PDA

View Full Version : coils for around $800 ?? where

Rico750
02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
im looking for coilovers for my wagon.. any idea where i could get those for around that price??.. bilstein shocks is at least $450 and springs are 250 at least.. so why bother then and not get the coils??

grip_racer
02-06-2008, 09:25 AM
dude vmaxx coils are like $700, get them, people have liked them so far

http://www.stratmosphere.com/vmaxx.htm

Rico750
02-06-2008, 09:38 AM
is there anything else i need to buy with that?? this replaces my stock shock and spring right??? all the other mounting material stock i can use with that right ??

grip_racer
02-06-2008, 09:43 AM
yeah, buying coils is just like buying a shock/spring combo

tamadrumr88
02-06-2008, 11:05 AM
i have a friend with vmaxx c/o's on his mk3 golf and they ride a$$ compared to the H&R and Koni-equipped audis I've riden in, even Tein makes decent c/o's for our cars too

Skip springs/struts/shocks all together.... get a decent set of c/o's the first time around, you won't regret it and your back will thank you [up]

audisnapr
02-06-2008, 11:09 AM
talk to eric, steve or adam over at supremepowerparts.com and pick up a set of Stasis Koni streets for under 900 shipped (GB special I think is still going). I know it's a bit more than you want to spend, but it better to stick with something that is known to work and has got great feedback from other users here vs. something a bit more unknown.

Rico750
02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
dude vmaxx coils are like $700, get them, people have liked them so far

http://www.stratmosphere.com/vmaxx.htm

dude i called them today!! im gonna pick up a set from them!! very good price!!

audiFUEGO
02-06-2008, 10:05 PM
wouldnt you want to spend an extra hundred or two if the ride quality will be that much better?

grip_racer
02-06-2008, 10:09 PM
nice, give us a review when you put them on

they could turn out to be much nicer in the b5 application

sixfiveoh
02-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that vmaxx uses stock spring rates = it's only for looks. Well and a lower center of gravity, but not much of a performance coilover.

TQMB5
02-06-2008, 11:07 PM
i really dont think it would be possible to use stock spring rates or you would rub like crazy and it would be a bouncy ass ride

grip_racer
02-06-2008, 11:17 PM
where did you read that sixfiveoh?

that wouldn't even make any sense for a manufacturer to do

sixfiveoh
02-06-2008, 11:34 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178010&highlight=vmaxx

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175429&highlight=vmaxx

grip_racer
02-07-2008, 12:03 AM
lol...oh shit thats pretty lame

i think the teins are pretty stiff though, i rode in a 240sx with 9kg/mm front and 7kg/mm rear coilovers and the ride was really harsh. thats whats keeping me from the tein basics

but if these have stock spring rates, thats not so good either

lol, i guess you really do have to cough up some cash if you want a proper ride/ride height

speedydragon
02-07-2008, 12:10 AM
poor guy..wonder if he actually bought it haha

grip_racer
02-07-2008, 12:20 AM
i would feel bad for giving some wrong information!

Rico750
02-09-2008, 05:51 PM
poor guy..wonder if he actually bought it haha

not yet.. allmost though :) hmm.. 700 would be really the max.. it would probably be the vmaxx or the bilstein/H&R set..

sixfiveoh
02-09-2008, 06:12 PM
not yet.. allmost though :) hmm.. 700 would be really the max.. it would probably be the vmaxx or the bilstein/H&R set..

You're still considering vmaxx knowing that they will hardly improve performance [confused]

manufan
02-09-2008, 06:23 PM
You're still considering vmaxx knowing that they will hardly improve performance [confused]

I can't believe you'll bash a product that you know nothing about. The negative post from the above mentioned links were from someone who sells a competitive product. What do you think he'd say " Buy those they're the best"?

sixfiveoh
02-09-2008, 06:32 PM
He posted the springrates... if I'm wrong, don't hesitate to prove it wrong. I was interested in those myself. But I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for.

LowSantorin
02-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Do not get vmaxx. These coils are junk, have on the mk4gti, first of all the overall construction is not on par with trusted names. Secondly they ride like shit and are bouncy as hell. Definately a looks only package.

LowSantorin
02-09-2008, 08:49 PM
konis can be had for cheap also, i got a set for 850 ish shipped

Blake260
02-09-2008, 09:32 PM
my H&R ultras are pretty harsh I think...but I have a bad back, and it never is sore after driving unless im in an uncomfortable position. but all of my friends think its too harsh, and my firewall (between engine and battery) started to separate from the strut tower, but I got a omp strut bar to fix it.

your moms wagon
02-09-2008, 09:52 PM
def vmaxx or ebay it up bro. you never know what youll find

speedydragon
02-09-2008, 10:44 PM
tien basics shouldn't cost much more than those vmaxx

cjonesgo
02-09-2008, 11:34 PM
if cost is the main concern, shockwarehouse.com has bilstein's for $411 shipped. I started putting mine in today. got the rears in and it dramatically improves performance!
you can usually find h&r's etc. in the classifieds.

if I remember, tirerack had pretty good prices on the spring shock combos...

sixfiveoh
02-10-2008, 12:36 AM
I say check the classifieds if you're on a budget. I just picked up a set of H&Rs for less than half the price of new [:)]

onemoremile
02-10-2008, 09:09 AM
It is very apparent that a lesson on shock types is needed.

Bilstein is a high pressure monotube and will be harsh like all others of it's type. That high pressure gas has to be compressed to move the piston which then gets progressively harder to move. As the car gets lower they get even stiffer. The high pressure gas acts as an additional supplemental spring rate. This and the amount of fluid in contact with the outer case of the strut make them great on a track but rough and harsh on the street.

Konis are low pressure twin tubes and feel the same regardless of where they are in their travel. Rather than compressing gas they work by displacing it through an orifice into another tube. They are much more supple. Since only half the fluid is exposed to the shell they don't cool as well and have the potential to overheat on the track which changes damping rates. They are more compliant which makes them nicer on the street, potentially better on a rough autocross course, and still very good on the track.

iwearpro
02-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Ksports rock for around $800....36 way adjustable and top plates are included...One big bargain for the quality these are....I love mine!

sixfiveoh
02-10-2008, 11:20 AM
It is very apparent that a lesson on shock types is needed.

Bilstein is a high pressure monotube and will be harsh like all others of it's type. That high pressure gas has to be compressed to move the piston which then gets progressively harder to move. As the car gets lower they get even stiffer. The high pressure gas acts as an additional supplemental spring rate. This and the amount of fluid in contact with the outer case of the strut make them great on a track but rough and harsh on the street.

Konis are low pressure twin tubes and feel the same regardless of where they are in their travel. Rather than compressing gas they work by displacing it through an orifice into another tube. They are much more supple. Since only half the fluid is exposed to the shell they don't cool as well and have the potential to overheat on the track which changes damping rates. They are more compliant which makes them nicer on the street, potentially better on a rough autocross course, and still very good on the track.

Good info! [up]

Ksports rock for around $800....36 way adjustable and top plates are included...One big bargain for the quality these are....I love mine!

I had them on my Integra, and they were a bit harsh, but I loved them!