PDA

View Full Version : remove resonator | need your thoughts..

Rico750
02-07-2008, 06:10 PM
went to a local shop today that does custom exhausts..
i told him i wanted some more sound but not to loud..justa little more throat an deeper sound...

after long thinking and looking at it he came up with this:

The guy suggested replacing the pipe from the expander to the muffler (expander included because it looked rusted and not to good) and taking the resonator out... and replacing that pipe with a little bit bigger pipe to the muffler. Anyone ever done that? and how much sound is there to expect ? i dont want people hearing me come down the road a mile away but i want a little more then stock.. ? any thought/experience ??

1a9u9d8i
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
removing the resonator will make it quite a bit louder from what i understand. most people that do it really like the sound, i myself have a magnaflow muffler with the stock cat converter on my 2.8 and i LOVE the sound, its a little louder and throatier, its perfect.

J-jizzle
02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Im a b6 but im running magnaflows with no resonator but I still have the cat...I was in the same boat as you and just went for it. I couldnt be happier. Is quite when I want and is just the right sound when Im on the gas.

brlukosk
02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I have removed the center res on my car. A year later I had it put back on.

The resonator does a really good job of canceling all of the drone from the exhaust. Without it, the noise is almost unbearable. Its not pleasant like you would think. It gets really old when driving long distances IMO. My car is a DD and I really like retaining some of the stock luxury.

Right now I have the center res back on, with a magnaflow on the back. Sounds good enough for me.

legionvr6
02-08-2008, 01:16 AM
uummm i choped mine out and their is just a bit of throughty sound to it, a hair of drone in the car around 2,500 rpm and thats about it. i like it for a 30 buck job. but its just to quite for me so im geting a custom done as soon as i find a shop that will do it cheap'ish around my area

GeosA4
02-08-2008, 02:02 AM
I had to replace the downpipe on my car, and reweld the cat back onto the flange on the turbo (the bracket holding the downpipe to the trans let loose, thus pulling the cat down with the extra weight). At the same time, I decided to ditch the resonator.

Totally glad I did, sounds much better in my opinion. Just some quick pipework and some clamps. There is a small amount of resonation, but only at 2500-2700 revs. Over 2800 RPM and it's gone.

98a4
02-08-2008, 03:28 AM
I removed the res on my APR... literally its 3x louder. I love it, but it drones.

Alot of MK5 vw guys do it, and it sounds amazing, idol is quiet but WOT you can tell. Mine cost 40$ and took about 35minutes.

Juding by your mod list, you have money. Get an APR exhaust, they are one of the quietest on the market

zrowcool
02-08-2008, 04:58 AM
yeah i removed it and it drones a little too much for my tastes. i was looking into putting another one in its place.

Rico750
02-08-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm at the exhaust place right now..(pda windows mobile FTW) I'm gonna test drive it in a few min with the resonator off..if it s to loud they have different kind of resonators they can put on..to get it where I like it.. :)

Rico750
02-08-2008, 11:18 AM
oh yes baby !! this is it !! had the guy make me a custom exhaust.. this is awesome.. nice sound.. not to loud.. ! ill try to get some pics / sound clips soon. Exhaust definitly a recommended upgrade !!!

98a4
02-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Full exhaust?
What?
10min ago it was the res, now its a new exhaust?
Details

Monchichi8
02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
remove the stock one and replace with a universal small resonator. I did a custom exhaust using a magnaflow muffler and a small resonator and it sounds great! not too loud. not too quiet. just a nice throaty sound. dosent drone out on the highway either.

Rico750
02-09-2008, 05:48 PM
yep.. guy was cheap.. he build me a new exhaust for 220 bucks [cool] He bended the piped and everything there... didn't take him long.

So got a new expander new pipe (little bit bigger then stock) and muffler with chrome tips (no resonator).. sounds great! not to loud like a lot of those honda wannabe's but just good! Deep around 3000 rpm and agressive sounding over 6000 :) couldnt be happier !

quattroism25
02-09-2008, 07:38 PM
remove the stock one and replace with a universal small resonator. I did a custom exhaust using a magnaflow muffler and a small resonator and it sounds great! not too loud. not too quiet. just a nice throaty sound. dosent drone out on the highway either.

Where'd you get the universal resonator?

Monchichi8
02-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Where'd you get the universal resonator?

local muffler shop. nothing fancy, but it does the job perfect. Its round and about 14-16in long.

legionvr6
02-10-2008, 02:19 AM
lol sounds like a stock VR6 tube resinator.

that is a Fing sick deal on a cat back

Rico750
02-11-2008, 09:26 PM
local muffler shop. nothing fancy, but it does the job perfect. Its round and about 14-16in long.

yeah local muffler shops all have m and wont take m long to put it in, but so far i like mine without.

JumboBlack1.8
02-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Make a Video!!

Poopie
02-11-2008, 09:42 PM
wow great price!