PDA

View Full Version : Fixed a boost/vac leak; new issues arrise.

audiFUEGO
02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
So today i brought the car to the shop to get my oil changed and i figured while i'm here, i might as well find and fix that boost leak that i know i have.

The biggest leak was from the FPR vac line. So i used the smallest clamp i could find and clamped that sucker good.

So i'm driving home... pretty happy since my idle is nice and smooth now [:D]. I'm being careful not to boost too high cuz my car was still cold. By the time i get near my house, i decide to do some full boost pulls and the car is running pretty good besides a slight hesitation to boost in second gear. 3rd gear feels awesome. 4th gear feels awesome. So, content as I am, i pull into my neighborhood and im driving about 10mph. 1st to 2nd shift lets out a nice bang/backfire. "uh oh". So i try it again, same thing. It felt like i was running a bit rich. So i took her out again for some more runs. Felt beautiful, a bit quicker than before, sounds throatier, and steady idle at stoplights. I come back into the neighborhood and shes running pretty good, better than before. Only now i notice the coolant temp is getting pretty hot (pushing just past the middle line), but that could be because of all the full boost runs i had just done.

Before i fixed the leaks, my PT FT was -14%. You think all this acting up might just be due to my GIAC re-adapting to run without leaks?

I hope so.

Also another question, how is your guys' idle on your boost gauge? Does your needle sit at 20hg and never move? Or will it occasionally give a tiny flicker?

Rico750
02-06-2008, 08:15 PM
So today i brought the car to the shop to get my oil changed and i figured while i'm here, i might as well find and fix that boost leak that i know i have.

The biggest leak was from the FPR vac line. So i used the smallest clamp i could find and clamped that sucker good.

So i'm driving home... pretty happy since my idle is nice and smooth now [:D]. I'm being careful not to boost too high cuz my car was still cold. By the time i get near my house, i decide to do some full boost pulls and the car is running pretty good besides a slight hesitation to boost in second gear. 3rd gear feels awesome. 4th gear feels awesome. So, content as I am, i pull into my neighborhood and im driving about 10mph. 1st to 2nd shift lets out a nice bang/backfire. "uh oh". So i try it again, same thing. It felt like i was running a bit rich. So i took her out again for some more runs. Felt beautiful, a bit quicker than before, sounds throatier, and steady idle at stoplights. I come back into the neighborhood and shes running pretty good, better than before. Only now i notice the coolant temp is getting pretty hot (pushing just past the middle line), but that could be because of all the full boost runs i had just done.

Before i fixed the leaks, my PT FT was -14%. You think all this acting up might just be due to my GIAC re-adapting to run without leaks?

I hope so.

Also another question, how is your guys' idle on your boost gauge? Does your needle sit at 20hg and never move? Or will it occasionally give a tiny flicker?

my needle doesn't move at -20 it stays there steady...hopefully your car computer is adjusting stuff.. mine adjusted stuff too when i got my major boost leaks fixed... then again when i got my n75 in