PDA

View Full Version : Guys with coilovers w/ adjustable dampening:

sixfiveoh
02-14-2008, 09:44 AM
How do you adjust your dampening? All of the top nuts are covered in th A4, where do you adjust them from? Maybe the shocks are designed differently so you can adjust from below, idk. I don't have adjustable, was just wondering because when installing, I couldn't find anyway for them to be adjusted from the conventional top spot without removing the whole coil [confused]

EuroB6
02-14-2008, 09:47 AM
the coils you saw may not have adjustable dampening on them. Few of them do and you would see a knob you can spin around to adjust. They usually are on top or bottom and accessible by removing the wheel.

sixfiveoh
02-14-2008, 09:49 AM
No, I'm sure they don't. I was just wondering how the guys with adjustable do adjust them. On my last 2 cars, they were adjustable via a knob on top of the coilover, but you wouldn't be able to get to that knob on an A4...

You have to remove the wheels to adjust?!

audisnapr
02-14-2008, 09:52 AM
you have to remove the wheel and the coilover assembly to adjust the damping - at least for most setups unless the valve knob is placed somewhere else on the shock body. most are at the top of the shaft.

one way to adjust the fronts while on the car is to drill a whole in the tower to access the vavle, but the rears must be removed to change the damping.

<edit>
spelling correction as per below call-out [;)]

sixfiveoh
02-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Wow, that's horrible. Almost glad I went with non-adjustable... I may drill a hole in towers anyway, just to keep an eye on my top nuts. I have this nervous thing that I didn't screw them down tight enough and they'll pop off... [rolleyes]

onemoremile
02-14-2008, 11:22 AM
You'll hear them clunk long before they pop off. They really aren't under much stress and should be fine. The single top nut and the hardened washer that sits on top of the piston shaft are what see all the stress.

Pet peeve so I've got to mention it, dampening is the act of making something wet while damping is what makes suspension work.

Some struts have to be fully compressed and then are adjusted with a screw on the top of the piston shaft. These are low pressure twin tube units or you would never be able to compress them by hand like that. Others may use a knob at the base of the strut or near the seals in the center. The best have external reservoirs with easier adjustment and more consistent performance.

sixfiveoh
02-14-2008, 11:25 AM
You'll hear them clunk long before they pop off. They really aren't under much stress and should be fine. The single top nut and the hardened washer that sits on top of the piston shaft are what see all the stress.

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. Maybe you can give me some insight here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189866

Pet peeve so I've got to mention it, dampening is the act of making something wet while damping is what makes suspension work.

Haha you're right, wonder why I never noticed that.

Some struts have to be fully compressed and then are adjusted with a screw on the top of the piston shaft. These are low pressure twin tube units or you would never be able to compress them by hand like that. Others may use a knob at the base of the strut or near the seals in the center. The best have external reservoirs with easier adjustment and more consistent performance.

Like the Stasis Motorsport setup?

onemoremile
02-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Like the Stasis Ohlins setup or these Penskes.
http://startupracing.com/images/Suspension/ChallengeKit250.jpg

Dampers turn linear motion into heat. The remote reservoirs have more heat capacity and more surface area from which to exchange that heat with the atmosphere. This keeps their performance consistent after dozens of laps and helps them last much longer.

audisnapr
02-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I believe some manuf. have produced "damping" adjustability at the base of the coilover like this pic of the H&R kit.

http://www.eurosportacc.com/images/pcsdials.gif