PDA

View Full Version : Bits and pieces for TB job

sbghms
02-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm sorry for the 1,000,000th timing belt question. I was searching around on the topic,and ruled out the ecs ultimate kit. I read in another post about a website called, www.autohausaz.com . I went there and they have a little better prices then ecs. So, I was quoted about $375 for labor on the tb job, thats w/o the water pump(forgot to ask). So far on my list i have the tb and water pump. Is there anything else that i actually need to add, such as a v-belt (will it rise the cost of labor too much?) Also do I need the water pump gasket for the water pump? Please clue me in to any little, or big, parts that im missing.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Bic-Ball
02-08-2008, 08:51 PM
most of the kits include the ac/serp/timing belts, the tensioner, the idler roller, water pump, thermostat and a few other bits. most of the parts are relatively inexpensive and should be replaced when everything is apart. most people recommend getting a metal gasket for the water pump. this is everything i bought when i did my timing belt, the mounts, dvd and engine cover aren't necessary :p i got my kit from diesel geek btw, it came with cam seals.

http://zeroproof.com/bicball/timingparts.jpg

sbghms
02-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Will I be ok with just getting a tb, serp belt, and water pump?

sbghms
02-08-2008, 09:11 PM
how much antifreeze do i need? Or should i just let the place im getting it done at give me the antifreeze?

Bic-Ball
02-08-2008, 09:44 PM
you need g2 antifreeze, i think i ended up using about 1 and 3/4 litres of it (1/2 water, 1/2 coolant). you can replace what ever you want to but like i said, youre best off replacing a lot of stuff. the parts arent too expensive and everything needs to come off in the process so its not really any extra labor to put a new part back in place. youre going to need and want a new tensioner, thats the part that fails more than the belt itself.

ngrover
02-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Will I be ok with just getting a tb, serp belt, and water pump?

Unless the timing belt tensioner has already been updated with the most recent version you will definitely want to do that.

You can use dexcool antifreeze, it's the same thing as the audi spec stuff and a lot cheaper. Some have gone over to the new G-05 but I can't comment on that.

I got my kit for $215 shipped. Only thing that I consider is missing is the thermostat. Got it from here:
http://metalmanparts.com/product.sc?categoryId=8&productId=129

sbghms
02-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Unless the timing belt tensioner has already been updated with the most recent version you will definitely want to do that.

You can use dexcool antifreeze, it's the same thing as the audi spec stuff and a lot cheaper. Some have gone over to the new G-05 but I can't comment on that.

I got my kit for $215 shipped. Only thing that I consider is missing is the thermostat. Got it from here:
http://metalmanparts.com/product.sc?categoryId=8&productId=129

That's a good deal but I have the AWM engine code...

Stampy
02-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Do it yourself man! I did 2 TB jobs on A4's today. Its like butta

sbghms
02-09-2008, 01:56 PM

I would if I knew how, I dont know my way around the engine compartment, and would end up blowing up my engine!

BTW does $365 sound good for labor for just the tb?

audiness
02-09-2008, 03:27 PM
autohausAZ is awesome, i've ordered from them many times.

Stampy
02-10-2008, 03:09 AM
$365 is ok. I know a guy here in chicago that does the labor for $250 on a b5. Wish you were local buddy, I'd teach you how to do it.

MikeWasHere05
02-10-2008, 10:42 AM
The timing belt on my car was the first mechanical thing I've ever done to an automobile. Matter of fact, it was probably one of the easiest.

Its a lot of work, in that you have to take a bunch of stuff off. However it all is pretty simple stuff. I bought the ECS tuning ultimate kit and it had everything I needed, minus some RTV gasket sealer for the water pump. I don't think any kit comes with RTV though, so you can't hold that against ECS.

Why do you rule out ECS so quickly?

BzeB5A4
02-10-2008, 02:37 PM
$365 is ok. I know a guy here in chicago that does the labor for $250 on a b5. Wish you were local buddy, I'd teach you how to do it.

Really!? When I need mine done again, I'll take you up on that offer.

Bic-Ball
02-10-2008, 06:50 PM
its really not that bad. the write up on audiworld is excellent, i took about 50 pics of my disassembly to make sure i got it back together right that i could upload if you want. as i took everything apart i lined up all the parts on the curb in order so putting everything back together was easy.

devmaster
02-10-2008, 07:25 PM
RTV gasket sealer for the water pump. I don't think any kit comes with RTV though, so you can't hold that against ECS.

Huh?
i just got in my ultimate kit from ecs what is that? and should i go pick 1 up from the stealer

MikeWasHere05
02-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Huh?
i just got in my ultimate kit from ecs what is that? and should i go pick 1 up from the stealer

Go down to any hardware store or auto store, pick up a tube for like $3. Its basically silicone in a tube. Put some of it on any place where theres a gasket and it'll make sure its 100% sealed. Not necessary, but if you want to be thorough its what you use [up]

seatown88
02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
I like to use curil k2 instead of rtv when sealing gaskets. it can be just as messy, but its easier to use. my dad and i use it when we build our hydroplane engines.

devmaster
02-10-2008, 08:22 PM
o. ok, wasent sure, i already got some laying around, thanks 4 the clarification

Stampy
02-10-2008, 11:46 PM
I use HONDAbond not RTV. Hondabond disintegrates inside a motor. So you don't have to worry about using too much.

BLUEisFASTER
02-11-2008, 10:51 AM

how long should someone whos never done it before expect to get the job done? i'd consider myself somewhat competant in being able to follow directions....

Stampy
02-11-2008, 05:54 PM
plan for a whole day dude. Not that it really takes that long. Like you said, your going to be following directions. So best give yourself a time cushion. I can have it done in like 2 hours now. Getting the front end and radiator support off is the time consuming part. Once everything is infront of you, its just a matter of doing it. Just make sure you line up the crank and Cam marks. My friend messed that up when she did her TB a few weeks back. Not so sexy now for her.

MikeWasHere05
02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
how long should someone whos never done it before expect to get the job done? i'd consider myself somewhat competant in being able to follow directions....

Like someone else said, plan for the whole day. But if you start at say 8AM you'd probably be done in time to clean up and take the car out for dinner or something. [up]