PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a spare tranny? :(tri-state?)

bernB5
02-11-2008, 10:33 AM
So, it's FREEZING in hartford, CT today.. Anyway, I warmed my car up, went for a cruise, shifted fast from 2nd-->3rd and 3rd gear just let go.. I guess it was a mixture of the power and the weather.
Whatever the case, I need a new tranny and was wondering if anyone somewhat local has one for a good deal?

Thanks guys.
Alex

Don Supreme
02-11-2008, 10:51 AM
hmmmmmmmm lost my 3rd gear in October in a similar manner.

Question what do you have in the way of motor mounts and such?

MOFSTEEL
02-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Pick one

http://www.geocities.com/boogiemanuk/trannys.jpg

Black_97 A4
02-11-2008, 10:54 AM
lmao that was funny

317ssayzarc
02-11-2008, 11:16 AM
i have one... it whines a bit a decel in 2nd but other than that its fine... i was going to use it in my car but decided to go 2.8... in in westerly ri

bernB5
02-11-2008, 11:24 AM
hmmmmmmmm lost my 3rd gear in October in a similar manner.

Question what do you have in the way of motor mounts and such?

034 Track Densiity Motor Mounts and Passengers Tranny Mount.. Stock drivers tranny, snub and rear dif mounts.
I guess 3rd gear is the weakest? After the tune I got this weekend, the car HAULS.. I just found a tranny for 450 and I think I'll pick it up.

317ssayzarc
02-11-2008, 11:29 AM
thats a good deal, i paid 798 after taxes for my 2.8 with 58k miles on it [up]

Don Supreme
02-11-2008, 11:34 AM
034 Track Densiity Motor Mounts and Passengers Tranny Mount.. Stock drivers tranny, snub and rear dif mounts.
I guess 3rd gear is the weakest? After the tune I got this weekend, the car HAULS.. I just found a tranny for 450 and I think I'll pick it up.

Did your speed sensor die too?

Why is one of your tranny mounts still stock?

bernB5
02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Did your speed sensor die too?

Why is one of your tranny mounts still stock?

I didn't check the speedo, I don't think it died.
The drivers side tranny mount is still stock I believe (I forget)
Whichever mount hadn't come out yet from 034 when they first released the density line, that's the one I'm missing, along with the snub mount. I'll definitely have to pick it up, as I'm sure it could cause a problem with twisting/movement etc.. It's only still stock because I never got around to ordering it when it came out..
too bad I have no garage and have class and work all day and no means of transportation, so i'm getting raped with $850 worth of labor :(

Don Supreme
02-11-2008, 01:07 PM
^ I hear you man. I was lucky to avoid that labor charge by getting some help from another Audizine member (AudiA4_20T). We slaved on our backs, but we got it done.

I asked about the mounts because I was running all stock mounts except for an APR snub when it broke and I had tons of drive train flex. I just replaced my mounts LAST NIGHT with all 034 street density stuff and the car feels a trillion times better.

I always wondered if the extra flex may have led to the gear breaking, but oh well.

bernB5
02-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I dunno, it's a tough call and proabably impossible to really find out.. Even just for a piece of mind, it's worth it to purchase all of them..
I'm impressed with my car, as much as this sucks, it's cool that I'm making enough power to destroy 3rd gear haha.
Hopefully I'll get to go on a normal dyno that isn't retarded and find out how much I'm really putting down, or I'll just wait to see what kind of times I run.

Thanks for the help guys.. I got the car towed to a good transmission shop around here and we'll see what happens.. I probably need a new unit, before I got it on the truck, I could get it into 1,2,4,5 and reverse, but when I put it in 3rd, there was no engagement and just alot of metal clanking noises

Poopie
02-11-2008, 03:29 PM
i will have a new VSS tomorrow. I ordered through the dealer but mine worked after I cleaned the connectors really good. If you want a new VSS let me know. $31 plus shipping.