PDA

View Full Version : JHM GT28 turbo project (VAST GT 600 kit) Dan's record setting K03 car is the specimen

jaybquick@JHM
02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Hey guys wanted to let you all know that we just started a GT28 turbo project S4. (the VAST GT 600 kit) We will be attempting this on a bone stock motor, so it will not be a max effort buildup. We want to see what we can do on a budget with no motor work. Obviously in time we will have to build a motor when we want more power and to run more boost. Or blow it up in the process. [:D] But for now we are limited by Dan's (Bertworks) budget. Which has to be pretty large for even what we are doing. HAHA.

For more info on our project car, look at the second car on our projects page. -> http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/

[drive] 135mph + traps or bust.

NOTE: We are not currently "officially" selling the fueling or turbo kit until ours and VAST's R&D is done. I need to spend a lot of time making it run well on 91 octane and other parts in the kit need to be finalized. However VAST and I can produce cars for local customers that can drop off their cars for a period of time. It is just not a kit at this point and still requires custom tuning and lots of fabrication.

Got the Motor out, here are some pics. Just waiting on the rest of the parts to start the work.

http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/danS4/Dan_GT_dissasemble.JPG

http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/danS4/Dan_GT_dissasemble3.JPG

The legendary 147k 12.28 @ 114mph K03s from Dan's car!!
http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/danS4/147k_K03_runnin_low_12s.JPG

Details/History on the setup and info on VAST's GT28 powered car

-The kit has INTERNAL waste gates, not external

-VAST's car has RS4 intercoolers

-VAST's engine is a BONE stock 2.7L 80k mile short block. NOT a max effort 3.0L build up. It does have RS4 heads, cams, intake, etc.

-The car was originally completed in 2005 and VAST was not able to move further with the project since GIAC was unable to help them tune something with that kind of power. Now that Kurt (a ford racing engineer) is backing their software (same guy I use as well) they were able to finally make some progress on the tune. I look forward to contributing by ironing out a 91 octane tune with Kurt

-The headers are longtube headers based off of a Lincoln 3.5L twin turbo concept car. Kurt from VAST works at Ford and spent a year on the lincoln project twin turbo car. He learned a lot about long tube header design for twin turbo V6s and basically applied a multi million dollar R&D to the 2.7L S4 motor. Hence the fact that they are doing what they are doing with a full interior and full exhaust car with a crappy launch.

-The lincoln 3.5L twin turbo concept car motor that the VAST GT kit is based off of.
http://jhmotorsports.com/GT600/pictures/lincoln-mkr-concept-2.jpg

-The VAST GT600 car with a strikingly similar design (just the turbos are moved to the back and other details to fit it in the car)
http://jhmotorsports.com/GT600/pictures/VAST_GT_Car_longtube_headers.jpg

-VAST GT600 kit motor out of the car.
http://jhmotorsports.com/GT600/pictures/VAST_GT_Motor_on_bench_w_exhaust.jpg

-This is the only GT kit that I am aware of that actually has some serious R&D in the header design to make more power with less boost. Not just some headers made to stuff everything in the stock location. The header length and pipe diameters have hundreds of hours invested in them for maximum power and efficiency. That is why we are backing this kit.

Beta Tune Track Results with VAST's car. Check out how the 131mph has a certain half track speed and look at the 134mph slip that is missing the final trap but has a higher half track showing that they must have got at least 133mph. The track kicked them out for running as fast as they did, so they didn't put the MPH on it.
http://jhmotorsports.com/GT600/pictures/GT600_131trap.JPG
http://jhmotorsports.com/GT600/pictures/GT600_134trap_track_wouldnt_give.JPG

-Mike at VAST shifted the car at or below 7400 rpm. This was the first time out with a Beta tune and only 23 psi boost.

Oh and the video Kurt at VAST Made: http://jhmotorsports.com/GT600/VAST_GT600_134mph_trap.wmv

AB18
02-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Nice man, to bad we never saw 11.XX out of Dans car, but those Gts will do the trick im sure :).

Still waiting on that trans rebuild video!! :). J/k man, i know your swamped.

jaybquick@JHM
02-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Nice man, to bad we never saw 11.XX out of Dans car, but those Gts will do the trick im sure :).

Still waiting on that trans rebuild video!! :). J/k man, i know your swamped.

Yeah, I need to share a pic of his passenger turbo though, it had a wasted compressor wheel. That is probably what kept the 11.XX away. However, the guy who owns the machine shop that builds my shifters should be getting a S4 soon for me to do my evil work on and hopefully I can talk him to letting me drive it to an 11.x once we put our recipe on it. Since I get to fix it if I break it I think I have a good shot. (Gee I wonder why he would be getting one of those). HAHA.

As for the trans build video, I have PinoyS4 lined up to help me get it done. He wants a pre built tranny done so he can just swap it out and give me back his when he is done. Since I have a spare laying around for this purpose it works out great. We are working towards getting his car to back up my times as well. I switched him to my Tuning after his 11.51 pass. We have made some progress with his setup and with a fresh clutch and trans it should be fun.

lil' is 300
02-20-2008, 10:55 PM
We don't need another new GT car thread...

...oh wait, yes we do [:D]

B5 S4 goes HARD in 2008. Look forward to seeing some nasty traps. [drive]

S4 in_lowplaces
02-20-2008, 11:19 PM

no shit huh, gt's are the new k04's... well not really but you guys get the point.

Dan@JHM
02-20-2008, 11:26 PM
im not really into these hype threads and what not but i am excited to get my car done and get back to the track as soon as possible.

lil' is 300
02-20-2008, 11:41 PM
im not really into these hype threads and what not but i am excited to get my car done and get back to the track as soon as possible.

*cue eye of the tiger music* [:p]

Leester
02-21-2008, 12:16 AM
I dont think its fair to say that GIAC cant tune something with that kind of power...look at the evo 750 kit for porsche...If Im not mistaken, they have tuned those to 800 hp on a consistent basis. Just my ten cents. I just installed your shifter by the way and its pretty darn nice. Best of luck.

Jesse S.
02-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Berts factory freak car is going to be a GT freak now.

Damn youz. Ship it out here and let me take it for a spin.

Dan@JHM
02-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Berts factory freak car is going to be a GT freak now.

Damn youz. Ship it out here and let me take it for a spin.

hey i think we will be stopping by hawaii sometime in july when we transpack on our way to australia, ill let you know when. haha maybe i can show you a thing or two about driving then [drive]

Jesse S.
02-21-2008, 12:56 AM
hey i think we will be stopping by hawaii sometime in july when we transpack on our way to australia, ill let you know when. haha maybe i can show you a thing or two about driving then [drive]

Nice..before you come bring a GT KIT, your custom Bert-Exhaust and have Jason install my Shifter linkage!

[:D]

Nah, just let me know exact days.. I will still be on island in July.

generationjdm
02-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Jay not to start a debate and I know where your coming from but It's not the only manifold to have R&D done, We've been flowing different sizes and length runners & merge collectors for 8 months now to maximum efficiency. Right now the merge collector design scavenges very well as a good manifold should.. Good luck with the car sounds awesome

NYCVR6
02-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Jay not to start a debate and I know where your coming from but It's not the only manifold to have R&D done, We've been flowing different sizes and length runners & merge collectors for 8 months now to maximum efficiency. Right now the merge collector design scavenges very well as a good manifold should.. Good luck with the car sounds awesome

Same here my manifolds have quite a bit of time onto them and are very close to equal length, burns collectors, etc..

Looks like a sweet build. [up]

dougyfresh
02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
-VAST's engine is a BONE stock 2.7L 80k mile short block. NOT a max effort 3.0L build up. It does have RS4 heads, cams, intake, etc.

So are you saying Dan's car will get RS4 heads, cams and intakes but be a stock 2.7L short block?

The_Jerbel
02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
He was saying that the VAST car has build heads, I think this project will have a stock long block ;)

dougyfresh
02-21-2008, 10:43 AM
He was saying that the VAST car has build heads, I think this project will have a stock long block ;)

That is all I was trying to figure out. Thanks.

Dan@JHM
02-21-2008, 02:27 PM

not really directed toward you if you know what i mean [;)]

Dan@JHM
02-21-2008, 02:34 PM
So are you saying Dan's car will get RS4 heads, cams and intakes but be a stock 2.7L short block?

haha i wish, but no, i really didnt have the extra money at the moment to fit those in my budget. plus we really wanted to see what a completely stock engine could do on this kit.

but i do plan on adding those parts when i rebuild by engine at a later date.

revhards4
02-21-2008, 03:53 PM
good luck with everything...I've known Mike for a long time and he's always been really great with everything. Your car should turn out awesome

generationjdm
02-21-2008, 04:47 PM
not really directed toward you if you know what i mean [;)]I really didn't think so, I know where he was going with that.haha[:D]

hyperlight944
02-21-2008, 07:05 PM
g*d dammit FU*k my f*king k04s lol i should have waited to do this lol but w/e ill prob like em more when i get fueling intercoolers and clutch lol anyways now that m rant is over lmao amazing car and sound from it...not sure if im feeling the one pipe out of the back for the exhaust...too rice for me ....but gosh it sounds good man [wrench][drive] ohh and mikes and prince are beasts .....

-----Daniel M, from fl lol

and oh ill prob be calling you guys soon to run an intake setup like that lol if you could help it would be great

EUROTEK//S4
02-21-2008, 07:57 PM
you guys should use some of these sweet tial ss housings ?

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=1870&osCsid=50745da67e0d7251b91f7320010149a5

generationjdm
02-21-2008, 08:07 PM
There not available, there on there site with zero clue on when they will be released. I spoked to them yesterday..

Kievskiy
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
how do u chage the spark plugs with those manifolds?

lil' is 300
02-21-2008, 08:52 PM

with a few tools. There's enough clearence.

Dan@JHM
02-21-2008, 10:51 PM

haha like you normally would on an s4?

maybe it might take a couple more extensions and universal joints but it wont be a problem.

jaybquick@JHM
02-21-2008, 10:51 PM

Well that, you know we can deliver. We wouldn't have it any other way. [race]

Shut up homo. You know you like the attention. Get your ass to work boy, lets get this done. [wrench]

I dont think its fair to say that GIAC cant tune something with that kind of power...look at the evo 750 kit for porsche...If Im not mistaken, they have tuned those to 800 hp on a consistent basis. Just my ten cents. I just installed your shifter by the way and its pretty darn nice. Best of luck.

Valid point. I meant they couldn't or wouldn't tune the S4 for that much power. There are limiting factors that the Factory S4 ECU reaches at about 530whp. There are several ways around this but it is time consuming and some approaches are not safe. The other reason could be they could have cared less about VAST, or that they have moved on to other projects and platforms. Either way, VAST didn't get the help they needed back in 05. And obviously the ECUs in the cars you mentioned can't be compared to an S4 ECU. Maybe I just worded it wrong.

I stand corrected and haven't been on the forums enough to see your R&D.

I really didn't think so, I know where he was going with that.haha[:D]

[;)]

g*d dammit FU*k my f*king k04s lol i should have waited to do this lol but w/e ill prob like em more when i get fueling intercoolers and clutch lol anyways now that m rant is over lmao amazing car and sound from it...not sure if im feeling the one pipe out of the back for the exhaust...too rice for me ....but gosh it sounds good man [wrench][drive] ohh and mikes and prince are beasts .....

-----Daniel M, from fl lol

and oh ill prob be calling you guys soon to run an intake setup like that lol if you could help it would be great

With K04s you should stick with an RS4 airbox tops. They run better. I ran an RS4 airbox when I went 11.1 @ 130mph on my K04s. Don't be dissapointed in your K04s yet. K04s with great tuning, exhaust and intercooling will run hard and have great boost down low. I still love my K04s. I personally will probably be switching to our bolt on RS6 turbos when I want to step it up a little.

3rd degree burns. [:D] It isn't that bad. An extra universal joint and the right length extension, it is cake. Everything is still able to be changed if you got the skill. Except to pull the tranny, you got to pull the motor, since you need to remove the headers. But performance was the primary concern and hopefully we pick the right clutch.

Dan@JHM
02-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Shut up homo. You know you like the attention. Get your ass to work boy, lets get this done. [wrench]

haha maybe if you werent on the computer all the time you could get some work done on it while im gone doing the week...bitch

jaybquick@JHM
03-05-2008, 12:32 AM
This project is still in progress. Unfortunately Dan is in the military and not a paying customer being a friend of mine. So bear with us for updates and pics. He is busy serving our country 5 days a week and he is stationed a 3 hour drive from my shop. And sometimes he can only get off every other week.

So I mainly help on on the real technical stuff and of course I will be tuning it. Can't wait for that. DAN, get your ass down here this Friday SON!

Dan@JHM
03-05-2008, 02:00 AM
This project is still in progress. Unfortunately Dan is in the military and not a paying customer being a friend of mine. So bear with us for updates and pics. He is busy serving our country 5 days a week and he is stationed a 3 hour drive from my shop. And sometimes he can only get off every other week.

So I mainly help on on the real technical stuff and of course I will be tuning it. Can't wait for that. DAN, get your ass down here this Friday SON!

haha ok old man, who asked about updates anyways?

generationjdm
03-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Jay when ever I update you seem to place or update a thread right after.haha

jaybquick@JHM
03-05-2008, 11:17 AM
haha ok old man, who asked about updates anyways?

Your mom did.

casawhites4
03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Your mom did.

love it!!! keep it coming guys!

jaybquick@JHM
03-05-2008, 11:42 AM
love it!!! keep it coming guys!

HAHA. You should be around when he is at the shop. Verbal lashings left and right, we should set up a web cam. Anyone who doesn't know us, looks all uncomfortable and usually leaves it gets so bad. HAHA.

casawhites4
03-05-2008, 11:48 AM
HAHA. You should be around when he is at the shop. Verbal lashings left and right, we should set up a web cam. Anyone who doesn't know us, looks all uncomfortable and usually leaves it gets so bad. HAHA.

all i got out of that, was you guys are all a bunch of hooligans!!! im in need of an rs6 setup jason....was talkin to prince at vast, but have issues with my car that i need worked out before....

Dan@JHM
03-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Your mom did.

atleast i have a mom and wasnt given up for adoption...

PinoyS4
03-05-2008, 01:22 PM
atleast i have a mom and wasnt given up for adoption...

damn[eek][:d]

jaybquick@JHM
03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
all i got out of that, was you guys are all a bunch of hooligans!!! im in need of an rs6 setup jason....was talkin to prince at vast, but have issues with my car that i need worked out before....

What is going on with your car? Are you bringing it to them? If so they will take good care of you.

damn[eek][:d]

I will let Dan get away with that one. I am heading to borrow a forklift right now and put his car on top of the dumpster where it belongs.

Dan@JHM
03-06-2008, 03:07 AM
What is going on with your car? Are you bringing it to them? If so they will take good care of you.

I will let Dan get away with that one. I am heading to borrow a forklift right now and put his car on top of the dumpster where it belongs.

haha might as well let the fire department know im coming by and burning down your shop [up]

jaybquick@JHM
04-30-2008, 01:07 PM
UPDATE: Dan with only once a month to work on it - sometimes twice (in the military and stationed 4 hours away) has made some serious progress on the project.

I haven't been much help other than providing storage, advice, tools and gathering parts, but I plan on getting more involved this week now that it is so close (I am a mean one huh??) Just been too busy. I can't wait to tune it.

Some pics for ya guys. The rerunning of lines and wires is very time consuming (Dan pulled some all nighters)

http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/danS4/JHM_GTkit_Pass_Turbo.JPG

http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/danS4/JHM_GTkit_Driver_Turbo.JPG

http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/danS4/JHM_GTkit_Pass_Side_Engine_In.JPG

http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/danS4/JHM_GTkit_Driver_Side_Engine_In.JPG

Dr. Jekyll
04-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Congrats Dan! Can't wait to see the finished product :-)

But damn does that look like a pita to install, haha.

archimense
04-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Dan and I just swapped center diffs. I can say he was an awesome, honest, and reliable guy to do business with.

I hope his car turns out awesome. So far it is looking great.

panix73
04-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Lookin' good Dan. Can't wait to see results of that intake mani. That thing is monstrous.

lil' is 300
04-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Nice to see some progress. Why the internal gates?

Justin:NorCal
04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
They are more software friendly.

Nice to see some progress. Why the internal gates?

lil' is 300
04-30-2008, 03:09 PM

I thought it would be the otherway around. I remember VAG saying they had major boost control issues on internals after a certain psi (20psi or so? Can't remember exactly).

Dowskeet
04-30-2008, 04:14 PM
haha might as well let the fire department know im coming by and burning down your shop [up]

[>_<] haha.. I could see where this could lead. That would be entertaining to see.. Do you two ever end up throwing tools at each other when no more verbal bashings are thought of?

Cant wait to see the finished product. Looks like a very well thought through kit.
[up]

AudiA4_20T
04-30-2008, 04:16 PM

you just have to run more boost [up] that takes care of things

cjk
04-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Details on that intake mani? :)

MiniRS4
04-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Details on that intake mani? :)

it was my old RS6'er TB and SPTurkz PnP dilly.
btw, ur welcome Dan. =)

///M3 TO S4
04-30-2008, 06:40 PM
how in the hell do you change the plugs!?!? Looks awesome btw....

Europowerhaus
04-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Phat ride, tear some shit up this year man!

revhards4
04-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Can't wait till you guys get the car running good. Also, I like seeing all these GT threads pop up because it keeps things interesting around here

joemomma
05-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Nice dan nice to see progress! What series GTs are they??

joemomma
05-03-2008, 01:37 AM
?????

jaybquick@JHM
05-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. Unfortunately Dan has been having to work more in the military and making the round trip of 7 plus hours to work on his car for only a half a day at a time. They haven't been giving him many weekends off.

So hence the fact he isn't online, he is either working, on the road or in my shop pulling an all nighter.

I keep trying to find time to help, then orders come in and phone calls and emails. So just my advice and pointers is all the poor guy gets.

I will obviously spend more time when the tuning part comes. But that can be done at my convenience.

jaybquick@JHM
05-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Nice dan nice to see progress! What series GTs are they??

Garrett GT2560R (aka GT28R)

Smallest 28s. Being that it is a bone stock motor and only 2.7l not a stroker anything to keep lag away is a good thing.

generationjdm
05-04-2008, 06:23 PM
The gt2560 is the third smallest gt28, the smallest is the gt2854 http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2854R_471171_9.htm 270chp next size up from there is the GT 2860-7 http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2860R_707160_7.htm 310 chp, then you have the gt2560 http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT25/GT2560R_466541_1.htm 330 chp... The 2560 has the gt25 turbine wheel, which is .8 smaller then the other 2 I posted above, but the gt2560 will out perform the other 2 hands down, this is the same turbo i will be using on my car soon... Great choice for all around performance, awesome spool and great top end...

joemomma
05-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Garrett GT2560R (aka GT28R)

Smallest 28s. Being that it is a bone stock motor and only 2.7l not a stroker anything to keep lag away is a good thing.

Is this the same turbo that the Vast gt is running??

generationjdm
05-04-2008, 07:17 PM
No

joemomma
05-04-2008, 07:27 PM
No

Damn that was a quick no lol which ones is the vast car running on the video it says gt2860s but there is like a million different kinda.

lil' is 300
05-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I believe they were 28RS's...there are only slight varations between the 2860's.

generationjdm
05-04-2008, 08:08 PM
There are 3 different Gt2860ss, theres the -5 360chp standard gt28 comp housing theres a -7 310chp small gt25 comp cover smaller comp wheel also, then theres the gt2860rs also 360chp the s stands for special IE the comp cover, the comp wheel on the rs is the newest design, but still the same power as the -5...

jaybquick@JHM
05-04-2008, 08:19 PM
The gt2560 is the third smallest gt28, the smallest is the gt2854 http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2854R_471171_9.htm 270chp next size up from there is the GT 2860-7 http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2860R_707160_7.htm 310 chp, then you have the gt2560 http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT25/GT2560R_466541_1.htm 330 chp... The 2560 has the gt25 turbine wheel, which is .8 smaller then the other 2 I posted above, but the gt2560 will out perform the other 2 hands down, this is the same turbo i will be using on my car soon... Great choice for all around performance, awesome spool and great top end...

Thanks for the info. I didn't bother looking it up. Knew they were on the smaller side.

Is this the same turbo that the Vast gt is running??

Yup, came off their car. Dan saved money and they got some money to redo their setup with bigger turbos. A win win.

So yes, the exact same, being that it came straight off their car.

No

WRONG!!! See my response above. Got to be careful about inserting your opinion as fact when you know nothing about our car.

lil' is 300
05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
GT2560R (-9) aka GT28R is actually slightly larger than GT2860R (-7)...GT2860 (-5) is virtually identical to the GT2860RS except the RS has a larger turbine housing.

GT2860RS > GT2860R (-5) > GT2560R (-9 aka GT28R) > GT2860R (-7)

So many numbers, that's why it gets so confusing...my head hurts. [:|]

jaybquick@JHM
05-24-2008, 11:31 AM
The car is now complete. Lets just say on only our 4th file revision on the pump tune the car is pulling a ton faster than my K04 car on its pump tune. We will be working on a race file for it shortly.

We got it done when Dan and I spent a weekend on it and we were up til 5 a.m. on that Sat night, then 3 a.m. on the Sunday night. Tying up all the loose ends and doing a clean battery install in the trunk were time consuming. The hard work paid off. Good job Dan!

Some pics for your enjoyment.
http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/danS4/JHM_Dan_GT28_Car_Complete.JPG

http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/danS4/JHM_Dan_GT28_Car_Complete_Engine.JPG

http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/danS4/JHM_Dan_GT28_Car_Trunk_Mount_Battery.JPG

lil' is 300
05-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Sick! Interesting custom charge pipe collector. Pleaaaase get some JHM Vid action of this set up...we need some raw driving footage, the forums have been so slow lately.

oh, and btw, Dans 4.2 > GT 2.7t [>_<]

my2000APB
05-24-2008, 12:27 PM

um what, 4.2? pass it to the left, n/a v8 ftl!

b5pusher
05-24-2008, 01:38 PM
congratulations dan. that thing must sound amazing.

RolledMySTi
05-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Looks great. Now get us hp junkies some video.

jaybquick@JHM
05-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Sick! Interesting custom charge pipe collector. Pleaaaase get some JHM Vid action of this set up...we need some raw driving footage, the forums have been so slow lately.

Will do. He should be back up from military duty hopefully next weekend. I will only race him if we start at 2500rpm, so my K04s can get the jump and give me somewhat of a chance.

congratulations dan. that thing must sound amazing.

It sounds like a friggen street bike when he is pulling it 7500rpm. (so far that is only as far as we have pushed it with pump gas, no need to go higher than that especially with a stock motor)

Looks great. Now get us hp junkies some video.

Hopefully soon.

PinoyS4
05-24-2008, 03:31 PM
lookin' good guys, can't wait to hit the track together and see what that thing will do[drive]

panix73
05-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Awesome! Lookin' good! I'm still jealous you got that intake mani, although I'm also still a little skeptically of the effects of the positioning and/or throttle body angle variation in the process of making the new TB mounting plates. I think I've been reading too many flow/design theory books lately and just being too worrisome, lol. Regardless, it worked well for the couple months Geno had it on his car and can't wait to see what it'll do on this beast.

Props for doing your own thing and following what you believe! [wrench]

joemomma
09-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Any Updates?!?!?!

2001S4NY
09-09-2008, 01:36 AM
nice, lets see some results :) Also where did you get that hood?

Reaxion
09-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Still using the JHM fmic?

jaybquick@JHM
09-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Any Updates?!?!?!

nice, lets see some results :) Also where did you get that hood?

No updates. Dan left for 6 months or more to serve our country as of late June. So other than a break in period and only a little tuning, that is as far as we got. So it just sits at his moms since I don't have the time or space for it right now. When he gets back, we can get back on the horse.

It would walk on my car hard on the top end, both on pump gas.

Still using the JHM fmic?

Yup, sure does. Latest piping kit and all.

S4-ORCE
09-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Impressive, well done!

S-Power
09-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Jay, Dan is gonna burn ur ass ahahahah [:p]

2ndEngineS4
09-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Depends on the race. Personally, my money is on the latest revision of the jbquickmobile in the quarter.

PinoyS4
09-10-2008, 10:54 AM
wonder what that is[;)][:D]

espo4442
09-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Jay now that you guys no longer have an active k03 record holder on the roster I am more than willing to allow the use of my car to represent jhm on th east coast , with all parts supplied of course lollll[:D]

S-Power
09-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Jay now that you guys no longer have an active k03 record holder on the roster I am more than willing to allow the use of my car to represent jhm on th east coast , with all parts supplied of course lollll[:D]

Muahahahahaha that was textbook

espo4442
09-11-2008, 05:22 AM
Muahahahahaha that was textbook

hahah yea but anyways back to the topic, big ups to you guys for the work, looks awesome and I can't wait to see some vid's

jaybquick@JHM
09-12-2008, 01:14 AM
Impressive, well done!

Thanks. Dan put in a lot of hardwork. I can't take all the credit, even though I put in my share.

Jay, Dan is gonna burn ur ass ahahahah [:p]

We will see. [drive]

Depends on the race. Personally, my money is on the latest revision of the jbquickmobile in the quarter.

Is that a version of the batmobile?

wonder what that is[;)][:D]

[wrench]

HAHA, I got Matt@JHM here sporting K03s still. I would be more than happy to help you pick the right parts and some advice.

hahah yea but anyways back to the topic, big ups to you guys for the work, looks awesome and I can't wait to see some vid's

I am certain Dan will be ready for some video fun when he gets back next year from serving our country overseas.

2ndEngineS4
09-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Is that a version of the batmobile?

Nope. . . I said latest revision. . .that's the tumbler bro.

Dan@JHM
09-13-2008, 07:23 AM
yo

AudiSportB5S4
09-13-2008, 08:01 AM
lol, hey look its the owner of the car!....

are you back in the states?

Dan@JHM
02-13-2009, 10:56 PM
hey guys, finally back to the states and driving the car again. had to fix one of my brake rotors and my drive shaft but my car feels solid now and ready to finalize the tune. hope to head out to the track next weekend if the weather holds up and everything goes to plan, its good to be back and drive the beast again.

PinoyS4
02-13-2009, 11:08 PM
it's on dogeee[:D] let's see that beast run[drive] hey, how about the nogaro beast?[:|] when is that gonna be ready to come out and play?[wrench]

Dan@JHM
02-13-2009, 11:18 PM
it's on dogeee[:D] let's see that beast run[drive] hey, how about the nogaro beast?[:|] when is that gonna be ready to come out and play?[wrench]

probably start putting it back together next week, just figured id help out because im tired of not having any competition ;)

Das General
02-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Looking forward to the results. Hope you set some records!

Dan@JHM
02-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Looking forward to the results. Hope you set some records!

we'll see, im not planning on doing anything crazy since it'll be my first track visit with the new setup, i just want to see how it does and not try to push anything. plus my 3rd gear is starting to go and hard to shift into so until i pull my engine again to rebuild my trans its going to hold me back a little bit as well.

PinoyS4
02-13-2009, 11:26 PM
probably start putting it back together next week, just figured id help out because im tired of not having any competition ;)

cool, can't wait[:d]

2ndEngineS4
02-13-2009, 11:39 PM
cool, can't wait[:d]

All I know is one of you m-fers better stop though the grove and scoop me up on the way to the track. That is all.

PinoyS4
02-13-2009, 11:46 PM
All I know is one of you m-fers better stop though the grove and scoop me up on the way to the track. That is all.

just holla[:D]

wackoo
02-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Its on again. hahaha. Im comin for sure. Need to fix my rear diff mount though.

casawhites4
02-14-2009, 12:43 AM
we'll see, im not planning on doing anything crazy since it'll be my first track visit with the new setup, i just want to see how it does and not try to push anything. plus my 3rd gear is starting to go and hard to shift into so until i pull my engine again to rebuild my trans its going to hold me back a little bit as well.

Off topic but I'm interested in the exhaust cutouts the electric dumps.

Dan@JHM
02-14-2009, 10:28 AM

damn i guess you better take off on your bike at around 8am to make it there on time ;)

michael66899
02-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Can you guys pleasee post some videos of this beast, because I know you guys know how to make a video. Or at least some more pics? [up] JHM

Das General
02-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Yeah I'd like to see some pics and details of Bertworks car.

Korben007
02-14-2009, 11:14 PM
so ur trying to go on the 21st huh?

Renegades
02-14-2009, 11:39 PM
You guys definitely need to get some 60-130 times on this beast, that'll be exciting, and truly show how quick it is! :)

Das General
02-15-2009, 12:17 AM
You guys definitely need to get some 60-130 times on this beast, that'll be exciting, and truly show how quick it is! :)

Holy shit, a Renegades sighting. You did hear about the calculated GT28 60-130 on lil`is300's car right?

Renegades
02-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Holy shit, a Renegades sighting. You did hear about the calculated GT28 60-130 on lil`is300's car right?

Yo Deb!
Haha it's been forever since i've been on here, way too long! [;)]

I'm gonna try hangin around here some more, just cause haha

But no I haven't heard the calculated 60-130 time on his car yet - what is it?

I really want to see some solid/verified times though, i'd be curious. It'll tell me what I need to do to the 996tt to stay in the game [:D]

Das General
02-15-2009, 02:53 PM
It was calculated at approximately 6.1 seconds on pump gas, with a 1 degree incline, IIRC.

Renegades
02-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Sheesh. haha That'll be quick! What are the GT28 cars making on pump gas btw?

obviouspro
02-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Love seeing all these GT cars nowadays. Can't wait to see how it performs!

OT sorry but renegades, that's a crazy stable you got there for 20! What in gods creation kinda work do you do haha?

Dan@JHM
02-15-2009, 03:16 PM

is this 60 to 130 staying in 4th gear the whole time or with a 3-4 shift?

Das General
02-15-2009, 03:49 PM
is this 60 to 130 staying in 4th gear the whole time or with a 3-4 shift?

It requires one shift. 3 to 4...

Dan@JHM
02-15-2009, 05:53 PM
It requires one shift. 3 to 4...

k, if i have time ill try to see what mine can do.

Evilevo
02-15-2009, 06:03 PM
BTW, you can start before 60MPH. You are allowed a rolling start to account for lag.

Renegades
02-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Love seeing all these GT cars nowadays. Can't wait to see how it performs!

OT sorry but renegades, that's a crazy stable you got there for 20! What in gods creation kinda work do you do haha?

Haha, I can't take credit for the 996TT, that's my Dad's - even though I put my money into modding it (he rarely drives it [;)]). But the others are/were mine. Depending on the month, I change cars a lot heh [:D]

Full time college student, but i do work for Porsche, and some other stuff. [:)]

k, if i have time ill try to see what mine can do.

Nice, can't wait to see what it does! [:D]

obviouspro
02-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Haha, I can't take credit for the 996TT, that's my Dad's - even though I put my money into modding it (he rarely drives it [;)]). But the others are/were mine. Depending on the month, I change cars a lot heh [:D]

Full time college student, but i do work for Porsche, and some other stuff. [:)]
[:D]

Power to ya man, that's sweet. Back on topic haha. I just noticed that this is on stock motor which makes me even more excited to see what happens. Keep us updated.

Dan@JHM
02-15-2009, 11:05 PM
hey guys didnt have time tonight plus it was raining pretty hard ealier so ill try again later. but as far as my engine goes its completely stock from intake manifold all the way to the bottom end, only thing i have done at the moment are rs4 cams.

wdbdy2000s4
02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
It was calculated at approximately 6.1 seconds on pump gas, with a 1 degree incline, IIRC.

with a 3.5 second 0-60 that puts him at 130mph in 9.6...imagine the quarter times and trap speeds. Were those calculations on 26PSI or 35 PSI?

AudiA4_20T
02-16-2009, 07:09 PM
and some other stuff. [:)]

man, Ive thought about doing "other things" quite a bit, my damn car would be finished by now lol

Das General
02-16-2009, 08:04 PM
man, Ive thought about doing "other things" quite a bit, my damn car would be finished by now lol

Yeah, you need to stop. LOL.

A4 TSCHUSS
02-16-2009, 08:11 PM
I'll take an 8 ball! NOT!

Renegades
02-16-2009, 08:43 PM

Well it's mainly stuff with cars, especially through my dealership, but I also make money with my investments... Previously real-estate, but I got out of that before the big slump, and now I do some day trading to take advantage of our volatile market. You can make a bunch, or lose a ton. Key is set a goal, say $1000, work at making that much profit, then once you get there, take out all the money you used originally, so you're safe... Then play real aggressive with the profit you've made - if you ever go belly up, you haven't lost anything - it was money you never 'had' so to speak [:)] You have everything to gain, and 'nothing' to lose heh. Throw $1000 at a stock that jumps 30% one day and there's $300 extra. Now you have $1300, then go do something with that in some other stocks, etc. [:D]

Keep emotion out of it or you will get burned sometimes. I have some stocks that are down 50% right now, but if I pull out i'm done, key is wait till they climb back up at some point, and meanwhile - make money in other stocks. [;)]

Anyways, back on topic, I want to see some 60-130 times!!! [drive]

02-16-2009, 08:59 PM
hey guys didnt have time tonight plus it was raining pretty hard ealier so ill try again later. but as far as my engine goes its completely stock from intake manifold all the way to the bottom end, only thing i have done at the moment are rs4 cams.

Dan to be taken seriously on this with the big communities you will have to use a drift box or something of that nature.

A lot of the information can be found in this thread here
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/55163-6speedonline-1-4-mile-60-130-mph-standings.html

If you want I can get ahold of someone with one and we can get you set to run a GPS confirmed run

Evilevo
02-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Dan to be taken seriously on this with the big communities you will have to use a drift box or something of that nature.

A lot of the information can be found in this thread here
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/55163-6speedonline-1-4-mile-60-130-mph-standings.html

If you want I can get ahold of someone with one and we can get you set to run a GPS confirmed run

And that is why when my car is done, i am buying a driftbox ;)

02-16-2009, 09:20 PM
And that is why when my car is done, i am buying a driftbox ;)

I would think a good running 3.0L GT28 car would be similar in time to a 996 GT700.

Evilevo
02-16-2009, 09:22 PM
I would think a good running 3.0L GT28 car would be similar in time to a 996 GT700.

I dont think you will need the 3.0L. We shall see what my car does when it is done. Im not doing any crazy RS4 cams or intake manifolds tho. Just fully built motor with built 2.8 heads/cams

Renegades
02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Well, enough talking, lets see some numbers! [:D]

02-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Son, get some RennTech goods on the E55. That is a shame.

Renegades
02-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Son, get some RennTech goods on the E55. That is a shame.

Haha, I'll eventually do something like that, but for now, all the money is being put into the 996TT. [:D]

The gains on that car yield much more than those on the E55. [;)]

Evilevo
02-17-2009, 03:22 PM

Bahaha, I wish my car would be done just like that!!

jaybquick@JHM
02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Can you guys pleasee post some videos of this beast, because I know you guys know how to make a video. Or at least some more pics? [up] JHM

We have some videos of some burnouts I did while he was away. (he begged me for some footage of his car). HEHE.

We will try to shoot some more when we get a chance.

02-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Little video of Dan's GT car from my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNY4jH5Qr8Q

Dan@JHM
02-18-2009, 12:54 AM
ok guys, jason and i finally got a chance to get some work done on the pump file tonight, its not 100% complete but getting very close. even though it was a little wet outside i couldnt even get on it in 2nd because it just spun the tires to redline. its pulling very hard and i cant wait to start tuning for race gas...

cjk
02-18-2009, 10:10 AM
More vids and logs please! [:D]

Look forward for more updates

veggiemonster
02-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Little video of Dan's GT car from my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNY4jH5Qr8Q

sounds absolutely ridiculous

Evilevo
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
ok guys, jason and i finally got a chance to get some work done on the pump file tonight, its not 100% complete but getting very close. even though it was a little wet outside i couldnt even get on it in 2nd because it just spun the tires to redline. its pulling very hard and i cant wait to start tuning for race gas...

You think you are gonna be able to run race gas on a stock motor?

Dan@JHM
02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
You think you are gonna be able to run race gas on a stock motor?

well ill probly work on my race file either tonight or tomorrow night if i have time so i guess well just have to wait and see ;)...

Evilevo
02-18-2009, 11:00 AM
well ill probly work on my race file either tonight or tomorrow night if i have time so i guess well just have to wait and see ;)...

I wish you good luck. I dont think my motor would have taken much more on my pump gas set up on my RS6ss. But hey, what do i know [:D]

I have a feeling Jay will stop before you get too close to pushing the limit!! [up]

haus4
02-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Cant wait for some more videos

GURUMAN
02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Wow man, I tought my car sounded bad, this sound is insane man...

Dan@JHM
02-20-2009, 08:24 PM
so these last few nights we have been working on my 91 octane pump file and i think we got it pretty close to where we want it. this is what we did today at 034's dyno on strait 91 octane with w/m. it was a nice day today and temps were around 60f.

http://jhmotorsports.com/dynosheets/JHM_GT28_Tuned_S4_91_Octane+MI_Dan_505whp.JPG

we are still working on our race file so ill be going to the track tomorrow and see how it does on pump gas. so far so good, not too bad for a stock engine ;).

thanks again to 034 for the dyno pulls and having a pretty sick shop :).

AudiA4_20T
02-20-2009, 08:36 PM
nice but I'm not gonna lie i expected more

Dan@JHM
02-20-2009, 08:40 PM

haha on 91 octane? have you ever had cali 91 in your car before?

you also have to remember that this is a daily driver on a completely stock engine except for the rs4 cams, we could push more hp out of it on 91 but its not even worth it.

GURUMAN
02-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Nice man, on 91 octane, I think in the 510's would be the max since you still run the stock 9.3 CR

Boost is pretty high for 91 oct, this really proves the quality of your tune[up]

Don Supreme
02-20-2009, 08:52 PM

wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaattttttt?

Don Supreme
02-20-2009, 08:53 PM
haha on 91 octane? have you ever had cali 91 in your car before?

you also have to remember that this is a daily driver on a completely stock engine except for the rs4 cams, we could push more hp out of it on 91 but its not even worth it.

Great numbers man... Absolutely great on that 91 piss.

2ndEngineS4
02-20-2009, 08:54 PM

Spoken like someone who has never tried quality California gasolines. . .[:D]

Dan, nice job. Looking forward to the next track visit.

jaybquick@JHM
02-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Nice man, on 91 octane, I think in the 510's would be the max since you still run the stock 9.3 CR

Boost is pretty high for 91 oct, this really proves the quality of your tune[up]

Thanks boss. We generally have to push a little more boost since no matter what our cars won't take much timing safely with our gas. With our front mount the temps are able to be kept low.

And he has a 150k mile motor that is completely untouched including a bone stock intake manifold and throttle body. The only thing we did was stuff some RS4 intake cams in it. We are kind of hesitant about a serious race gas tune due to the stock motor. But who knows, we have been known to go BIG. [:D]

FrnkWhte
02-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Nice work..

jstdoit1112
02-20-2009, 10:26 PM
great job

MassS4B5
02-21-2009, 12:15 AM
fucking sick bro. i wish i bought piggies kit when it went up for sale. i truthfully never though i was gonna build my motor untill it happened. i am jealous and just want to drive a 3.0l. switching iterests from fast and ugly to slow and pretty.

Boris
02-21-2009, 12:30 AM

he's on 91 + meth ya? Is it more like a 94 octane fuel then?

Hey Dan, or JHM, how much more power do you think you could squeeze out if dan's engine had rods? Just wondering if you guys are keeping it extra conservative because that.

either way, great to see your progress! Thanks for sharing![drive]

02-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Dont forget people this is an not the GT28RS turbos. These are the smallest of the GT28 turbos

jibberjive
02-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Nice! I'm impressed.

Dont forget people this is an not the GT28RS turbos. These are the smallest of the GT28 turbos
GT2854's?

haus4
02-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Numbers look nice for what you have. Ive never had cali 91 in my car, since Im east coast but I've heard plenty of times how bad it is for performance. Im glad you got 500whp on a stock motor, but how long do you think it will last? One more question, how come the peak torque is lower and falls off so fast?

nthusiastt
02-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Numbers look nice for what you have. Ive never had cali 91 in my car, since Im east coast but I've heard plenty of times how bad it is for performance. Im glad you got 500whp on a stock motor, but how long do you think it will last? One more question, how come the peak torque is lower and falls off so fast?

Really depends on how it's driven. Watch your EGT's and don't take it to any track events and you should be fine.

AB18
02-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Awesome guys..500whp on a stock motor is the tits. Can't wait to see some track times.

vinny.dtw
02-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm impressed.

BastardS4
02-22-2009, 12:45 PM
he's on 91 + meth ya? Is it more like a 94 octane fuel then?

more like 100+ depending on the mix.

Calling it 500whp on pump gas when you are running meth is deceptive.

2ndEngineS4
02-22-2009, 01:37 PM

Look at the graph, it says "91 octane with Vast MI" very cleary. Where is the deception?

BastardS4
02-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Look at the graph, it says "91 octane with Vast MI" very cleary. Where is the deception?

Not accusing anyone here. I should have been more clear. Just a general statement. There have been a few people on here claiming big numbers and then either putting the fact they were running meth to get there in the very fine print, or forgetting to mention it at all.

Boris
02-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Shoot, Ive got to get a setup then, I really didnt think it boosted the octane rating that high.

Europowerhaus
02-22-2009, 06:07 PM
I thought the turbos being used were Vasts previous turbos, 28rs's, go with cho' bad sef JHM...I liiiike

Renegades
02-23-2009, 06:55 AM

The deception is where people are saying its "pump" not the graph itself... Everyone on here is saying oh nice numbers, great for 91 cali gas, it'll be waaay more on 93, etc... And then guys read that and think, oh if I get this and run 93 i'll have even more than 500awhp... When in reality yes, but not THAT much more, since the 91 is being boosted up by the Meth.

And by the way, methanol is like 110 octane I believe. So 110 + 91 = averages out.... So it's like running race gas. [;)]

Alcohol is like 100-105 octane. Meth > Alcohol.

PinoyS4
02-23-2009, 08:24 AM
The deception is where people are saying its "pump" not the graph itself... Everyone on here is saying oh nice numbers, great for 91 cali gas, it'll be waaay more on 93, etc... And then guys read that and think, oh if I get this and run 93 i'll have even more than 500awhp... When in reality yes, but not THAT much more, since the 91 is being boosted up by the Meth.

And by the way, methanol is like 110 octane I believe. So 110 + 91 = averages out.... So it's like running race gas. [;)]

Alcohol is like 100-105 octane. Meth > Alcohol.

see, race gas to me is c16 and there is no way 91 plus meth is like running race gas[;)] just my experience[up]

veggiemonster
02-23-2009, 09:00 AM
pure methanol, aka q16 is 114 octane

joemomma
02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
We have some videos of some burnouts I did while he was away. (he begged me for some footage of his car). HEHE.

We will try to shoot some more when we get a chance.

Hey jay i saw those burnout vids gettin a litlle in rpms huh??? haha

pit viper
02-23-2009, 12:04 PM
pure methanol, aka q16 is 114 octane

Q16 is a VP race fuel, similar to C16 but more oxegenated. It is not methanol.
Methanol's octane is around 115 if I remember right. However, unless you're in a race application, no one is running enough methanol in a water/meth type system to increase 91 octane to equal 100 octane.

You'd have to be running pure methanol, and using a lot of nozzles (too big and it wouldn't atomize or flow well).

Renegades
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
see, race gas to me is c16 and there is no way 91 plus meth is like running race gas[;)] just my experience[up]

C16 is the highest rated race gas people run, that isn't THE NORM. You do know that race gas files for most stage 3 applications are for 100-104 octane, and some up to 109, or occasionally 116.... Unless the car had a file FOR 116, you're never going to gain much running C16 on a 104 or 109 file, I hope you understand this. And cranking up the boost and running race gas, without adjusting the timing for it, doesn't always help as much as people think... So if race gas to you is C16, what are the "race" files for 100, 104, or 109 octane applications??? So far I don't know that i've seen anyone with a C16 race file... But I could be wrong..

Race gas is generally noted as anything rated 100 or higher... I think most will agree on this. Either way, that car is not on "straight 91 pump gas" as some guys were believing. So the "it'd yield even higher gains on straight 93 pump gas" comments aren't really true. Straight 93 would probably yield lower numbers since the meth more than likely pumps the octane of the 91 up over 93 i'm sure.

Who knows, either way, they're solid numbers, but certainly not straight 91 craptane numbers. I have seen GT28 cars run 500awhp+ on 93 octane though, in those cars' defense... You just need to be careful at that point, it's starting to push the limits i've been told.

2ndEngineS4
02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
C16 is the highest rated race gas people run, that isn't THE NORM. You do know that race gas files for most stage 3 applications are for 100-104 octane, and some up to 109, or occasionally 116.... Unless the car had a file FOR 116, you're never going to gain much running C16 on a 104 or 109 file, I hope you understand this. And cranking up the boost and running race gas, without adjusting the timing for it, doesn't always help as much as people think...

We do adjust timing for C16. JHM track support is the shizzle. Relax, dude, we got it covered, timing, cf's, blah blah blah. [:D] JHM is consistently making the fastest B5 (and now B6) cars in the country for a reason. Soon enough we'll be coming to a town near you. . .[drive]

GURUMAN
02-23-2009, 05:28 PM
We do adjust timing for C16. JHM track support is the shizzle. Relax, dude, we got it covered, timing, cf's, blah blah blah. [:D] JHM is consistently making the fastest B5 (and now B6) cars in the country for a reason. Soon enough we'll be coming to a town near you. . .[drive]

Migh have a little competition this summer from a little local Montreal shop called ROMBOTIS TUNING [up]Tho we might no come to a place near ya... just too many miles seperates us...[:D]

Renegades
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM

Start tuning 996 Turbos and your market will explode. EPL and a few other similar companies have tapped into that market and it's huge, lots of money in that sector. If you guys can come out with some crazy tunes, the guys will eat them up. [:D]

Boris
02-23-2009, 08:16 PM
ok enough about race fuel and meth, what did the car do at the track!?

jaybquick@JHM
02-23-2009, 10:20 PM

Well. LIke Dan predicted 3rd was so very tough to shift at the higher RPM that the collar got mushroomed after a couple passes and NO MORE 4th. So needless to say the couple runs were pathetic.

It is probably a good thing since his poor 150k mile stock rods were probably on borrowed time. So we will be pulling the motor as soon as we get my car back together with its RS6 turbos. After that we will slap some rods in his motor, maybe some 2.8l heads and then fix his trans and see what she can do.

2ndEngineS4
02-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Fook. When did a tranny rebuild turn into that plus rods and a head job? You guys move quick.

btw. .ask Dan if he can let me hold a couple of dollars until next payday. ha ha.

PinoyS4
02-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Fook. When did a tranny rebuild turn into that plus rods and a head job? You guys move quick.

btw. .ask Dan if he can let me hold a couple of dollars until next payday. ha ha.

i got some for you[:D] you just have to come down from bumfuck nowhere to come get it. he he[;)]

mike-2ptzero
02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Q16 is a VP race fuel, similar to C16 but more oxegenated. It is not methanol.
Methanol's octane is around 115 if I remember right. However, unless you're in a race application, no one is running enough methanol in a water/meth type system to increase 91 octane to equal 100 octane.

You'd have to be running pure methanol, and using a lot of nozzles (too big and it wouldn't atomize or flow well).

Well the fact that injection also reduces IAT's along with increasing the octane level of the fuel being burned it is pretty much equal to about 98-100 octane. Seems that you are forgetting about the fact of the reduced IAT's and just focused on the "octane".

Saying pump just because there is pump gas in the "tank" doesn't mean the car is actually burning "Pump" rated fuel. So if the car is running Meth injection it is pretty pointless to even mention the word PUMP when talking about fuel.

I am guessing you missed the fact that is not burning 91 octane.

Jason - are any of you guys going to be running at CMI next weekend?

sean1.8t
02-24-2009, 01:16 PM

whatever the true octane rating is for pure meth is, hardly anyone runs strait meth. it's very dangerous.

Dan@JHM
02-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I thought the turbos being used were Vasts previous turbos, 28rs's, go with cho' bad sef JHM...I liiiike

yes they are vast's previous turbos but they are not the 28rs's, they are the 28r's.

Dan@JHM
02-24-2009, 03:11 PM
As far as water/meth injection goes i run ~a 50/50 mix. im not an expert on how much water/meth injection increases octane levels or if you see more of a difference with our cali 91 or east coast 93 but i know when i use it with 91 its definatly not like dumping out all of my 91 and putting 100 in the tank. yes it does cool down the intake charge and increase octane(not sure how much) that intern will increase the amount of timing you can run but will it be as much timing as i could run with pure 100 in, no.

so like we have been saying, those numbers are on cali 91 pump with water/meth injection.

sCeRaXn
02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Damn man sorry about the bad luck. Its always like that, though. As soon as you think youre done BOOM...something else to fix lol

I dont understand why everyones getting all bitchy about him running pump and meth. Its not like theyre trying to hide the fact that they have meth on the car. Who cares if some other people have said that theyre running on pump...anyone that reads this thread will see that theyre running pump AND meth. Typically, i listen to the person who actually did it...not somebody whos talking about what they did.

mike-2ptzero
02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
As far as water/meth injection goes i run ~a 50/50 mix. im not an expert on how much water/meth injection increases octane levels or if you see more of a difference with our cali 91 or east coast 93 but i know when i use it with 91 its definatly not like dumping out all of my 91 and putting 100 in the tank. yes it does cool down the intake charge and increase octane(not sure how much) that intern will increase the amount of timing you can run but will it be as much timing as i could run with pure 100 in, no.

so like we have been saying, those numbers are on cali 91 pump with water/meth injection.

Yeah it might be closer to 95-96 octane, 93 with Water/meth injection would be closer to 100.

GURUMAN
02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah it might be closer to 95-96 octane, 93 with Water/meth injection would be closer to 100.

I missed the meth part on the graph...[:d]

But anyways it's very good numbers on a stock block...

mike-2ptzero
02-24-2009, 05:57 PM
I missed the meth part on the graph...[:d]

But anyways it's very good numbers on a stock block...

Well isn't the stock block good for about 550-600whp?

02-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Well isn't the stock block good for about 550-600whp?

According to the engineers at Mahle/Cosworth who I used to get to talk with when I was working for STaSIS. 600hp at the crank is on the fine line.

panix73
02-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Sick, great job guys! Keep up the good work and glad to see you're finally back around Dan!

A4 TSCHUSS
02-24-2009, 06:34 PM
I run 93 and meth in my car. On my last turbo (gtrs) With 100 octane (no meth) I could run full timing with my revo software which was 12 degrees (yes I know that isnt alot compared to others) and 25psi.

With 93 and meth injection I could run 12 degrees of timing again but only like 21-22psi.

So 93 and meth is less than 100 octane. Especially considering that most people arent actually running meth, but some kind of mix of water and Heet (water remover which is methanol) or washer fluid that has methanol in it.

Dan@JHM
02-24-2009, 06:35 PM

what up mike! we wont be able to make it to the cmi since jason is going out of town this weekend and i have duty :(.

GURUMAN
02-24-2009, 07:08 PM

Looks like a R32 TB to me ?

pit viper
02-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Well the fact that injection also reduces IAT's along with increasing the octane level of the fuel being burned it is pretty much equal to about 98-100 octane. Seems that you are forgetting about the fact of the reduced IAT's and just focused on the "octane".

Saying pump just because there is pump gas in the "tank" doesn't mean the car is actually burning "Pump" rated fuel. So if the car is running Meth injection it is pretty pointless to even mention the word PUMP when talking about fuel.

Have you ever done logged comparisons with and without water/meth injection on 91 octane? I'm not trying to get off-topic here, but I think there's some misconceptions here. First off, if you're running decent intercoolers, they drop your IAT's back down considerably to begin with. Yes, the water injection helps, but with both octane increase and reduced IAT's, it's still nowhere near where you seem to think it is.

Dan@JHM
02-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Looks like a R32 TB to me ?

i first tried to "spturks manifold" with the rs6 throttle body but took it off after a week to put my stock manifold and apr bipipe back on.

GURUMAN
02-24-2009, 08:18 PM
i first tried to "spturks manifold" with the rs6 throttle body but took it off after a week to put my stock manifold and apr bipipe back on.

I didnt work out ?

I was going to build my own manifold, but I decided to stay with my Rs4

michael66899
02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Damn Guru I really wanted to see what you were going to come up with for a manifold, oh well. I will be building an S4 in the future and have some 2.8 heads in the garage that I'll be using, and I may build a manifold from top to bottom and do some math for optimal runner length and plenum size. I have all the tools to do so, I'm on the formula SAE team at my school and just finished a top to bottom carbon fiber intake for our formula car, so don't worry I know what I'm doing. Sorry to get off topic but ya why didn't the "Spturks" set up work, I would have figured with a bigger TB and a little more plenum size you would have seen some gains, no? Other than that love the car, can't wait to see it finished, I just can't get over the sound of that thing. [o_o] More videos please!!

GURUMAN
02-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Damn Guru I really wanted to see what you were going to come up with for a manifold, oh well. I will be building an S4 in the future and have some 2.8 heads in the garage that I'll be using, and I may build a manifold from top to bottom and do some math for optimal runner length and plenum size. I have all the tools to do so, I'm on the formula SAE team at my school and just finished a top to bottom carbon fiber intake for our formula car, so don't worry I know what I'm doing. Sorry to get off topic but ya why didn't the "Spturks" set up work, I would have figured with a bigger TB and a little more plenum size you would have seen some gains, no? Other than that love the car, can't wait to see it finished, I just can't get over the sound of that thing. [o_o] More videos please!!

It's still par of my plans, but not for the rebuild, I will probably build one from skratch in my spare spring time. My Block is getting finished an all machined, studded and girdiled... this week.

Boris
02-25-2009, 01:35 AM
It's still par of my plans, but not for the rebuild, I will probably build one from skratch in my spare spring time. My Block is getting finished an all machined, studded and girdiled... this week.

what about a slightly bigger Y pipe than the RS4.. theres gains from a bigger intake manifold as ASP has proven and the Rs4 has a bigger intake mani etc.

But why not have a slightly bigger Y pipe, and bigger inlet piping?

What do you think? The Rs4 Y pipe is bigger, and it seems there might be some bottlenecking going on right in the center of the Y, where it splits, under full load in higher boost.

What do you think? If you made a decent priced one I think you could sell alot of them.

GURUMAN
02-25-2009, 05:20 AM
what about a slightly bigger Y pipe than the RS4.. theres gains from a bigger intake manifold as ASP has proven and the Rs4 has a bigger intake mani etc.

But why not have a slightly bigger Y pipe, and bigger inlet piping?

What do you think? The Rs4 Y pipe is bigger, and it seems there might be some bottlenecking going on right in the center of the Y, where it splits, under full load in higher boost.

What do you think? If you made a decent priced one I think you could sell alot of them.

For my setup the Famous Y pipe will be gone, I opted with a single 90 degree elbow.

Intercooler type will be 2 in 1 out...

mike-2ptzero
02-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Have you ever done logged comparisons with and without water/meth injection on 91 octane? I'm not trying to get off-topic here, but I think there's some misconceptions here. First off, if you're running decent intercoolers, they drop your IAT's back down considerably to begin with. Yes, the water injection helps, but with both octane increase and reduced IAT's, it's still nowhere near where you seem to think it is.

I have not myself because my car is tuned for straight 110 octane or Q16, but I know plenty of guys that have. I even know guys that run 93 + water/meth injection on 100 octane programs and say the car makes nearly the same power as it does running straight 100 octane.

At the 034 dyno day there were 2 S4 guys there that run water/meth injection. One wasn't running it that day because it was not working and said he really wished he was because it makes a huge difference since he can run way more boost. One of those cars was tuned by JHM.

Have to understand that meth does in fact increase octane just like if you were to just mix it right into the fuel in the tank. The water/meth also decrease the IAT's over what the FMIC/SMIC already does, so this means the ecu can run more timing not just because the octane level is higher but because the IAT's are also lower. The only down side to water/meth vs mixing in race fuel or running straight race fuel is the fact that the water/meth can cause wash down of the cylinder walls.

what up mike! we wont be able to make it to the cmi since jason is going out of town this weekend and i have duty :(.

That sucks, maybe the next CMI event in April.

pit viper
02-25-2009, 09:59 AM
I have not myself because my car is tuned for straight 110 octane or Q16, but I know plenty of guys that have. I even know guys that run 93 + water/meth injection on 100 octane programs and say the car makes nearly the same power as it does running straight 100 octane.

At the 034 dyno day there were 2 S4 guys there that run water/meth injection. One wasn't running it that day because it was not working and said he really wished he was because it makes a huge difference since he can run way more boost. One of those cars was tuned by JHM.

Have to understand that meth does in fact increase octane just like if you were to just mix it right into the fuel in the tank. The water/meth also decrease the IAT's over what the FMIC/SMIC already does, so this means the ecu can run more timing not just because the octane level is higher but because the IAT's are also lower. The only down side to water/meth vs mixing in race fuel or running straight race fuel is the fact that the water/meth can cause wash down of the cylinder walls.

For what it's worth, 93 octane is a world difference over 91, moreso than the numbers would seem to suggest. I miss 93 octane. [=(]
Also, if your water/meth washes down the cylinder wall, you're running WAY too much, as it's coming out of suspension.

Anyway, here is what I have found with water/meth injection. Results are from my SRT-4, with various T3/T4 turbos, and running an Aquamist HFS-5 system.
With 91 pump and a 50/50 mix of water/meth, I could push 20 psi of boost with the timing at 24 degrees btdc, getting 389 whp. I'd usually get 1 degree of knock timing retard or less.
With 100 octane, I can run 24 psi of boost with my timing at 28 btdc, with no knock timing retard at all, getting around 455 whp.

mike-2ptzero
02-25-2009, 10:12 AM
For what it's worth, 93 octane is a world difference over 91, moreso than the numbers would seem to suggest. I miss 93 octane. [=(]
Also, if your water/meth washes down the cylinder wall, you're running WAY too much, as it's coming out of suspension.

Anyway, here is what I have found with water/meth injection. Results are from my SRT-4, with various T3/T4 turbos, and running an Aquamist HFS-5 system.
With 91 pump and a 50/50 mix of water/meth, I could push 20 psi of boost with the timing at 24 degrees btdc, getting 389 whp. I'd usually get 1 degree of knock timing retard or less.
With 100 octane, I can run 24 psi of boost with my timing at 28 btdc, with no knock timing retard at all, getting around 455 whp.

Yes I know there is a huge difference between CA 91 and 93, CA 91 is basically equal to 87 octane used everywhere else in this country. I just had a fully built B6 with a 2 liter GT3076r tuned on 91 and 93. Running the same amount of boost the 91 tune made 365whp while the 93 tune made 426.

But as we can all agree on is the fact that W/M injection used with 91 means it is no longer 91.

I no longer run pump gas in my A4 but then it does make 630awhp with just 4 cylinders.[:D]

dougyfresh
02-25-2009, 11:02 AM

Most likely due to the smaller 28 variant turbos chosen (GT28R).

Great numbers Dan. Best of luck with the trans rebuild. Looking forward to seeing what you guys do with that engine. Thanks for your time in the military! [up]

jaybquick@JHM
02-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Most likely due to the smaller 28 variant turbos chosen (GT28R).

Great numbers Dan. Best of luck with the trans rebuild. Looking forward to seeing what you guys do with that engine. Thanks for your time in the military! [up]

Yup and the stock heads aren't helping it breath up top either, nor is the stock intake manifold and throttle body.

S4_NE
07-07-2009, 10:47 AM
any updates??

wdbdy2000s4
07-07-2009, 01:38 PM
any updates??

have you noticed half the threads in the build section are dead or cars that area gone? lol

S4_NE
07-08-2009, 09:30 AM
have you noticed half the threads in the build section are dead or cars that area gone? lol

yea i did after i posted lol dar dar on me lol [headbang]

sean1.8t
07-09-2009, 11:37 PM
for some reason all JHM cares about is the 4.2 now [confused]

mike-2ptzero
07-10-2009, 05:26 AM
for some reason all JHM cares about is the 4.2 now [confused]

They still personally own B5 S4's, just don't have as much time as they want to work on them.

BTW its called moving with the market and all shops do it since they have to sell parts to stay in business.

Matt@JHM
07-10-2009, 05:07 PM
They still personally own B5 S4's, just don't have as much time as they want to work on them.

BTW its called moving with the market and all shops do it since they have to sell parts to stay in business.

Yep. Plus Dan's 3-4 colar went out... Once fall comes around and we start hitting the track hard we may resurrect the beast.

Dan@JHM
07-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Yep. Plus Dan's 3-4 colar went out... Once fall comes around and we start hitting the track hard we may resurrect the beast.

Correction, the beast will be getting resurrected.

I will be starting the dissasembly next week sometime since i will be using a few parts off of it for my a6 tranny swap. But since i need to pull the tranny with the engine to rebuild it i will be rebuilding the engine as well since im already pushing the limits. I have pretty much hit a wall with the stock intake mani and heads so i will be going with a build up like jason's s4.

rods/pistons
2.8L heads with select parts to rev past 8k safely
EDIT: rs4 intake mani
changing diameter of header mid-pipe to help with spool

those are the basics for now, ill post up some pics when i start taking it apart again.

jibberjive
07-11-2009, 04:29 AM
rs6 intake mani

RS4 intake mani??

mike-2ptzero
07-11-2009, 05:32 AM
Hey Dan/Matt, any of you guys going to Sac next weekend for CMI?

Dan@JHM
07-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey Dan/Matt, any of you guys going to Sac next weekend for CMI?

I might have to go if your going mike, im doing an auto-x event in stockton on saturday but ill try to make it out to the track as well.

mike-2ptzero
07-11-2009, 03:26 PM
I might have to go if your going mike, im doing an auto-x event in stockton on saturday but ill try to make it out to the track as well.

I will let you know Dan, for some reason my clutch pedal dropped to the floor on a run at Fontana while pulling a 1.54 60 ft with the new hoosier tires.

TweetsS4Estate
03-10-2010, 11:05 PM
bump