PDA

View Full Version : Will a 75mm wheel bearing fit in the 82mm housing?

B518T
02-14-2008, 10:57 AM
So, i am posting this for my friend Kyle (Kyle H)...and the question is in the subject heading...

his steering knuckle/bearing carrier (whatever you want to call it) was bent so he ordered another one from a dismantle-er...well, we ended up finding out the hard way that while the arms were the same the bearings were different sizes....

so the question is, can you simply take them both to a machine shop and have the 75mm bearing popped out of the bent knuckle and pressed into the good one?

any and all input will be greatly appreciated!

98a4
02-14-2008, 11:46 AM
I'd say no... but i dont know...

As for the question. Yes 75mm is smaller then 82 it will fit inside haha

creechsa4
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
shops will not press in a used "no" maintenance bearing on a machine fit hub. too many liability issues there.

HIERLEVELZ
02-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Will the bearing fit yes. Will it stay no. It has to be an interference fit meaning the bearing has to be oversized for example 82.005 mm. 82-75=7mm you didnt need us to figure that out and dont go to mahine shop or else they will laugh at you both.

Poopie
02-14-2008, 02:39 PM
you need a new knuckle AND a new bearing. Pressing out the old bearing pretty much destroys it.

B518T
02-14-2008, 03:07 PM
alright, so...ummm...thanks for the input....

when i am talking about size, i was talking about the splined interior diameter on the bearing that the outside end of the CV axle slides into...

the new bearing carrier's bearing is larger than the one one the car, therefore the end of the cv axle doesn't nugly slide in and catch on the teeth...

I believe poopie just answered the question, that the bearings will be molested on their way out of the carrier, which to me sounds like a lost cause all together...

i guess the new used carrier/knucle will just have to go back where it came from....

thanks everybody...although I must have not been very clear since a couple of you missunderstood the question

alright....take care!

Toyotatech
02-14-2008, 04:02 PM
you need a new knuckle AND a new bearing. Pressing out the old bearing pretty much destroys it.

No, damage would be caused by the tech if any, if you have a damaged knuckle it's your fault. Hub's and speed sensor may be damaged from bad wheel bearings.

Poopie
02-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Have you changed the front wheel bearing on an audi a4? Trust me, its pretty much useless after you press it out. Also, why would you want to put a high mileage wearing part back into a car after all the effort to get it out?

mike-2ptzero
02-14-2008, 08:13 PM
alright, so...ummm...thanks for the input....

when i am talking about size, i was talking about the splined interior diameter on the bearing that the outside end of the CV axle slides into...

the new bearing carrier's bearing is larger than the one one the car, therefore the end of the cv axle doesn't nugly slide in and catch on the teeth...

I believe poopie just answered the question, that the bearings will be molested on their way out of the carrier, which to me sounds like a lost cause all together...

i guess the new used carrier/knucle will just have to go back where it came from....

thanks everybody...although I must have not been very clear since a couple of you missunderstood the question

alright....take care!

He bought the wrong knuckle if it is the larger one, that is for the 01+ A4's and the S4's. This is why his axle and hub aren't the same size. The splines are diffeerent sizes too.

I ran into this problem when I put on a 01 hub on my 00.