Gibbs
02-14-2008, 02:25 AM
may be of some use:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel139.shtml

98a4
02-14-2008, 04:02 AM
3 post in 3 min. Shit.
Chill dude.
You could have taken those 3 mintues and searched and found the answer.

Google

Teabag
02-14-2008, 10:13 AM
read that, does the piston need to e twisted wile it gets pushed back in or not?

98a4
02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Rears yes.

Search damn it. We gave you everything you needed, you can do some reading on your own (Gibbs Link)

5.) Compress the caliper piston with the caliper tool.

You can see on the piston two small holes. If you look at the tool, there are two pins that fit in these holes. Basically the tool twists the piston while it pushes

In this picture, one hole is at the 12 o'clock position, and the other is at 6 o'clock

onemoremile
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Yes. It can be done without the tool but it is a serious pain and a little dangerous. You may be able to borrow the tool from a parts store or shop. Otherwise, they aren't that expensive. I've got one and don't even remember buying it.

ibew5audi
02-14-2008, 06:21 PM
I think the tool is cheap and one of them you can put into a drill. I did mine with a pair of needle nose vice grips and would recommend the non moronic way mentioned above. I'm just very bull headed.

Militant-Grunt
02-14-2008, 06:22 PM
You don't need the tool, on my friends C43 I used a channel lock to push the cylinder in and quickly seated the pads.

Type. K
02-14-2008, 08:19 PM
I work in a VW/porsche shop and I never use the piston to compress the caliper. Channel locks FTW.

thebikedoctor33
02-14-2008, 08:23 PM
yeah i did mine with a regular c clamp and whatever to spin the piston as i slowly compressed it. wasn't hard at all.

whoace
02-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I work in a VW/porsche shop and I never use the piston to compress the caliper. Channel locks FTW.

People like you give people in our industry a bad name. Use the right tool for the job...PERIOD!!! How in the hell do you use channel locks on a caliper that uses the piston as an e-brake?

No you don't NEED the caliper tool, but you definitely need to spin the piston back in, not just compress it.

Nebone
02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
I did many of these rear brake jobs on VW and Audis and always use a large c-clamp. It pushes the piston as it turns because the it closes as it turns (works like the special tool but instead of the grooves, it uses friction. Its usually tough to turn the c-clamp so I just use the lug-bolt wrench to extend the handle on the c-clamp.

BrokeDown[20V]
02-15-2008, 04:32 PM

Are you serious. Im am so glad you will nevr be working on my car.[down]

Use the tool, it is usually cheap if not free to use, just leave a deposite at a parts store. Do it right the first time.

One more time; type K, I am really disapointed in your post, channels?

I know a couple techs and a few dealerships, and they have the tool at the shop, they dont have to use C-clamps. They do it right, thats why I bring my car there.

Type. K
02-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Weird, I was under the impression it didnt really make that big a difference if you used a C clamp/ channel locks to do the rear brakes. The way i was taught was using a channel lock which is slighly disturbing in that case. The problem with our shop in regards to the piston compressing tool is that it is always in use or missing. Ill have to check with some of the journeymen techs and see what they think about the whole situation.

seatown88
02-15-2008, 09:25 PM
i like to use the caliper tool, it easy to use so why not, its the right tool for the job

whoace
02-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Here's my problem. Don't you need to be at least a registered apprentice to be working on someone's car? Maybe it's different in Alberta. I mean, you're messing with public safety here and I think you need to know what you're doing before tackling something like brakes. On top of that, if you don't know what you are talking about, you shouldn't be misinforming the community with bad info. If your shop tolerates bad workmanship, so be it. But don't go giving ppl info that could possibly cause serious damage. Brakes and suspension is the first thing we learnt in trade school. If you don't know what you're doing, ask questions. Your techs should be walking you through these procedures. Don't assume what you're doing is correct. Your messing with people's lives.

woofster
02-16-2008, 06:31 AM
I've always just used a big C-clamp and it works just fine. As you tighten the clamp, the clamp end rotates along with the piston.

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/aencmed/targets/illus/ill/000f0ef5.gif