PDA

View Full Version : Door panel insert removal.

fred2ka4
02-21-2008, 06:54 AM
I have seen a lot of people doing the DIY suede insert for the door panels so I have a question. How do you remove the inserts?

I have looked and it looks like a bunch of plastic tabs that are melted around the edge. Some guidance on the removal and maybe a few pictures from those who have done it would be nice.

Thanks

audiFUEGO
02-21-2008, 06:57 AM
your going to want to use a nice large flat head to carefully break the clips around that flat part.

Heres the best pic i could find:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/audiFUEGO/IMG_0875.jpg

Your going to want to be careful to keep as much of that "lip/tab" around the outside as possible, because you will use that to re-glue the insert back into your door.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/audiFUEGO/IMG_0876.jpg

Goodluck.

Poopie
02-21-2008, 06:58 AM
I've looked at mine and i think the only way to do it is to cut the plastic tabs, cover the peice, then rewled the plastic. It doesn't have to be a strong hold...so maybe juswt remelted with a cheap soldering iron will work. Harbor freight sells a plastic welder for 30 bucks. Or the other way is probably more of a pain in the ass. You could remove the grab handles of course first, then take the suede, cut to size, then use something to press the suede into the gaps.

Ewok_Fetus
02-21-2008, 07:40 AM
All I used was hot glue to put it back together... ALOT of hot glue...

Blake260
02-21-2008, 07:51 AM
I remelted the tabs with a soldering iron

fred2ka4
02-21-2008, 07:58 AM
I need to know how to take it off, but thanks for all the instructions on how to put it back on .......... [:D] .......... I'll have to get to that eventually.

Any pictures on how to CAREFULLY remove the plastic tabs? I was not quite sure about how that, "break the clips around the flat part" works.

I'm a visual kind of person so some pictures would be nice. I was thinking of using a stanley knife to cut the tabs off and then use epoxy to secure them back on.

A4_2.8tuner
02-21-2008, 08:10 AM
fred, the best way i found was to dremel out each of the plastic tabs. wish i had picture for ya. sorry

Eurotuned_A4
02-21-2008, 08:56 AM
i never even took mine off. i just got the fabric around and behind it with a screw driver. i simply just pushed it through.

SoFresh
02-21-2008, 09:18 AM
^^^That works, I did that as well. However with the tabs you can cut them off with some wire or metal snippers, the for a reinstall you can use hot glue of melt them back into position with a soldering iron, also you could use JB Weld.

audiFUEGO
02-21-2008, 11:38 AM
like i said, a large flathead screwdriver will do your trick.

Wedge it under the tab and use torsional force to break the tabs. Some will be harder to break than others.

fred2ka4
02-21-2008, 11:56 AM
I used a stanley knife, and for those who don't know it's basically a razor with a handle and cut off the tops of the mushroom heads, and a 3" wide 5 in 1, (or scraper) and all came off well. I was able to keep all of the tabs so what I did next was widen the holes a little and give myself some room so that the epoxy will have somewhere to go and something to bite onto when I put everything back together.

Now all is ready for the next stage ........ [:D]

I'll update it later, and thanks for all the help ......... [up]

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/Audiclusterproject015.jpg

SoFresh
02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
^^^ how many sets of wheels do you have laying around your place Fred?.... I see 2 different sets in that last pic, lol

audiFUEGO
02-21-2008, 03:41 PM
wow your inserts are in pretty good condition.. Mine had the adhesive coming loose... i guess from the heat

fred2ka4
02-21-2008, 05:37 PM
^^^ how many sets of wheels do you have laying around your place Fred?.... I see 2 different sets in that last pic, lol

The set that the trim is sitting on was for a BMW project that I was doing for my daughter but she said she didn't want THAT car, (1988 BMW 528e) so I sold it and the wheels were the last thing that I had left over. I really liked them so I held onto them for a while but now I need the space so they are going to a good home. The Other wheel is just my 19" RS4 spare that I am also trying to find a new home for ....... [:D]

Anyone wanna buy it?

biketsai
02-22-2008, 09:54 AM
if only it was a 18" spare