PDA

View Full Version : which, if any, ecu's have a pull out chip

auditi
02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
are all chips soldered to the board, or are there some ecu's that have an easily swapable chip? i haven't pulled my ecu apart to check, but heard that on some ecu's, you can just pull out the old chip and place the new one in, and some are solder only...

Vreihenmotor6
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I think the aftermarket compainies desolder the chip from the board and solder on a pin header so that the aftermarket chip can be slid on, so once you have an aftermarket chip swapping to a new one might not be that hard, the reall way to check would be to open your ecu and check though

maxspeed
02-08-2008, 01:03 PM
all factory ecus have there chip soldered on. most companys bench flash at this point, and the ones that solder usually put a soket on, giac for example

auditi
02-08-2008, 02:06 PM
ok, maybe the one that i was told about had been chipped prior and it was just a chip change...

034 motorsport will probably be doing the install, and they did say it is standard for them to socket the new chip when they do it...

mike-2ptzero
02-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I think all the tuners use flash tuning for the 01 and I think they do chip installs into the ecu on the ndbw cars. If the ecu has a tuner chip in it now they might have to solder a new OEM chip back in so they can flash it with the aftermarket tuning.

Monk
02-23-2008, 09:51 AM
I think all the tuners use flash tuning for the 01 and I think they do chip installs into the ecu on the ndbw cars

Correct. DBW A4's simply need to get re-flashed and would not require a chip to be physically installed each time a new file is written.

I'll share a couple of ECU pics. from my nDBW Euro-spec 98'. Sloppy soldering & tapped wires abound. I was surprised that the board was still functional. Note that this Superchips(UK) Ko3 chip/socket install was done back in 99', w/c would explain the bizzaro 'ladder' layout & subpar workmanship.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/tejaro12/SloppySuperchips.jpg

Since I live overseas, I had ATP send the actual EPROM 'chip' (glad they had a file for my Euro 'T'-code ECU). But installation wasn't plug & play as the Superchips socket wasn't in the correct orientation [confused] Now the ATP chip & socket 'guides' don't match. We had to file-down one side of the Mika chip so we can wiggle it in the existing Superchips socket.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/tejaro12/MikaTunedchip.jpg

Note: US-spec EPROMs are 'rectangular'.

maxspeed
02-23-2008, 10:50 AM
the giac chip on my DBW (00) is socketed

mike-2ptzero
02-23-2008, 03:15 PM
the giac chip on my DBW (00) is socketed

Yes because thats how GIAC used to do the 00, but at this point they flash most of all the dbw cars.

gotaudi
02-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Unitronic solders their big turbo chips to the board.

oface
03-12-2008, 08:38 PM
So if I want to get ATP (Mika for a GTRS Eliminator_GT2871R) software and I currently have a GIAC chip soldered on. What is the best method of going about changing them out? would I be able to get the chip back and try to resell it? Or should I try and get a stock ECU and send that to them. Or.. should I just send it to them and say F it and whatever happens happens.

sirswank
03-13-2008, 06:52 AM
So if I want to get ATP (Mika for a GTRS Eliminator_GT2871R) software

you don't

give unitronic or tapp a call. get a stock ecu for $100 and send it to them to flash or chip and sell your giac one. no down time.

mike-2ptzero
03-13-2008, 08:11 AM
So if I want to get ATP (Mika for a GTRS Eliminator_GT2871R) software and I currently have a GIAC chip soldered on. What is the best method of going about changing them out? would I be able to get the chip back and try to resell it? Or should I try and get a stock ECU and send that to them. Or.. should I just send it to them and say F it and whatever happens happens.

Best thing to do is try to sell it for cash and a stock one. It is just easier to sell it that way then just the chip/board alone. If you cant find a buyer or just cant wait the shop that puts in the new chip will send you back the one they pull out if you just tell them up front.

ct1.8t4me
03-13-2008, 08:24 AM
If you are nDBW and already chipped with a socketed chip, can you simply pop out your chip and pop in the new one? For instance, going from APR to GIAC on a 98.5?

mike-2ptzero
03-13-2008, 08:50 AM
If you are nDBW and already chipped with a socketed chip, can you simply pop out your chip and pop in the new one? For instance, going from APR to GIAC on a 98.5?

No. They all tend to use different types of sockets.

oface
03-14-2008, 01:37 AM
you don't

give unitronic or tapp a call. get a stock ecu for $100 and send it to them to flash or chip and sell your giac one. no down time.

Does the Mika software ATP provides just suck or are the Unitronic and Tapp ones way better?

I don't have 92 octane, only 90 here... Would that make a huge difference in any of those with knocking or something?

mike-2ptzero
03-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Does the Mika software ATP provides just suck or are the Unitronic and Tapp ones way better?

I don't have 92 octane, only 90 here... Would that make a huge difference in any of those with knocking or something?

Conditions have big effects on why places sell lower octane, this way the cars run the same as they would in a difference condition running a higher octane. Places at high eleveation also sell lower octane fuels so that the cars will run right vs running higher octane at sea level with the same tuning. This is because more adv timing is needed for thinner air, so they use lower octanes since the car really cant just add more timing then its already programmed for.

Some tuners had to end up offering a "cold temp" tune because people running their normal chips said their cars ran like shit once the temps got too low.