PDA

View Full Version : I know, I know....it's another instrument cluster thread...

hoganalley
02-11-2008, 01:59 PM
We have all had our clusters fade on us.....I have a question though. If you have a cluster that has good pixels, can you simply remove the chip that has the milage on it and re-solder it to the good cluster? This seems like an easy way to fix the problem.....

Mawhitey
02-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I often wondered this as i have a brand new cluster sat here i cannot fit as i do not have the SKC for the imoboliser ( uk cars all had imobilisers in the dash)

I looked at swapping the actual display,but that kinda work is beyond my abilities

onemoremile
02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
No. The mileage is hard coded to the cluster and can't be changed.

hoganalley
02-12-2008, 06:35 AM
ok. Do you know where/how it's coded in? I'm not an electronics wizard by any means, but a circuit board is just a way for signals to travel somewhere.....don't the chips that get attached to the board hold all the information? Do you know if anyone ever tried this?

ModifiedA4
02-12-2008, 09:54 AM
ok. Do you know where/how it's coded in? I'm not an electronics wizard by any means, but a circuit board is just a way for signals to travel somewhere.....don't the chips that get attached to the board hold all the information? Do you know if anyone ever tried this?

you are correct. [up] and it has been done.

search on Audiworld (a common theme here [rolleyes] )

Basically there is a small 8 pin IC that stores the milage. You can desolder it and transfer it to a new cluster. [wrench]

obviously this info has the potential for abuse. [down]

hoganalley
02-12-2008, 09:57 AM
I know. That's what sucks about car nuts and intelligent people! But I think we're all straight forward, honest people and we wouldn't do anything illegal ;)

I'm sick of the pixels going out so......I have a cluster that works and I'm swapping it out! Thanks for the help guys!