PDA

View Full Version : I hate the B5's transmission

audiness
02-21-2008, 06:44 PM
My 5 speed transmission is really the only part of my Audi that I cannot stand.

I've been driving japanese cars for years, and every japanese manual trans that i've driven has been so easy to shift, modulate, and has such smoothness.

I've owned two B5 Audi A4s and both of them had sucky transmissions. My clutch grabs almost at the very top of the pedal stroke, i can push my clutch in only 2 inches and have it fully disengaged. 1st gear is too low, and doesn't make shifting into 2nd very smooth. With only 2 inches of pedal travel, modulation and smoothness are out of the question.

not to mention the "clunk" if i shift from 1st to 2nd quickly. I've tried 3 different types of fluid and the clunk never goes away.( It does get a bit better when the car is warmed up..)

3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th aren't that bad i guess. I just had to rant, the car would be so much better when a better trans. I guess if mien goes out, i'll find a 2.8trans to put in there....[headbang][headbang]

audiness
02-21-2008, 06:47 PM
oh... and the dual mass flywheel that undoubtedly weighs 40Lbs... thats a mountain of Fail also.

sean1.8t
02-21-2008, 06:52 PM
learn to drive better. we all have the same transmission. and we all figure out how to drive it smooth..

try driving a 12lb flywheel with a SB stage 4 clutch. that took a while to get smooth

sean1.8t
02-21-2008, 06:53 PM
oh, here's a quick tip on the clunking from 1st to 2nd.

don't let off the gas pedal all the way until the clutch is fully disengaged. this keeps a bit of load on the drivetrain to keep it at tension

k0mpresd
02-21-2008, 06:57 PM
or upgrade your mounts

ActiveMonkey
02-21-2008, 07:00 PM
if you get the Pure MS Power ring you will eliminate the clunk.

http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=2072

onemoremile
02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
The clunk is not the transmission. The engagement point is but that is just something to get used to. The 28 pound dual mass flywheel is something I don't particularly like but it is still easy to drive the car smoothly.

grip_racer
02-21-2008, 07:11 PM
OMG ITS THE DUMBASS FLYWHEEL

i hate that shit, its way too heavy. it introduces a whole new level of "waiting to shift". its so lame. city driving would be so much better with a LWFW. it would be faster to accelerate in first and second, not to mention the much reduced shift times it would require. I cant wait until i have the extra cash to get a new clutch and LWFW.

There are two things i dislike about my A4, one is that damn flywheel, and the other is the wooly-ass steering. huge downgrade from a BMW rack.

at least one of those problems can be fixed.

Bic-Ball
02-21-2008, 07:22 PM
i wish i could do 80 and not be at like 4k rpms

audiness
02-21-2008, 07:23 PM
those of you that have a lightweight flywheel, what's it like?

sean1.8t
02-21-2008, 07:27 PM
those of you that have a lightweight flywheel, what's it like?

worse. it's not at all what you or grip racer think it will be

Nebone
02-21-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm not a fan of mine neither. I hate the fact that with all this power, I cant even hit 60 in 2nd gear. Even with a short throw, its still long shifts.

2nd gear is hard to shift into when cold- real bad feature

3rd - 4th - 5th is good

Still not a fan.

Launching or shifting a R32 with a neuspeed short shifter was like a new undiscovered world to me.

Stampy
02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
My 2nd gear sucks balls in the cold too. Once its warm though.....Never really have a problem driving smooth. This is one of the few cars that I don't see my passengers head move forward every time I shift. I actually like driving this car in cruise mode.

grip_racer
02-21-2008, 08:08 PM
worse. it's not at all what you or grip racer think it will be

no way son

ive had one before in my old 325i, it was the TITS! better low gear acceleration, quicker shifting because of the revs dropping faster. you can't beat that

sean1.8t
02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
you guys are a bunch of whiners! honestly. change your transmission fluid with some Redline 75w-90. cold morning shift grinding will be gone..

really though, if you want a bad transmission, look into the mk4 1.8t transmission. harder to shift than ours, and handles a 1/4th of the power ours can.. then there's the WRX, and Evo guys. most of them grenade their transmissions with less than 30k on the odometer

our transmissions are extremely strong and resiliant as long as you take care of them. change the fluid, and be gentle on them for the majority of the time..

sean1.8t
02-21-2008, 08:13 PM
no way son

ive had one before in my old 325i, it was the TITS! better low gear acceleration, quicker shifting because of the revs dropping faster. you can't beat that

right, that is one of the pro's to the LWFW. you have to shift FAST at certain times otherwise the transmission will leave you, haha..

but i was talking about the clutch engagement, and engagement point. i got confused in all the posts and lobbed up yours in there with the rest of them. my bad

grip_racer
02-21-2008, 08:26 PM
no prob dude

turbo944s2
02-21-2008, 08:27 PM
My 5 speed transmission is really the only part of my Audi that I cannot stand.

I've been driving japanese cars for years, and every japanese manual trans that i've driven has been so easy to shift, modulate, and has such smoothness.

I've owned two B5 Audi A4s and both of them had sucky transmissions. My clutch grabs almost at the very top of the pedal stroke, i can push my clutch in only 2 inches and have it fully disengaged. 1st gear is too low, and doesn't make shifting into 2nd very smooth. With only 2 inches of pedal travel, modulation and smoothness are out of the question.

not to mention the "clunk" if i shift from 1st to 2nd quickly. I've tried 3 different types of fluid and the clunk never goes away.( It does get a bit better when the car is warmed up..)

3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th aren't that bad i guess. I just had to rant, the car would be so much better when a better trans. I guess if mien goes out, i'll find a 2.8trans to put in there....[headbang][headbang]

I havent had a stock clutch or flywheel in my car for about 40 thousand miles so i dont remember the problem with where it let out. It might be time to change your clutch or at least change out the fluid and bleed your clutch slave cylinder. Every time I had a clutch that let out right at the top, it either needed adjustment or the clutch was on its last leg. I agree with you on the short first gear. Wait until you get a bigger turbo it becomes a creeper gear. Also just like someone meantioned earlier the heavier flywheel is easier to drive smoother than the lightweight. It took me a week or so to get it down pat with a southbend dxd and a fidanza.

Ewok_Fetus
02-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Also, some of you may want to change out your shift linkages... My car was AWSOME at shifting until I damaged the U joint taking out the tranny... Now it shifts like ass..

audiFUEGO
02-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I actually like driving this car in cruise mode.

X2...

And to be honest, if you teach your feet, you can shift plenty quick pretty smoothly when you need to. [drive]

GramCracker
02-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Anyone wanna learn me good on how to down-shift better? I'm not the greatest.

TQMB5
02-21-2008, 09:47 PM
^^have to rev match, takes some getting used to but it makes shifting like butter instead of that forced in feeling

Poopie
02-21-2008, 09:54 PM
I like my transmission....HHMM i have a 12lb LWFW on a stage 4 track series clutch and its awesome. Stop being babies. I drive this in stop and go traffic DAILY. The ONLY time i wished I had an automatic was when i drove to the jersey shore. It was stop and go ALL the way to the beach. A 1.5 hour trip took me 5 hours. My leg was just about dead by the time I got there.

andyrew
02-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Go drive a vw bug you pansies... thats a sucky shifter.

You want a hard car to shift smooth?
400hp/tq (300lbs of tq at 1500rpms..)914 porsche (yes the boxy one) with a 2200lb PP, and an on off switch clutch, Did I mention a super small super lightweight flywheel? Car weighs 2000lbs.. Its my weekend fun car.. looks like shit, but with 295 tires rear, 255's front, racing suspension, LSD, its a little bit fun.. and scary...

andyrew
02-21-2008, 09:58 PM
^^have to rev match, takes some getting used to but it makes shifting like butter instead of that forced in feeling

Yup.. A quick way to figure it out is to not use the clutch at all, practice shifting like that.. Freeway speeds 4th and 5th is the easiest.. (I dont use my clutch on the freeway... call me lazy..)

sbghms
02-21-2008, 10:11 PM
My '01 A4 is not hard to drive at all. I've only been driving stick for about 2 months. When I had an '07 impreza (sold), that thing was incredibly hard to shift smooth. I mean every time I drove that thing people thought I was ridin a bull. That's what I learned on and I thought stick was the hardest shit in the world. Then I got my A4 and I was like wow this isn't so bad after all. Of course you have to take into consideration that the Impreza was brand new, and my car has almost 80k on the odo. But still it was like night and day for me. Now i'm working on my rev-matching[eek], hold on tight kids!

maxspeed
02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Yup.. A quick way to figure it out is to not use the clutch at all, practice shifting like that.. Freeway speeds 4th and 5th is the easiest.. (I dont use my clutch on the freeway... call me lazy..)

crazy? how bout "moronic"

Kyle H
02-21-2008, 10:38 PM

I see no crazy, only lazy! [:p]

Poopie
02-21-2008, 10:47 PM

i'm not gonna lie, i do that too sometimes. When properly rev matched it slides right into gear.

Revolution02
02-22-2008, 01:16 AM
I have the same exact problem and my brothers b6 with same mods has a way nicer and smother shift. It really sucks in the cold mornings but I live in California so we dont have many of those![cool]

Mawhitey
02-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Its a pain, i am hoping my new gearbox is better as i scored a bargain on a six speed http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120223206987&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002

It couldnt be worse as 2nd is about to fall out of mine,and when cold its almost impossible to get into at all

burner799
02-22-2008, 01:48 AM
geez some of you people just don't know how to drive stickshift!!! : P

I hate bmw steering, its too stiff and NO whoever said its the steering rack, that is NOT why a bmw feels that way so don't blame the audi rack. Our Audis come with nice racks.......they just leak from the seals a lot. Bmw transmission is nowhere near as smooth as ours either especially the feel of the shift linkage too. Audi is soooo solid every gear is always in the same place....

grip_racer
02-22-2008, 01:59 AM
then explain to me why BMW steering feels so nice and communicative and Audi steering feels much more disconnected and wooly, if its not the rack?

Side-Step
02-22-2008, 03:50 AM
learn to drive better. we all have the same transmission. and we all figure out how to drive it smooth..

try driving a 12lb flywheel with a SB stage 4 clutch. that took a while to get smooth

Try driving with a 12lb FW with a 4 puck clutch. Since this is my wife's daily, I've taken the lightened FW out and put in a new dual mass and a SB SS clutch.

The first gear is low, but it get you out of the hole in a hurry.
Clutch engage at the top= faster shifting. You don't have to push the clutch all the way down to the bottom.

The only thing I could see about the trannys would be a taller final gear. Seams like it could use just a few more teeth on fifth gear.

Side-Step
02-22-2008, 03:51 AM
then explain to me why BMW steering feels so nice and communicative and Audi steering feels much more disconnected and wooly, if its not the rack?

B/C the tie rod ends have isolaters in them. You can get them with out. Make a big difference.

m5racer
02-22-2008, 05:52 AM
i also hate how my clutch enguages and disenguages. the fact that its right at the top of the peddle is shit

audiayo
02-22-2008, 06:01 AM
i had the same problem with the release point being high it turned out my clutch was finished

devmaster
02-22-2008, 06:40 AM
our trans' really arent bad unless its like ur first moth driving them. think of it this way, atleast we have hydraulic clutches..
WRXs and other jap cars have mechanical cluch engagement which really sucks

sirswank
02-22-2008, 06:51 AM
The first gear is low, but it get you out of the hole in a hurry.
Clutch engage at the top= faster shifting. You don't have to push the clutch all the way down to the bottom.

The only thing I could see about the trannys would be a taller final gear. Seams like it could use just a few more teeth on fifth gear.

agreed.... i hear all these horror stories about "oh the clutch grabs too high and it's hard to shift" so i either must have one gem of a trans, or growing up driving air cooled's with no synchros taught me well. i love just having to stab the pedal quick to change gears, and the only issue i have is if i launch hard and try to shift too quickly, it just won't go into second, but i think this is as much the mounts as it is a possible misalignment in my short shifter.

also, if you think the shift throws are long, try driving a mk3 with an 02A cable shift and you'll thank god you've got an ebay kit available to you. [hail]

anyway, stage 4 clutch with LWFW going in today, so we'll see how much that changes things. i'm expecting it to be an on/off button, but we'll see.

yesipuff
02-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Same for me with most of these posts. Pedal engages at the top (which I don't mind anymore), 1ST to 2ND is ruff sometimes, and hard second when cold. I will try that Redline fluid though. I could smooth out the shifting to second with the gas, but I always thought that was bad for the clutch. I didn't know that "rev-matching" was the term for this. [az]

Poopie
02-22-2008, 07:59 AM
BTW my 100 lb gf has no complaints driving my car. Some of you sound like sally's!

onemoremile
02-22-2008, 08:04 AM
My wife doesn't complain about my car either. Bunch of whiners.

dingguhlbary
02-22-2008, 09:31 AM
i know right, i personally love the way the audis and vws tend to catch high. i dont have to pound my foot on the pedal to shift gears. its rather fast, and id like to think my ride is pretty smooth.

GramCracker
02-22-2008, 09:44 AM
our trans' really arent bad unless its like ur first moth driving them. think of it this way, atleast we have hydraulic clutches..
WRXs and other jap cars have mechanical cluch engagement which really sucks

Whats the difference?

KenMack
02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Whats the difference?

I think he is talking about how modern cars use a master and slave cylinder (like brakes)to disengage the clutch actuator vs the old school system that used cables to pull on the actuator. Most cars use a hydrolic system. In fact. I'm pretty sure all do. Except for maybe some various Daewoos, and misc. cars made in third world countries.

As for this transmission thing. I'll say... the technology behind our B5 tranny is just old. The car was designed in what, '96? How many 6 speeds were around back then? For being that old. I think it works pretty nicely. The clutch is 128K old, and will probably fail in the next year, so yes I get that really high pedal also. Other than that, it works great. Just replaced all my engine mounts (poly snub nose) and I think it definitely feels more positive. I get clunks here an there, but at this age the 1 and 2 syncros could be starting to fail. Sure you get lag from the heavy flywheel, but the car wasn't designed to be an EVO beater. That's another reason why it only came with 150hp stock. The potential is definitely there though, as alot of you owners and tuners found out. Bottom line is... work with what you got. If you don't like the tranny change it, fix it, or get a different car altogether. If I had to gripe about something. It would be.... why is everything so damn expensive for German cars?

djwimbo
02-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Quit complaining. Is it bad that we don't have a 1st gear like a Honda? I personally think it's a good thing to accelerate all the way through an intersection without having to shift. Is it bad that I can tach out 2nd gear and stop before my rpm's die down to idle? (12.3" tt brakes). If you're going to complain about how the car shifts and be pissy about it, go buy a Honda again. What Honda doesn't offer is a quality vehicle anymore, I know I used to work for them. Especially in comparison to the Audi's these days. I'll take my B5 over any new Honda(car).
High release, take it AutoX'ing you'll learn to appreciate it.
Shifts hard into gear, get some Mobil 1 in that trans. Why are you shifting it hard when it's cold anyways? The only time I ever had an issue is when it was below 20*F and the engine was cold. Your clunking noise, get some new bushings/mounts.
If you're going to complain about Audi's transmissions, just be glad they don't use a T-case like DSM's and break all the time. Unfortunately their transmissions are heavy as Oprah, but I'll deal with the repercussions.

grip_racer
02-22-2008, 01:04 PM
B/C the tie rod ends have isolaters in them. You can get them with out. Make a big difference.

OH SNAP! where???

quattro4life
02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
just rev it out more before you shift. i found it shifts the smoothest around 4 grand or a little more. and im pretty sure all of our cars have tight second gears when its cold.

Kronic Budz
02-22-2008, 01:18 PM
just rev it out more before you shift. i found it shifts the smoothest around 4 grand or a little more. and im pretty sure all of our cars have tight second gears when its cold.

I dont seem to figure out why that my car seems to shift more rough and harder to shift at around 4000 rpms +. IDK why that is either. Is that normal or is my car retarded?

gmalm
02-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I think my B5 drive quites nice thanks. Actually its my favorite car that I have ever own. [:)]

legionvr6
02-22-2008, 02:44 PM
hhmmm the clunk is a bit anoying but shifting is nice and smooth most of the time. i dont get some people complaints. just pop on a 19lb fly wheel so theirs no chatering and it will be fine

audiness
02-22-2008, 08:34 PM
I've tried Royal Purple 75w-90, cheapo brand 75w-90 and finally redline 75w-90 and the 1st to 2nd gear clunk did not get any better.

317ssayzarc
02-22-2008, 08:38 PM
the tranny fluid has nothing to do with your clunk, that is caused by drivetrain slop!

AudiA4_20T
02-22-2008, 09:16 PM
the tranny fluid has nothing to do with your clunk, that is caused by drivetrain slop!

Exactly, get a snub, trans, and motor mounts and give us another review

317ssayzarc
02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Exactly, get a snub, trans, and motor mounts and give us another review

i even got the rear diff mounts and power ring... BALLIN lol [:p]

Side-Step
02-26-2008, 07:43 AM
My wife's A4 1st gear is really short.
Check these vids out. This is before the new suspension and new QED 2L motor.

http://thumbs.streetfire.net/ccaeac62-9b8f-4166-ab67-9d8eb20c8ef6.jpg (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/ccaeac62-9b8f-4166-ab67-9d8eb20c8ef6.htm)mkII gti with mods vs audi a4 avant gt28rstrack would not let me give him 10 cars so I gave him 4 lights each light 1/2 second (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/ccaeac62-9b8f-4166-ab67-9d8eb20c8ef6.htm)

Crappy vid, but we beat him
http://thumbs.streetfire.net/d2848c39-aac1-4d1f-bebe-d2fa8af26d17.jpg (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d2848c39-aac1-4d1f-bebe-d2fa8af26d17.htm)gt28rs audi vs monte ss with built motor and drag slicks. He had been beating up on ls-1's all night long (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d2848c39-aac1-4d1f-bebe-d2fa8af26d17.htm)

sirswank
02-26-2008, 07:48 AM

x2, explain..

anyway, stage 4 clutch with LWFW going in today, so we'll see how much that changes things. i'm expecting it to be an on/off button, but we'll see.

well..... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3704760

Side-Step
02-26-2008, 10:33 AM
The stock tie rod ends have rubber isolators. Takes the road vibs out of the steering wheel.
You can buy them with or without the isolators.

Take your front wheel off and look at your tierod end.

andyrew
02-26-2008, 11:51 AM

If you've never done it, dont hate.

I have done this with every stick shift car I have driven, If matched correctly there will be no wear to the trani, in fact it slips in so easy that there is less wear on the trani then using the clutch!

Andrew

sirswank
02-26-2008, 12:46 PM
The stock tie rod ends have rubber isolators. Takes the road vibs out of the steering wheel.
You can buy them with or without the isolators.

Take your front wheel off and look at your tierod end.

oh, right, the same rubber insert that fails all the time. ok, i thought you meant there was more to do than just get the larger HD style ones.

Ewok_Fetus
02-26-2008, 01:12 PM

Hahah, you might want to change your control arms too!! Honestly, I was thinking the steering was starting to get sloppy on my car... Knew it had to be a bit stiffer than what it actually was... Changed out control arms, got an alignment, and WOW! Made a HUGE difference... No play in the steering anymore...

And for those having trouble shifting, how much play do you have side to side on your shifter? I know mine is a gonner and shifting sucks but if I move the stick to where it should be if the bushing wasn't worn out, I have no problem...

djwimbo
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Try this, I think this is what you're talking about
click me (http://www.shop.jhmotorsports.com/product.sc;jsessionid=E2079E1E95583D64714BC7BB6C7F D1DB.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=21&productId=19)

Ewok_Fetus
02-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Yep! But I am still not willing to pay $90 for that when the stock WHOLE ROD is $150...

djwimbo
02-26-2008, 03:28 PM
You can custom make your own. I believe there's a write up on Vortex/Fourtitude. Basically all you have to do is drill it out and install bolts & spacers instead of the bushing. You've motivated me to go do mine now.

Toyotatech
02-26-2008, 03:52 PM

Every BMW I have been under has had a far greater caster angle than my A4 does.