PDA

View Full Version : Potential fix for those of you with HID issues...

.Mad Hatter.
02-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Ok, the title is a little broad, but it requires some explanation.

I for one, have a very specific issue with my aftermarket HID's, my lowbeams to be more specific. They are NOT vvme, my fogs are and they work flawlessly. Im not sure what they are, they came with the car. However, when I turn them on, sometimes only one will come on and it takes a few clicks to get them both on. Also, when I turn them into the OFF position, they wont turn off...maybe one will, its hit and miss.

My father just ordered a vvme kit for his Mazda 3 and was experiencing a similiar issue. Hes good with electronics so he decided to ground the ballast directly, it solved the issue right away, they work without any issue now. Im thinking I will try the same thing, Ill report back with results, just wanted to post this and see if anyone has done this.

fix
02-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Did you use a relay kit that goes directly on your battery?
If not there is your problem, don't even need to ground anything, battery negative is more than enough.

.Mad Hatter.
02-08-2008, 02:00 PM
When I wired my fogs from scratch I grounded them directly to the battery, but I made the whole harness. For his and my lowbeams they are not grounded to the battery as there is no seperate grounding cable, only the ground/power from the ballast to the OE power source.

Where would the ground to the battery come from?

Durkin
02-08-2008, 02:25 PM
i had a similar problem with my CQlight.ca kit, until one ballist just stopped working. so i got a VVME kit, which works rather well. only issues i have occasionally is the passenger light will just go out after its been on for a bit.. its not consistant at all. but for the most part they work flawlessly... and i'm also curious about the grounding questioned.

fix
02-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Everytime I did like you, I had troubles with my HIDs, not starting, or working correctly. The worst was my VR6, when I was using my power windows, 1 of the HID would just stop working.
A relay kit is the way to go, since all the power is taken directly from your battery instead of your original equipment, and will put no stress on your electric system.
Original system won't give you enough stable power to start the HIDs properly, and in the end might damage something.
I've seen some cars that works perfectly without relay using OE cables, but it's still the wrong way to install them (aka my GF Mercury Cougar [confused]). [up]

.Mad Hatter.
02-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Any wiring diagrams et al? I know virtually nothing about wiring aside from doing what I see.

fix
02-08-2008, 06:04 PM
http://www.mobilehid.com/wires.jpg

1 OE connector is plugged, just so it powers on or off, but the power is taken from the battery.

.Mad Hatter.
02-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Im going to try and run ground directly to the battery first, as its much easier. If that fails, Ill have some more Q's, lol.

Thanks alot for the help/diagrams, Ill report back if I get to this tomorrow.

fitch303
02-11-2008, 08:52 PM
what about the bulb out indicator?

Poopie
02-11-2008, 09:35 PM
You will need a resistor to fake the current the cluster reads. Go to audiworld and search. I'm pretty sure someone posted a specific resistor value to use

.Mad Hatter.
02-12-2008, 05:21 AM
You will need a resistor to fake the current the cluster reads. Go to audiworld and search. I'm pretty sure someone posted a specific resistor value to use

Thanks, Ill check it out.

As for the bulb out indicator, unless my headlights are on, the indicator comes on...which I dont think it should.

fitch303
02-12-2008, 10:24 AM
so nobody makes a resistor adaptor or anything, will I have to cut open the wire harness for the lights to install the resistor?