PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading/Installing new grounding points

black00A4
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Has any cleaned up there grounding points, or even added a aftermarket grounding kit? I had it on m Subaru and it helped alittle bit, so I wouldnt mind trying it on the audi. Its a $20 dollar mod so you cant go wrong, I just want to know if anyone has done thi before. Also can anyone tell me where the factory grounding points are? I might just clean up the stock ones. Thanks in advance.

brlukosk
02-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Good idea. I've been thinking of doing this as well. Unfortunately I cant help out.. : /

Vreihenmotor6
02-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Good idea. I've been thinking of doing this as well. Unfortunately I cant help out.. : /

x2

I have all the stuff hanging around from a project I never did to the last car so if you find any good info post it up

audiFUEGO
02-06-2008, 03:31 PM
what good would come from doing this?

onemoremile
02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
I did it on our Subey but not the Audi. The Subaru ECU is grounded to a screw that goes through a painted surface. There are four ground points like this. I sanded down to bare metal, scuffed the ground ring, reattached, and then smeared petroleum jelly over it to prevent oxidation. The car did idle a bit smoother afterwards.

audiFUEGO
02-06-2008, 03:41 PM
The car did idle a bit smoother afterwards.

Nice... i may do this... anyone know where these ground points are?

onemoremile
02-06-2008, 03:52 PM
It helped the Subaru because they ground to the bolt and not the sheetmetal it sits on. I don't think the Audis have that problem. Our cars have much more extensive electronics and similar grounding would have caused all sorts of random chaos.

Back when I did high end audio installs I would use a ground distribution block and run a fat ground back up to the battery. It always lent a more transparent sound with better transient response and improved headroom. Galvanized sheetmetal spot welded together is nowhere near as efficient as a big black wire. It also limited RFI and the potential for ground loops.

brlukosk
02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
could improving grounding help with high loads on the electrical system?

black00A4
02-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Here's a link I foun just googling the topic:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1054918

I am definetly doing this mod just gotta source out the materials. I was hoping someone would know where the stock grounding points are though.

JayTheSnork
02-06-2008, 05:22 PM
this link is better:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1342565

while it is aimed at Passat owners, keep in mind Audis and Passats are brother/sister cars.

capea4
02-06-2008, 05:42 PM
I ran multiple 8 gauge grounds to various areas under the hood. Right off the ground post of the battery I ran one to the ground block under the coolant tank, one to the coil pack ground on the valve cover, one to the altinator mount and one to the head at the cam pos sensor. with so much aluminum on the top end of the motor I figured it couldn't hurt, and the one under the coolant tank is a no brainer since so many things ground there as well.

Saturnine
02-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Yea, I added a grounding kit to my Mk2 and it helped out alot.. But like Onemore said, Audi has a fairly good setup stock so there's really no need to install a grounding kit..

Cant hurt though, i guess.

black00A4
02-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Like i said I wanna make a custom kit like I had on my old subaru, and prolly just clean up the stock ground ponts.

This is a link to a home brewed company where I got my old kit from. The guy also makes a kit for the Mini, but no Audi. This is what I'm trying to buy or fabricate myself.

http://www.camotoy.com/products/minicooper/index.php

onemoremile
02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
could improving grounding help with high loads on the electrical system?

Absolutely. A circuit is only as good as the weakest point. If you were to take a length of 00 or even 4 ga cable and insert a foot long chunk of galvanized steel in the middle you would see a difference as compared to a full length of wire. Same goes for a full length of wire compared to one with a dozen perfect splices. With electrical systems, especially in as bad an environment as a car, you start with perfection and work your way down to reality.

capea4
02-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Electrons flow from negative to positive. They will also follow the path of least resistance. Electronics 101

onemoremile
02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
They will also follow the path of least resistance. Electronics 101

Yup. [up]

If one path is 15 feet of galvanized sheetmetal spot welded together and the other path is 15 feet of stranded oxygen free copper cable I know which path gets chosen. The body is actually much longer than 15 feet due to the Faraday effect. Cable has skin effect which is similar but on a much smaller level.

So why are audio jobs grounded with a short lead to the chassis? Because it is quick, easy, and nobody questions it. I didn't until I did a few jobs in fiberglass cars. I checked resistance/conductivity with a Fluke multimeter between a standard steel bodied car's trunk ground connection and a full 500' roll of 10ga and the cable was far more efficient. Just throwing it out there.

Conductivity is nothing more than the resistance to the flow of electrons.

whoace
02-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Electrons flow from negative to positive. They will also follow the path of least resistance. Electronics 101

Actual that's the scientific/electron theory.

Conventional/Automotive theory dictates electrons flow from positive to negative. Hence the black cable being the ground.

brlukosk
02-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Actual that's the scientific/electron theory.

Conventional/Automotive theory dictates electrons flow from positive to negative. Hence the black cable being the ground.

hmmmm

color
[up] [headbang]

onemoremile
02-08-2008, 12:44 AM
nerd fight! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef6AKriyTx4)

capea4
02-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Soooo, if I change all my grounds to red cable and power leads to black I would be right? I might have to do that cause I hate being wrong. Kinda like the 034 rear brake kit needs you to drill out that damn E-brake cable bracket.[az]

onemoremile
02-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Don't be bitter.

capea4
02-08-2008, 06:53 PM
not till they prove me wrong...

whoace
02-09-2008, 01:56 AM
hmmmm

color
[up] [headbang]

Black is hooked up to the negative on your battery. Sorry it was implied.