PDA

View Full Version : Question about control arms

.Mad Hatter.
02-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Hey guys, I have never had to replace any control arms, I have done suspension though so I know I can actually do the work. The question pertains to the control arms, and their replacement seperatly. I only have one which is failing, its not broken, the rubber boot is torn though. Its on my front pass. side...top arm, front most position...I cant really describe it more accuratly than that.

My question; can I replace only this arm? Should I replace the same arm on the other side as well? Should I replace all arms on that side?

I am very strapped for cash so Im looking to do as little as possible, dollar wise. Like I said I can do the work myself so Im not worries about having to go back and do others again at some point, I just dont want there to be an imbalance of any kind.

Thanks all. [wrench]

Ewok_Fetus
02-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Well, you can drive around like that for a while... May start getting some clunks... Took me over 3 months to save up for my control arms... Going to finally replace them this weekend... Honestly, I would do the whole set... That is just me though...

.Mad Hatter.
02-22-2008, 04:26 AM
My mech. said mid march it would probably have to be replaced. Im hoping I get a good chunk of taxes back and I can just do the whole set, get coils and do it all at once.

Jared71482
02-22-2008, 04:40 AM
The uppers are easy enough to do just one if you're really worried about it. I had an upper ball joint give out on my 94 accord years ago at 75mph... that was not cool! Bent the wheel, popped the tire... and sent the wheel/tire into the fender and crumpled that pretty nicely...

.Mad Hatter.
02-22-2008, 04:42 AM
Im thinking of this kit...anyone have experience with it?

http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1013

Like I said if I can pull enough cash togehter Ill get the kit, if not I may have to just do the one...it wont result in any sort of imbalance though will it?

edit: the single arm is like 75-95$...f that...Ill get the kit for $500.

Ewok_Fetus
02-22-2008, 05:04 AM
Anytime suspension parts are changed, you need an alignment... That being said, do you want to pay for one or two alignments?

Also another thing to consider... If another one of the arms goes out, it can start putting more wear on the new one and cause it to go out prematurely...

Jared71482
02-22-2008, 05:07 AM
I got the full kit from FCP Groton on ebay... think it was $325 shipped. All German made parts... works great... oh, it was the S4 upgrade too.

Jared71482
02-22-2008, 05:09 AM
I wouldnt say an alignment is needed with the replacement of control arms... it could be done but definitely not needed. Now if you change the tie rods, tie rod ends or lower the car, then definitely yes.

317ssayzarc
02-22-2008, 05:10 AM
I got the full kit from FCP Groton on ebay... think it was $325 shipped. All German made parts... works great... oh, it was the S4 upgrade too.

haha thats funny as hell to me... cant beleive they are on ebay now lol...

i deal with those guys every single day! my work uses them for parts several times a day... good guys over there and good prices for sure!

foreign car parts is pretty damn good

edit: wow, theyve been on ebay for 8 years... [headbang]

DrFeelGood
02-22-2008, 05:37 AM
don't mean to intrude on your thread but i posted a silmlar thread earlier on replacine my rear control arms. I want the whole kit to try to save from replacing 1 at a time, do it 1 time and say fuck it. Could you be some assistance on where a good place too look.

Jared71482
02-22-2008, 05:48 AM
good guys over there and good prices for sure!

foreign car parts is pretty damn good

I agree 100%!

onemoremile
02-22-2008, 07:42 AM
I wouldnt say an alignment is needed with the replacement of control arms... it could be done but definitely not needed. Now if you change the tie rods, tie rod ends or lower the car, then definitely yes.

It is necessary.

.Mad Hatter.
02-22-2008, 02:14 PM
So that S4 upgrade from ebay...no negatives thus far?

What the upgrade entail?

Kronic Budz
02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
well lets just think about it, if one boot is torn now, its only a matter of time before the other boots are gunna want to be torn. I say if you plan on keeping the car a while then i would do the whole kit, I did the whole kit on my 97 a4 @ 113k miles and my car handles way better and is a lot stiffer/tighter up front.

I would have loved to throw some coil overs on my car when i had the kit installed. But you no money dont grow on trees.

O yea btw i had the same arm that was bad on my car that gave it that "play". But i just decided it was worth it to do um all. BTW i got my kit off ebay for $275 and the parts were as good as OEM. FCP groton store on ebay. Check it

Durkin
02-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Im thinking of this kit...anyone have experience with it?

http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1013
I have that kit in my living room... its not installed yet, but the quality apears to be very good.

GetAwayFromMe
02-23-2008, 09:04 PM
I just ordered a kit form foreign car parts and hope it's good stuff. My car will all of a sidden move side to side when i'm driving specialy on snow. I checked my control arms and they have some movement would this make it do that? BTW i replaced all the tie rod ends so it wouldnt be that.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Pointmeby
02-23-2008, 09:37 PM
The kit from PureMS is very high quality. If you ever want adjustable camber and toe, now would be the time to buy an adjustable upper link setup. I got my setup from Startup Racing. They are the Istook arms, but there are other sets out there. I've got a new set of upper arms somewhere that were taken off after I did the upgrade.

onemoremile
02-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Istook and CPP are the two that make the adjustable arms. Don't use them on the street if you've got bad roads or winter weather. The heim/rose joints can't take hard shock like expansion joints or potholes. They will deform slightly and lose that buttery spherical contact and they will get clunky fast. They should be inspected often.

I've had the ECS heavy duty control arm kit with tie rod ends for 50k miles. Had to replace three control arms since then and I've still got clunking.

King18TQuattro
02-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Same here, I put them on about 15,000 miles ago and they are crap.

Granted, Wisconsin is one of the worst environments for a car.

I am researching other options right now.

My Tracksports and other suspension mods don't help the piece of crap OEM parts either though.

.Mad Hatter.
02-24-2008, 06:24 AM
when you guys say the ECS kit are you talking febi-bilstein? thats the kit i hope to order from purems

VTAudiA4
02-24-2008, 08:01 AM
How long can you go with a lowered car (coilovers) until the control arms wear down?

TROLL
04-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Just ordered the 13 piece S4 upgrade kit from FCP Groton on Ebay... they were on sale for $247 with free shipping.
I only really needed the front uppers but might as well do front upper and lower control arms, and either hold onto the rears and HD tie rod ends or sell them to someone who's in need.
Thanks for the useful info in this thread :)

Ewok_Fetus
04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Just get them all done... Take our advice...

akielb
04-13-2008, 08:02 PM
#1 - next time start you own thread instead of bringing one up from a month and a half ago.

#2 your now the proud owner of a Hamburg Technic control arm kit. I considered ordering them myself, until I searched and found that the BMW crowd was having a horrible time with them.

#3 Your going to have it all apart anyway, so just do it all, or come back in 2 months and complain that you now need to replace another arm.

TROLL
04-13-2008, 08:45 PM
#1 - next time start you own thread instead of bringing one up from a month and a half ago.
...what exactly is the sense in starting another thread on the same exact subject?

And I see what you're saying about just doing them all, that certainly is the "right" way to go about it.
I'll do the front upper and lower control arms but honestly don't feel compelled to touch the rears right now... maybe I will maybe not, we'll see how the mood strikes. The tie rods were done before I bought the car so thats not an issue, and the rear ca's are fine for now. If they go later then ok I can do them whenever since its completely independent of the front install.

If this car was my baby then sure I'd be getting the highest end parts (like I do with my Supra and my STi which I both keep in pristine condition), but honestly... this car is my beater... I bought it in fair condition and I've definitely improved it but its not perfect and its not going to be. I keep it well maintained so it will treat me right but I don't feel the same urge to go over the top with it.