parts people drive are B5's and B6's. The others are B7 Avants and Hondas. I've worked in the automotive service field for 3 years and I've learned to pay close attention to what the techs drive.

sbghms
02-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Being that we have a dealership back home that sells, Audi, Porsche and Subaru, I'll listen to them. Their comments are the "boy-racer" type come in to buy STi's and WRX's and the guys in suits with hot wives/girlfriends come in and buy Audi's. I parked in the Employee parking last time I visited to get a key made, and found that 2/3 of the vehicles the techs, sales and parts people drive are B5's and B6's. The others are B7 Avants and Hondas. I've worked in the automotive service field for 3 years and I've learned to pay close attention to what the techs drive.

Very nice. I love the reason you edited it for!

seank
02-23-2008, 09:47 AM
I had a 02 WRX for about a year, owned along side with my A4. My experience was this, the WRX was definitely more of a toy while the A4 is way better to live with everyday. The WRX was a tin can, you could here everything, but it was cheaper to make faster and was incredible to beat on on the weekends or on the track. The audi was favored much more by my gf as well as me for everyday use, the heated seats, smoothness, and quietness of the A4 are all nice things when just cruising around. I then sold the WRX and replaced it with an allroad which has become my daily and the A4 has become the designated toy, in the end I'm not 100% satisfied with my decision, b/c the wrx was just much more fun as a toy. So my goal now is to sometime in the future sell the a4 and allroad and purchase an R32 and boost it, after driving one for a weekend it was obvious it was the car I've been searching for all along, comfortable enough for daily duty and fun enough to keep me satisfied on my favorite backroads and the track.

onemoremile
02-23-2008, 09:52 AM

There are aspects of both I like better. It is easier to make a Subaru fancy than to make an Audi reliable.

The Subey is a tank. That 97 Outback has been beaten like a rented mule for 5 years and hasn't ever complained. I've bottomed it out, jumped it (off-road), and hauled bikes through tight nasty trails with washouts that forced us to hit it hard and pray for the best.

The Audi is a nice car with some cool amenities but reliability is terrible. It gets pampered, lives in the garage (the Subey doesn't) and still falls apart. It seems every few months I've got to replace a $450 part. Right now I've got clunks (again!!!) from the right front and right rear and a right rear wheel bearing starting to get louder. It creaks and shudders over our nasty roads.

For the record, the Audi has had all the control arms and tie rod ends replaced at least once, several of them more than that. The Subaru's suspension hasn't been looked at since it left the factory.

It took $10 and a half hour to rebuilt the OB's starter when it failed. It would have been about 30 times that for the same repair on the Audi. The list of expensive parts replaced on the Audi is ridiculous. Reminds me of the 91 Lebaron 'vert I had right out of high school that cost me 8500 for the car and 7500 for the multiple transmission replacements.

For some stupid reason I still love the Audi. I found myself test driving a 2005 A6 4.2 and loving it. I had the salesperson go back to the service department and print a record of the work done on the A4. This represented my first year of ownership and a fraction of the overall money spent. She looked at the total and got a pained look on her face. I didn't buy the car and she understood completely.

Tiesto
02-23-2008, 09:54 AM

The techs are just saving up for a B7. [:D]

maxspeed
02-23-2008, 10:55 AM
i had a 1992 subaru legacy sedan FRONT WHEEL DRIVE. its what i learned to drive 5 speed on it, sold it for 500 bucks and i wish i could find it to buy it back lol, for 135hp the thing moved. 2.2 litre flat 16v H4, would probablly be fun to turbo ;-P

onemoremile
02-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Our dealership here is Porsche, Audi, and Subaru. It has no bearing on which cars the techs drive. Seems most go with Subaru, Acura, and Porsche.

seank
02-23-2008, 12:40 PM
the Subaru will hold its value better than the Audi too.

dsq
02-23-2008, 12:43 PM
i went from a subaru legacy to an audi a4. i cannot go back to subaru as my daily driver only because audi's interior is just way out of subaru's league. however, subaru's performance is hard to beat and their symmetric AWD is nothing to be ashamed of.

onemoremile
02-23-2008, 12:44 PM
The Subaru is the one we drive when the Audi is broken down.

Stampy
02-23-2008, 01:13 PM
The Subaru is the one we drive when the Audi is broken down.

Hahaha. I'm using my Moms Outback as my support vehicle today. Off to AutoZone right now for more Audi fixn stuff

audiFUEGO
02-23-2008, 02:02 PM
haha you know you drive an audi when you go to autozone atleast once a month

onemoremile
02-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Hahaha. I'm using my Moms Outback as my support vehicle today.

Nice. This is the one I bought my mom last year.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_4225.jpg

ngrover
02-23-2008, 03:02 PM
I've had my Audi for 6 months now and half that time the car has been "down for maintenance". I had a similar experience with my GTI, always fixing/working on the car. The Audi has less than 50k miles and the fact that I nearly blew my engine while driving around with a broken timing belt tensioner is just ridiculous. But here is the thing, I love the car to shreds. I suspect most people in my shoes would run from my A4 as fast as possible but instead I think and dream about my A4 all day (subconsciously or otherwise) which leads me to this conclusion:

The Audi owns you, you don't own it. It's like the smoking hot, high maintenance girlfriend you dated in high-school that you never thought you were worthy of... consuming your every thought and penny but hardly returning you the same favors and at times leaving you hanging high and dry. You knew she wasn't good for you, but you just couldn't get enough. The Subaru on the other hand is the reliable girlfriend that didn't excite you but you were too comfortable in the relationship to do anything about it... good old standby.

I can understand how "good old standby" is the way to go for most people especially when it comes to transportation, but personally I love cars in a way that few can satisfy. And so it is that the Audi will continue to own me for some time ;)

m5racer
02-23-2008, 05:07 PM
I like classy looks, comfort as well as some "go" all in one..

i think the 1.8t does that very well except you need to do a lot more work to get it comparable to any tuned subaru. My buddy has a full exhaust on his wrx and got it dyno tuned and put down 250awhp and 250tq..to get an a4 to that your practically BT. [confused]

Im pretty sure that a WRX cant put 250awhp with jsut a exhaust beucase the 06's which are the new body style only have 230hp so i think its pretty much impossible to put down all that power especially with the AWD

mravantit
02-23-2008, 05:44 PM
No man, the guy is right... those cars get rediculous gains from a full turbo-back.. I think 240awhp is a more probably number, but then again a ECU reflash and i'm sure it will hit the 250 if not more.

onemoremile
02-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Turbo back is a moderate gain. The precat is the biggie. The transmission aren't nearly as fragile as internet hype would have you believe. The transmission is a split case and abusive driving can flex it. There are reinforcing straps available that fix that problem. Still, an Sti trans swap costs about what an Audi does in yearly maintenance.

BONFIRE074
02-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Im pretty sure that a WRX cant put 250awhp with jsut a exhaust beucase the 06's which are the new body style only have 230hp so i think its pretty much impossible to put down all that power especially with the AWD

My buddy has an 02 bug eye ej20 with the stock td04, injectors, all he has is an intake, uppipe and full turbo back and he put down 250whp and 250tq, i was there to see it and he has the graphs to prove it..its crazy

BONFIRE074
02-24-2008, 12:04 AM
with all these replies guys i think i have to keep the A4..but change up the engine. currently owning a 2.8 ill have to get a 1.8t because honestly i cannot give up the comfort, and the way the car drives to anything else.

onemoremile
02-24-2008, 12:07 AM
My buddy has an 02 bug eye ej20 with the stock td04, injectors, all he has is an intake, uppipe and full turbo back and he put down 250whp and 250tq, i was there to see it and he has the graphs to prove it..its crazy

Most of those gains are from the up-pipe.

Just toss on a JDM STi twin scroll setup and you'll have an incredible daily driver that makes 300whp and has a lower boost threshold and sharper throttle response than the stocker.

BONFIRE074
02-24-2008, 12:15 AM
yeah i know, the cats are a killer on those cars. another guy i know has an 03 bug eye with an up pipe, turbo back exhaust, sti turbo, sti injectors, and sti tmic and put down 291 conservative. i remeber the tuner telling him he could achieve 330whp but he didnt want to put the car that hard

but...

how much lag are you guys getting with BT setups?

k04? ( i know not BT but still)
gt25?
gt28?
gt30?

thanks

onemoremile
02-24-2008, 12:23 AM
K04 makes positive boost around 2200-2500 but the car doesn't start moving for real until closer to 3000. The larger turbos don't have the big torque peak so they tend to be smoother. Running a larger turbine section will make for a more free flowing exhaust so the car should have decent power under it's boost threshold.