PDA

View Full Version : Just installed OEM Xenons, having issues, flicker, grounding issue?

EuropaVin
02-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Hello all, I have went through an excruciating amount of posts not only on this forum but also on AW...and still haven't really found a definitive answer so I must ask.

I scored a set of US spec headlight housings with OEM Valeo xenon components. It also came with the headlight harness that ECS sells to convert the rectangular plug on post face-lift cars to my round connector (97 A4).

I was only able to test one side at a time as I only had one working bulb (not sure if this is an issue), but my problem is that the lights flicker a bit after a minute and then go off completely. If I turn the lights off and back on again, the one headlight will light up again...and over and over. I've tried swapping the bulb out to both different ballasts and have had the same issue...so I think that rules out a bad ballast.

Does anyone know if I have a grounding issue here? I checked and rechecked all connections and everything looked OK. Would it help if I took the ground cable from the ballast and grounded it directly to the car's frame? Or powering the ballasts directly from the battery? Maybe swapping out the 10A fuse for a 15A fuse?

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

EuropaVin
02-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I tried grounding the ballast directly to the car's frame but the lights are still cutting out. They come back on if the light switch is cycled.

Anyone have any suggestions? TIA

Jared71482
02-10-2008, 03:40 PM
fuses should be switched to 15 amp.

might have a bad bulb. Get a pair of new bulbs and try them out.

EuropaVin
02-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah I ordered some new bulbs that should be in this coming week. I thought about upping the amperage but so many people have been getting by without doing it...makes me wonder.

P3RryaudiA4
02-10-2008, 03:42 PM
hey i kno this is not on topic at all but im having trouble, how do u start a thread ?

EuropaVin
02-10-2008, 03:43 PM
theres a "new thread" button at the top left of the forum page.

P3RryaudiA4
02-10-2008, 03:51 PM
theres a "new thread" button at the top left of the forum page.

not on my screen thers not lol this is a really stupid problem to have i feal like an idiot but i cant find it man

speedydragon
02-10-2008, 04:07 PM
umm just go to a dedicated forum like b5 a4, b5 s4 etc...and on the top left corner there should be a new thread. It should be right were the post reply button is on this thread or other threads.

Unleaded20T
04-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Anybody with a used ballast for a B7?