PDA

View Full Version : I need your speakers!

Jared71482
02-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Yea, wrong section... but no one checks the WTB section!

Looking for a pair of good front speakers... preferrably NOT bose.

Oh, pre-facelift too.

Thanks!

kingtr
02-18-2008, 01:39 AM
You really want someones crappy used OEM speakers? Why may I ask? The bose ones suck (which you said you dont want) and the non-bose suck worse. Why not go pick up a semi decent set of 5.25" speakers for 50-75 bucks?

Jared71482
02-18-2008, 03:19 AM
the OE speakers are a direct fit... fronts are not 5.25... they're 4" with a strange mounting pattern.

Not looking to win a SQ competition, just get a working stereo in the car.

The bose and non bose speakers are almost identical... people just normally tack a much higher price tag on the bose speakers because of the stupid name.

kingtr
02-18-2008, 03:36 AM
Not to be rude, but I fully understand what size speakers the car comes with and the triangular mounting bracket. I have replaced front speakers with 5.25" speakers in THREE B5 A4s. 2 Bose system, one non-bose (all three either 2000 or 2001).

I would not say they are nearly identical, but yes, they both suck.

Having cleared that up (that I know exactly what the stock bose and non-bose speakers look like and how they mount), I again say, go find a decent set of 5.25" speakers and put them in there. I have many posts about this on AW, and would be happy to clarify how I mounted them should you be unable to find my posts. Alias there is 'kingtr fxk04.' Other variants are/were 'moneypit Ko4'd 1.8t" and just plain "kingtr".

Actually here is a pic and diagram.

Pic is rough idea, use washers to secure speaker in place using existing triangular mounts.

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/91268/img_0027.jpg

And diagram: Pretty self explanatory esp with the above pic. Red circles are OE mounting holes, still used, squares are the standard square mounting tabs on 5.25" speakers.
http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/91268/speaker.jpg

The washers keep it in place nice and snug. I replaced my fronts 14 months ago using this method, no problems, just replaced my little bro's front (non-bose) speakers a month ago using same method. Pay attention to Ohms obviously. The ones I put in with my bose system are actually wrong ohms (4 instead of 2), but they have worked just fine and everything sounds balanced. I figured I'd have to play with the fader to balance it out, but didnt.

There is one obvious thing I overlooked, and that is that your car is pre-facelift. Does your car use the same "strange mounting pattern" as mine or different? I would assume the same, but you never know. Either way, it wouldnt be tough to make 5.25"ers fit even if the holes didn't line up almost perfect.

Jared71482
02-18-2008, 05:25 AM
these are for my 96, different speakers... different mount (compared to 00 & 01 models)

its very simple to mount speakers like that, but being there is nothing seperating the front from the rear of the speaker, the sound will suffer as the sound waves will cancel eachother out... kinda like listening to a bare speaker sitting on your desk... dosent sound too good.

Now... back on topic... anyone have some stock speakers for me?

Poopie
02-18-2008, 06:59 AM
i do, they've been sitting for a while though but they werent blown when i removed them

kingtr
02-18-2008, 11:23 AM
these are for my 96, different speakers... different mount (compared to 00 & 01 models)

its very simple to mount speakers like that, but being there is nothing seperating the front from the rear of the speaker, the sound will suffer as the sound waves will cancel eachother out... kinda like listening to a bare speaker sitting on your desk... dosent sound too good.

Now... back on topic... anyone have some stock speakers for me?

Ok. just FYI, the front of the speaker fits in there nice and snug, no room for the sound waves to "cancel". I have this in my car and know for a fact it does not sound like a speaker sittinng on desk (or any other situation w/ open speaker). But I see that you want crappy OEM speakers for the ease of fitment and thats fine.