PDA

View Full Version : BIG Boost Problems

erikas3
02-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi.. First of all I would like to mention that I just joined this forum. I am a 17yr old noob with a 1998 Audi A4 1.8T/Q/M. Back to my problem- Ever since I bought my car about 4 months ago, it has been truck slow. I figured that this was normal since I heard that 1.8T's are way restricted from the factory and that a chip would bring a great increase in performance. Since I wanted a chip so bad, I participated in the Speedtuning chip group buy on AudiForums. Since I got the chip, I have not noticed almost ANY increase in performance. My friend's stock 1.8T Golf leaves me in the dust every time. Thinking that I have a giant leak, I changed out the DV with a 710N and also installed a boost gauge just today. This leads me to the BIG problem- I register 20 vacuum yet I get 0 PSI of boost! I have tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery but that has not helped. I am looking for any advice possible. Thank you. [az]

boostedup
02-08-2008, 06:32 PM
is the car doing anything out of the ordinary, ie. turbo whining, other noises? could just be a big boost leak somewhere. they are not too easy to find. search for "tennis ball method" for finding boost leaks.........

ILoveT
02-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Ooooh boy. That sucks

How do you have your boost gauge hooked up? Did you actually drive the car with the boost gauge hooked up?

erikas3
02-08-2008, 06:46 PM
I really don't hear any extraordinary noises.. There was a hissing noise coming from the connector hose on the intake manifold and after replacing it, it seems to have gone away. There is a turbo whine noise when I hit precisely 3.2K RPM (Similar to spooling up). While working on it today, I got frustrated so I ran with the MAF unplugged. This helped me hit 2PSI even though the car ran very bad. I think that this is not the fault of the boost gauge since it registers close to the regular vacuum and works properly. After doing some research, I have found out that the N75 and the turbo waste gate actuator (?) may have something to do with this? Am I right?
Sorry if I am talking nonsense, this is my first car that I care for myself with no aid from my parents.. My dad dosen't know anything about FI motors so can't even help me..

boostedup
02-08-2008, 06:49 PM
your not talking nonsense........it could very well be any of those two things. are u pulling a CEL or not? any codes at all?

having an intake will allow you to hear the spool at around that RPM so i don't think thats a bad thing unless it's VERY loud

ILoveT
02-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Unplug the vacuum line to your wastegate and if you create a lot of boost replace your N75. Don't go wide open throttle though.

erikas3
02-08-2008, 06:54 PM
your not talking nonsense........it could very well be any of those two things. are u pulling a CEL or not? any codes at all?

having an intake will allow you to hear the spool at around that RPM so i don't think thats a bad thing unless it's VERY loud

I went to Autozone and the guy who scanned it was not able to pull any codes. No CEL, steady idle.. I think that I will have a look at the N75 valve and see if it is all connected properly.. Is there a simple way that I can test it?
BTW, the 'turbo' noise is not terribly loud and it doesn't sound like the turbo is struggling to spin. This noise only happens in the 3.2K RPM range.
Thank you!

erikas3
02-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Unplug the vacuum line to your wastegate and if you create a lot of boost replace your N75. Don't go wide open throttle though.
Thanks for the reply. Is there any chance that you could help me pinpoint this hose? Is it connected to the actuator part of the turbine itself?

ILoveT
02-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is there any chance that you could help me pinpoint this hose? Is it connected to the actuator part of the turbine itself?

Find your wastegate and trace the line back to the N75 then just take it off. You know?

erikas3
02-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the advice... Sadly I can't do this today so I'll just do it first thing in the morning.
I'll keep you guys updated.
I [az] !! [:D]