PDA

View Full Version : Seat Replacement

ChrisAudi
02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Ran a search on seat replacement, couldn't find my answer.

I need to replace my driver's seat in my 1.8T due to the pleather ripping. Do all years have the same seats and brackets? I'm looking at picking one up out of a junk yard.

Thanks,
Chris

audiness
02-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Get the S4 seats. they are tits.

J-jizzle
02-11-2008, 05:48 PM
You can get them recovered. I do a some lil odd jobs for a couple that recover seats. They have done awsome jobs on cadilacs and countless other stuff and they look factory when their done. I would think that would be cheaper definitly if it is just the side panels. If they are just small cracks or rips you can get those sealed up by a professional leather guy(think there called leather medics) thats what I did. It was only 100 bucks for two 2inch cracks.

GramCracker
02-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Recaro's ftmfw

ChrisAudi
02-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm on a budget, both time and money, so the fabrication and parts needed for S4s and Recaros won't do. Getting the seats recovered IS an option, but I have a mechanic friend who has many connections to junk yards, and I might be able to get the seat for 100 or less. That might be easier, don't you think?

My seats are in bad shape. Not only are there cracks on the left butt cheak-thigh side, but the middle is all split too.

Yaktizzle417
02-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Any good interior shop will be able to fix it! My dads E36 M3 had terribly ripped up seats and stuff, and they fixed it. They look brand new!

GBW
02-11-2008, 06:30 PM
You can reupholster the seat covers, it isn’t that hard, but I’m guessing the foam cushion under the seat cover for the bottoms are shot…. you’re probably better getting a complete seat in good condition. I just reupholstered my seats, it really isn’t that hard. I do have a extra beige “pleather” seat cover set (bottom and top) from a 1999.5 if you interested… it's in good condition, no rips, no significant wear, just a little ink that I think will come off...

J-jizzle
02-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm on a budget, both time and money, so the fabrication and parts needed for S4s and Recaros won't do. Getting the seats recovered IS an option, but I have a mechanic friend who has many connections to junk yards, and I might be able to get the seat for 100 or less. That might be easier, don't you think?

My seats are in bad shape. Not only are there cracks on the left butt cheak-thigh side, but the middle is all split too.

The center being split is what will make the price jump if you get them recovered.

GBW
02-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Doubt it...I can't see any shop taking the time to replace a single panel on a seat bottom or back...you can buy the seat bottom for less than $200. These are not worth the time of a shop to repair the rip....and patching just buys you a few more months...

ChrisAudi
02-11-2008, 07:58 PM
I agree with GBW and j-jizzle. I just want to know if 96s, 98s, 99s, etc. are comparable with 97s. Any idea?

GBW
02-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Bentley does not show any difference (that I can see) for the B5 manual seats in how they attach to the car. There are differences in how components are attached (seat backs, head rest guides, etc) and there are differences in the Air Bags...and that's something you need to be aware of, if your ECU is expecting x bags, you'd better have x bags.

You may be safest simply replacing the seat covers and keeping your existing seats.

ChrisAudi
02-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Interesting, never an easy answer with the Audi...

Poopie
02-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Its simple. All the manual seats will fit.

dieselgti
02-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Does anyone know the part number for a 1999 Audi Avant (pre-facelift) drivers seat bottom in grey leatherette? Mine is just plain ugly and there is no way to fix it...

B