PDA

View Full Version : Made a boost leak tester, With test results

Grangalan
02-18-2008, 07:22 AM
I just built a pretty nifty boost leak tester and i am waiting on the silicone to cure before i put it to use.

Last night we were argueing if we had to cap off the IC pipe connected to the TB. Or can we pressurize the entire system? Arguement was that air will escape thru the cylinders into the exhaust thus not being able to do the test. Simple question, True or False?

And here is my nifty tester! 2" pvc elbow, cap, some clear RTV to seal everything. Then drilled a hole in the cap and fitted a valve stem with a generous amount of RTV silicone. A little paint for "just a little less ghetto" effect

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7015/img00226ws4.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6944/img00229na3.jpg

Test results are as follows. The second i pressurized the system you could see the leak. Its the L shaped tube that goes from the IM from the TB to the rear of the valve cover. HUGHE cut in it. Once i fixed that with some reinforced tubing i tested again and low and behold, the coupling by the Intercooler was spewing out air.

Once i fixed those two it holds pressure just fine, not a single leak. And HOLY crap. Now it goes to 18 psi and STAYS there, where with the leaks it would go to 13ish and drop to 8, then stay there. Surprising what boost leaks can cause hehe.

Large slice in pipe, made LOUD hissing noise lol

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1022/img00231tz8.jpg

New reinforced hose
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6055/img00230dh5.jpg

dubiraq05
02-18-2008, 07:25 AM
i built mine for $1.33 lol works great!

Grangalan
02-18-2008, 07:32 AM
did you cap off your TB charge pipe? or did you pressurize your intake manifold as well

audiFUEGO
02-18-2008, 08:50 AM
You can pressurize your intake mani. A little pressure will escape thru your cylinders, but not much. Therefore you will need to keep re-pressurizing every so often.

Pressurizing the IM will help you find leaks in your network of vac lines under the thing. Make sure you block off the pancake valve tho. Or you will be charging your PCV system which is not what you want to do.

Grangalan
02-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks fuego, my girls gramps was trying to tell me if i pressurize the mani all the air will escape wia the exhaust valve *scratches head*

oh and i only block the Hole on the TIP for the pankcake valve right? i dont have to plug the other side as well?

Grangalan
02-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Boost leaks fixed, my tool worked AMAZING lol. Woohoo holy crap does it pull a lot harder now

bronz
02-18-2008, 02:02 PM
i had the same problem :D the replacement one at the dealership is alot thicker and stronger

GTAnimal
02-18-2008, 02:39 PM
what did u pressurize it to pressure wise? also what did u use to pressurirze it? bike pump? air compressor? I made a tester too a while ago but forgot about it. what is a safe pressure to go up to while testing it? about 10 psi? thanks

audiFUEGO
02-18-2008, 03:37 PM
10 psi should be a good amount... then slowly take it up to 14-15 if you want.

Alan its good that you found that hole. I had the same one a long time ago. Some advice: keep looking for leaks because chances are you'll find some more.

ILoveT
02-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Lol you should have checked that before spending a fortune on that boost leak tester! Haha... That really is a common leaking area.

Grangalan
02-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Lol you should have checked that before spending a fortune on that boost leak tester! Haha... That really is a common leaking area.

Fortune? if you call 4 bucks and some change a fortune SURE! lol

Fuego. After we got a new hose and tightened the IC pipe i didnt hear any more hissing. We went with a stethoscope all around all the IC couplers, Vac lines and so on. That hose that ripped was one of the very few ones that i hadnt replaced,previously. we put it at 14 psi with very VERY minute leakage after we fixed it. It lost 1 psi in 10 seconds so im figuring thats from pressurinzing the manifold as you mentioned.

ILoveT
02-18-2008, 06:06 PM
It was a joke.