PDA

View Full Version : help me find this short!

stilldubbin203
02-20-2008, 03:40 PM
ok so i know a couple other people have done this and as far as i know are yet to figure it out. I was installing my center vent boost gauge (about 6 months ago) and decided to wire it into the vent dials, not knowing that they run at a lower voltage. Well in any case the wires crossed and shorted something out and now i dont have any center console lights, vent dials and my climate control is very dim. I ran vag-com on my car the other day and for the first time noticed it said "shorted b+"..or something to that effect. Does anyone have any clue where this short can be or have a wiring diagram, or kno where i can start looking that doesnt require ripping the dash out.

Poopie
02-20-2008, 03:48 PM
check your fuses.

stilldubbin203
02-20-2008, 03:53 PM
they r all good..i got so frustrated i ohmed every one out

Poopie
02-20-2008, 03:59 PM
double check fuse 14 and 15 for me. Are there any other lights out?

stilldubbin203
02-20-2008, 04:04 PM
ok i will check...the illumination for the buttons for the fog lights, the cupholder, the cigarette lighter, and the vent dials are out. and the climate control is dim. there is a plug inside the duct for the center vent that has 2 wires that run to the dials, rite now i have them directly spliced together with no bulbs in between. I am assuming this whole electrical circuit is run in series.

Poopie
02-20-2008, 04:07 PM
now i have them directly spliced together with no bulbs in between..

why did you do this? i think this is your short right here....how did you wire this part?

stilldubbin203
02-20-2008, 04:12 PM
this cant be my short, it is wired the same as with the bulbs just w/out them...instead of the bulbs acting like a switch now it is just a straight circuit...plus it didnt work before i did this....my reason was because one of the bulbs was blown and not passing the electricity through it....if it was parallel this would not have mattered but because it is ran in series it obviously does

Poopie
02-20-2008, 04:30 PM
series with what? Which bulb is blown? The one in the center vent? The center vent lights run 12v+. Yes, some related lights may be run in series, but for the most part, almost everything is run in parallel of a common power source or fuse.

stilldubbin203
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
what i can see it a wire comin up to the center vent...going into 1 bulb, out of it, into another bulb, and bacl down the vent...i just eliminated the bulbs. Whether or not they are in series with anything else, i dont know. But if i shorted their wires out why would everything else stop working, the only thing i can think of is like you said they are all powered through a common fuse. but which one if none on the side panel r blow...is there something possibly under the knee board.

Poopie
02-20-2008, 04:37 PM
did you physically pull the fuses to look or did you just use an ohm meter?

stilldubbin203
02-20-2008, 04:40 PM
i pulled them and ohmed them out....also if they were bad wouldnt other stuff stop working...i dont believe theres a fuse that protects just those is there.

Poopie
02-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I just looked at the wiring diagram. The center vent lights are all wired in parallel.

stilldubbin203
02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
ok....do you know what common location they tie into

Poopie
02-20-2008, 04:45 PM
brown wire on instrument panel ground connection 1

the postive is tied into the instument control module.

stilldubbin203
02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
damn...and im assuming thats behind the dash...and maybe thats fried

Poopie
02-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Could be...so you connected the green/blue wire to the brown wire right? That is a short so cut that connection and work from there. You should pick up a haynes manual from pepboys. Its like $15 bucks. I bought mine just for the wiring diagrams.

stilldubbin203
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
rite now i have the 2 wires that go to the center vent dials conected together, thats it, i thought they were red and black but maybe not..so even if i shorted these it should not affect the other lights cuz they are all parallel, the only possibility is that i shorted the main source of power which is the control module

Poopie
02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
With the green/blue wire connected to the brown NONE of the lights SHOULD illuminated since all power will run through the short circuit. With this information you can use that to help find your short. Since the other lights do illuminate then the issues might be with those two wires.