PDA

View Full Version : Suspension concern

sixfiveoh
02-13-2008, 10:00 PM
My car is on H&Rs now, but I'm a little concerned.

When I was installing it, I thought the OEM top nut would work on the H&R shock, turns out it didn't, and I cross threaded the shock, so I got it rethreaded at a machine shop. I also bought new bolts at the machine shop to use as top nuts, but my concern is that they wouldn't screw in with more than 2-3 threads above the nut. Like. If "|" is a thread, and "O" is the nut, a few of them would look like this:

TOP ||O|||||||||| BOTTOM

One of the ones went down a good 8-10 threads or so, and the other I can't remember because it was the beginning of the install and this wasn't concerning me then.

My question is, should I be okay? Or should I worry about the spring loosening and popping the top nut off? I wish there was a way to access the top nut on these cars without removing the shock all together, idk wtf Audi was thinking.

98a4
02-14-2008, 03:41 AM
Is it tight or flopping around.

Always check fine vs. corse. I know alot of people who have done the same thing.

sixfiveoh
02-14-2008, 07:39 AM
It's not flopping around at all, but I'm not sure if they were regular nuts or pinch nuts, is there any chance that the nuts could get loose from all the tension?