PDA

View Full Version : Carbonio CEL

sixfiveoh
02-19-2008, 07:36 PM
So after installing the Carbonio V2, my car came up with a CEL, and it's sputtering at idle. This is the code I threw:

16486/P0102/000258 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) (G70): Signal too Low
Possible Symptoms

* Probably no serious malfunctions
* Loss of power

Possible Causes

* Wiring and/or connections (short circuit?)
* Mass Air Flow (MAF) (G70) defective

Possible Solutions

* Check wiring and connections
* Check / Replace Mass Air Flow (MAF) (G70)

I'm not sure what I should be checking specifically for. Any help?

ILoveT
02-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Make sure you everything is hooked up tightly and that your MAF doesn't have crap on it. That's my advice.

fred2ka4
02-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Did you install the MAF the right way? You might have installed it backwards.

20vpower
02-19-2008, 08:20 PM
it also may have just come up because you d/c it, clear it and see if it comes back

sixfiveoh
02-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Well I guess I should have included the fact that I royally fucked up on the install. But I still don't see anything wrong with the MAF.

http://sixfiveohphoto.com/images/IMG_7412.jpg

Here's a picture of my ghetto fabbed setup. When I was taking apart the stock intake, I couldn't get the damn MAF connector off, I tried and tried, and ended up snapping the thing that clicks it into place, so the zipties are holding it, and I ripped out the green wire that I circled in black by accident. I plugged that thing back in, so I don't think that's the problem. Also, the pipe and the hole circled in red are supposed to be connected by a little pipe thing that didn't come with the used intake I bought, but the guy I bought it from said Carbonio told him it was fine to run the intake like that, plus I don't think it would bring up a CEL like this. I was really trying to rush this install and it really shows.

ROFL. Wait, the MAF is on backwards...

Nebone
02-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Theres your problem. You ripped a wire out and didn't think it would affect anything. Unplug the MAF and see if its running just as crappy. You need to fix that wire.

sixfiveoh
02-19-2008, 09:28 PM
The wire is back in there pretty snug... isn't that MAF on backwards in the pic? It's not really running all that crappy, only when I come back down to an idle, it does a quick little flutter and then it's fine.

Nebone
02-19-2008, 09:44 PM
The MAF has a direction arrow which should be pointing in the direction of air flow.

sixfiveoh
02-19-2008, 09:45 PM
The MAF has a direction arrow which should be pointing in the direction of air flow.

Something I just discovered, I'm going out to check that right now. God I will feel like such a dumbass if it's on backwards [rolleyes]

Nebone
02-19-2008, 09:58 PM
If it ends up being that, have this thread deleted to avoid harsh embarrassment.

j/p I've heard of this happening, its probably caused by people rushing to get it on to hear the pssthssss

sixfiveoh
02-19-2008, 10:23 PM
It's definitely that green wire, it was out when I checked on it again, I plugged it back in while the car was running and it started sputtering, then evened out. Let it get used to it for like 5 minutes, then went on a drive. No more sputtering at idle. But I still have a CEL. Turned off the car and turned it on again, tried clearing it with vagcom... still there. Maybe my version isn't new enough? Also, how can I make sure the wire is secure in the connector? I feel like it could just come loose at any time again...

Nebone
02-19-2008, 10:34 PM
man....

The wire is crimped to a connector which slides into the plastic plug and locks in. The crimp looks like this and yours ripped out of it. You need to either solder it or get a new crimp.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/images/dis/3052/600/3052.jpg

You should also put a small filter you can get from Autozone or such and put on that hose that goes to the secondary injection.

sixfiveoh
02-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Well, I just drove it around again, and it SEEMS to be normal, but that damn CEL won't go away. How would I get the old crimp out of the plug? Clearing the codes isn't seeming to work with my VAGCOM for some reason. Maybe I should just take it to a shop and have them resolder it?

fred2ka4
02-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, I just drove it around again, and it SEEMS to be normal, but that damn CEL won't go away. How would I get the old crimp out of the plug? Clearing the codes isn't seeming to work with my VAGCOM for some reason. Maybe I should just take it to a shop and have them resolder it?

Unplug your battery (negative side) for about 30 minutes and then when you start the car, don't touch the gas for 5 minutes. That should clear it.

speedydragon
02-19-2008, 10:57 PM
nice! did you get your carbonio used? I installed my carbonio not too long ago, and it was a bitch! :|

sixfiveoh
02-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I got it last night, I never thought installing an intake would be such a pain in the ass. It sounds damn good though, but god I'd like to get rid of that annoying ass CEL [:(]

fred2ka4
02-19-2008, 11:15 PM
... but god I'd like to get rid of that annoying ass CEL [:(]

Unplug your battery (negative side) for about 30 minutes and then when you start the car, don't touch the gas for 5 minutes. That should clear it.

sixfiveoh
02-19-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm about 20 minutes into it right now. 30 minutes, though? Really?

fred2ka4
02-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm about 20 minutes into it right now. 30 minutes, though? Really?

Yeah, and make sure not to touch the gas for 5 minutes while the car is idling.

You'll have to reset all your presets, clock and windows. I usually do that while the car is going through it's 5 minute diagnostic mode.

sixfiveoh
02-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Awesome, that did it. I wonder why my vagcom didn't clear it? I guess I'll try and solder that wire in there tomorrow, but for now, I'm happy [:D]

fred2ka4
02-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Do you know how to reset your one touch windows?

sixfiveoh
02-19-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't know the "official" way, but rolling them up and down a bunch usually does the trick. What's the real way to do it?

fred2ka4
02-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Just make sure that all the windows are all the way up, then roll it all the way down w/o stopping and all the way back up w/o stopping and they should be reset. You should only have to do it one time per window.

Same with the sunroof.

sixfiveoh
02-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Well, the CEL came back this morning when I started my car. I just checked that wire again, it looks like it's in, but maybe it's not making a connection. I'm gonna take it apart and try to solder it in a little later in the afternoon, that wire not making a connection would cause this type of CEL, correct?

sixfiveoh
02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
How should I go about getting the old crimp out of the plug?

Ewok_Fetus
02-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Haha, I bet you will find that your A/C doesn't work either... If that is correct, then yes... It is the green wire fubaring you... But honestly, on 2001's, even if that was unplugged, you should be running weird... Should stay the same...

sixfiveoh
02-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Haha, I bet you will find that your A/C doesn't work either... If that is correct, then yes... It is the green wire fubaring you... But honestly, on 2001's, even if that was unplugged, you should be running weird... Should stay the same...

Last night when the wire was unplugged it started pouring and I was using my defroster and it seemed cold as always and fine. So if when I plug all this back together it still gives me the same idling bs, what would be the next thing to check for? Dirty MAF? It seemed clean enough to me...

fred2ka4
02-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Did you double check to make sure the MAF is installed in the right direction?

sixfiveoh
02-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Yeah, the arrow was pointing in the direction that the air would come through the intake. As in, pointing away from the filter. Now that ewok mentioned it, my A/C really isn't blowing ice cold at all, seems like it's just the fan. When I reset my car to clear the CEL, would it have cleared it if there still was one? If you know what I mean. Does it just clear everything and take a while to register again, or was it truly fixed and the wire came loose again over night?

sixfiveoh
02-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Ok, so we just soldered some new wire onto the short ass green one and stuffed it way down into the plug, so it's definitely making contact. I'm going to need a new plug because plastic is cracking off of it everywhere so I didn't even bother soldering it to a new crimp. When we started the car up, it was idling crazy as hell and then evened out, let it sit for 5 minutes, drove it around again and it seemed to idle normal. The A/C is ice cold again. CEL was still there, so right now it's sitting with the battery unplugged, and hopefully that will solve it. If not, idk what I'll do. As far as I know, everything else is on right.

sixfiveoh
02-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Fixed, thanks guys [up]