PDA

View Full Version : What are all the parts needed for TB job?

Kronic Budz
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Ok i have read many different threads and searched and am concerned about my car. It has 114k on it. (1997 a4 2.8) I have records from the previous owner that the timing belt and water pump were replaced at 85k. I also have a paper showing the drive belt being replaced at 80k miles. The coolant was also flushed with the latest water pump install.

But what about the other things i have seen that should be replaced. Like tensioner, thermostat or idler roller. What are all the parts that should be replaced and are CRUCIAL to the TB job.

sorry if im kinda a noob but i want to no everything that you dont want to go bad that can mess up valves and shit like that. And the things you should WORRY about after passing up 100k miles. I hear this loose bearing sound at idle and i think its the tensioner. I think im going to have a mechanic just do a check up and see what parts i need replaced.

Can anyone give me any advice on my situation? I dont want to have to drop down a crap load of money for the whole kit but only the other parts i need for hopefully cheap. I keep very good car of my car and want my car running good for as long as possible. So i dont want to be the idiot that bends his valves because something in the belt system went bad. please help.

SurferForever
02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
just get the kit from ecs and bring it to a mechanic to put it all in

20vpower
02-12-2008, 10:53 PM
i bit the bullet and did it myself. it was actually fun. it was cool to take off the whole front of the car. relitivley simple too (followed writeups) hardest part was putting the thermostat housing + o ring + thermostat up into its spot with coolant leaking in your eyes(dunno if the 2.8 is the same design as 1.8). just make sure u start early on a sat, so you have a day to revive yourself if you mess something up

Kronic Budz
02-13-2008, 12:24 AM
thanks guys but I really dont need a timing belt and water pump, those only have 30k miles on them. So the other parts are the ones im worried about. But what are they other parts that go with the timing belt and water pump that I should prob replaced because there are a few i have heard about that can fuck up your engine if not replaced. But im confused on to why the other owned wouldnt do the other ones at the same time. And am i totally fucked since those other parts have 114k on them and were supposed to be replaced at 70-80,000 miles and the latest of 100k like the dealer claims?

CaSp3r9
02-13-2008, 12:47 AM
If the timing belt and water pump were replaced at 85k, I can pretty much guarantee everything else including the thermostat, tensioner, cam seal, etc. were replaced at that time as well. Unless the job was done by the owner, they could have left some parts out but seeing as how you have a receipt for it... I'm pretty sure wherever it was done, they would have replaced everything. How much is the receipt for, parts and labor?

Kronic Budz
02-13-2008, 10:53 AM
If the timing belt and water pump were replaced at 85k, I can pretty much guarantee everything else including the thermostat, tensioner, cam seal, etc. were replaced at that time as well. Unless the job was done by the owner, they could have left some parts out but seeing as how you have a receipt for it... I'm pretty sure wherever it was done, they would have replaced everything. How much is the receipt for, parts and labor?

ok well i would hope you are right that the other pulleys and shit were replaced. Because im looking at the bill right now and it says this.

Timing Belt Service @ Johnny's Automotive in Arcadia, CA

-install new timing belt and water pump
-inspect all pulleys "all pulleys ok at this time"
-outside drive belt in good condition (because it was just replaced before this service)
-fill with new coolant
-oil change with mobil 1 (6 quarts)

Parts: $265 Labor: $356

I honestly dont think the other parts were replaced, it just doesnt add up.[mad] This pervious owner had also taken it to his mechanic a few times before this t-belt job.

Kronic Budz
02-13-2008, 01:39 PM
bump

20vpower
02-13-2008, 03:01 PM
for parts for my total tb kit was around 260 so that sounds right

Kronic Budz
02-13-2008, 08:40 PM
well im just thinking to myself that a mechanic that was doing a TB job on a audi would think to replace all the necessary parts that go bad like the belt and water pump. It would be stupid to do a job like that half assed. But then again, it does say pulleys look good at this time, so maybe they didnt replaced the rollers and tensioner. And $650 for a FULL t-belt job w/ a oil change seems pretty cheap. That was back in 2005 though so i dont no.

I really DONT no..[headbang]

CSHO1.8t
02-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Timing Belt Service @ Johnny's Automotive in Arcadia, CA

-install new timing belt and water pump
-inspect all pulleys "all pulleys ok at this time"
-outside drive belt in good condition (because it was just replaced before this service)
-fill with new coolant
-oil change with mobil 1 (6 quarts)

Parts: $265 Labor: $356

As far as parts go, with shop mark-up, thats about right. keep in mind they also charged you for 6 quarts of oil. I just got quoted from my mechanic for the TB, Waterpump, and tensioner, and the price ended up being about $290. I passed on it because with the mark-up its way too expensive.

Judging from the invoice, I can almost guarantee that they didn't do the other belts (power steering, accessory, etc.). However, those belts aren't as likely to give you the problems a TB can. Rest assured that the most important parts have been replaced. [up]

and its KNOW, not NO. [rolleyes]

Kronic Budz
02-14-2008, 12:05 AM
As far as parts go, with shop mark-up, thats about right. keep in mind they also charged you for 6 quarts of oil. I just got quoted from my mechanic for the TB, Waterpump, and tensioner, and the price ended up being about $290. I passed on it because with the mark-up its way too expensive.

Judging from the invoice, I can almost guarantee that they didn't do the other belts (power steering, accessory, etc.). However, those belts aren't as likely to give you the problems a TB can. Rest assured that the most important parts have been replaced. [up]

and its KNOW, not NO. [rolleyes]

ok so should i be super worried about the tensioner failing on me if it hasnt been replaced and there are 114k miles on my car, and that my engine is making the noise it makes near the fan system at idle. The sound of a tensioner going out? lol I just want to make sure i need or should replaced it before something goes horribly bad. But dont want to unless i really need to. Since i dont have a whole lot of money. Im gunna need this car running good for another 30k or so.

Bic-Ball
02-14-2008, 12:27 AM
spend the few hundred now instead of the shit load later

CSHO1.8t
02-14-2008, 12:30 AM
ok so should i be super worried about the tensioner failing on me if it hasnt been replaced and there are 114k miles on my car, and that my engine is making the noise it makes near the fan system at idle. The sound of a tensioner going out? lol I just want to make sure i need or should replaced it before something goes horribly bad. But dont want to unless i really need to. Since i dont have a whole lot of money. Im gunna need this car running good for another 30k or so.

The TB tensioner should have been included, although it might not say it on the invoice. Its actually impossible to put on a new timing belt without putting on a new tensioner for it, it needs to be replaced when the belt is replaced.

Thats funny that you have that sound coming from the fan area at idle. When I did my timing belt that exact same thing happened and it turned out to be the accessory belt tensioner I believe, which is not something replaced for timing maintenance. However, you're 2.8 and I'm 1.8T, so it might be different.

Go here http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&engine=V6%2030v&model=B5%20A4&submodel=Quattro&category=Engine&subcategory=Timing

Kronic Budz
02-14-2008, 10:39 AM
alright well i just called the mechanic with the recite saying the TB details and he told me a story about the previous owner. Said he took great care of his car and had it serviced regularly at his mechanic. He said he was extremely picky on his car being taken car of. Makes me feel pretty good to here that. He also said his wife drove it and babied the thing.

He was also the one to do the work on the TB. He said that the idle roller and the tensioner were most likely not replaced. I asked him if i should worry about it and he said i should just get it checked out if its starting to make a few noises. which it kinda is at idle. :/

He said when you do TB jobs, you gotta really worry about the "crappy" 1.8's and do the fullll job. Thats exactly what he said, and i prob agree with him that the v6's are stronger and can take a lot more punishment. And dont have to worry about a few parts here and there.

all in all i love my baby so i will get it checked out soon and see what i need done.

/end thread.