PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather problem

ceas
02-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me with this problem. This noise only happens in cold weather. If the temp. is around 17-25 degrees the noise is kinda noticeable, if the weather is below 17 degrees like this morning it was 7 degrees it was VERY noticeable. When I start my car (I let it idle for a while), the car is fine. I start out in first gear and usually shift early going up my street. Once I get into 2nd gear and take the RPM's up above 2.5k RPM there is a SCREECHING noise. It gets louder as the RPM's get louder. It does this for maybe 2 minutes and then it goes away once the car warms up. I'm thinking its a belt making the noise. Any ideas? Remember only cold weather and its a loud screeching noise.

ceas
02-11-2008, 09:06 PM
*bump* for some help

Poopie
02-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Its probably a belt or I would guess the bearing in your AC compressor motor is not happy. Not a big deal though

A4Shizzle
02-12-2008, 11:41 PM
On my parents C-class it was the smog pump that did the same thing. I'd check exactly what Poopie said first.

skibumm
02-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Yep, a cold stiff rubber belt is likely the source of your noise. Check the serpentine belt and if it has more cracks per square inch than ribs across the belt I would recommend changing it. V-belt fan belts are always harder to inspect but if you do one belt you should do both.

woofster
02-16-2008, 06:34 AM
It wouldn't hurt to try a automotive belt dressing spray. It's cheap and if it works, it'd be a quick fix. If it doesn't work, well at least you've lubricated your belts for a few bucks!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SJERuqLML._AA280_.jpg