PDA

View Full Version : How we reached the modern "forum" with vw/audi tech

killa
02-05-2008, 04:45 PM
As the topic states, how have we reached the point of sharing this info? Where was the internet 15 years ago? Who had knowledge and who shared it? As far as I can tell, the first vw site was started by Justin Sain, aka Dolemite,aka Red Rotors, aka Hardcore vw, aka compressor surge. Justin started the old hardcore vw site on network54 back in 1997 IIRC, that site's URL was http://users.snip.net/~str8g and the main purpose was to:

1)Share power making experience
2)have an online place where people would be able to reference sort of like the bentley of performance
3)had a cut off point of people to post, criteria was that you needed to run at least a 13.99, go over 100mph in the 1/4 mile or make at least 200whp, all this for a street car, if trailored then i'd have to be much faster.

Now, keep in mind that vw had no turbo motors in 1997, the most powerful out of the box vw's had a VR6 motor and put out 178hp at the crank (corrado) the newer vr's were putting out 172hp in the shape of the coil packed AAA found in the newer Golf/Jetta III

Fast forward it a bit, EIP tuning had claimed to be the first tuner to put out a VR6 turbo kit at a time where the 16v motor was still a very sought after airpump. EIP claims to have the first 10sec vw in the co-owner's 2.1L ABA'ed out scirocco with all of the "fancy" at the time stuff like Electromotive Tec2, a Turbonetics T3/T4 (yes, they invented it) vw "tallblock", etc. But Paul Wolf of South Jersey had also ran a 10sec ET in his 1984 vw rabbit gti with the first SDS system installed in a vw after he got a hold of sdsefi and they not knowing how to properly trigger it on a 16v motor (as he told me when we met back in.... 2003 or thereabouts) Paul was rocking an off the shelf Turbonetics T3/T4, SDS, and a bone stock PL motor, that's a 2Liter 16v with the stock advertised 10:1 C/R, i say advertised as it's more like 9.6:1 when you CC everything and go over it, but back to forum talk, the hardcore vw site had a big reference and people started looking into these forums for technical help, give, take, the site had thounsands of hits per day but not many posts, people were scared of asking the wrong thing.
Some of the earlier posters were:
Justin aka hardcorevw, site owner
Paul W, first? vw in teh 10's, used a stock exhaust manifold and turned it upside down then made an aluminum plate to adapt to a T3 flange, also the first vw to be on the pages of turbo magazine
Zach V with an 11 sec turbo 8v rabbit
Lugnuts aka kevin black, the godfather of vw standalone tuning, Kevin later broke the 9sec barrier with his 16v rocco, the same car with an 8v motor had gone into the 11's in 2000
Killa, I've heard of this guy, forgot his real name [confused]
Eric F, the developer of megasquirt software
vwturbotony with a wicked turbo 16v
Chuck Bauer, most of you know him perhaps from making the Snake and BFSM, Chuck was also known for putting together the most wicked junkyard setups with saab injector/turbos in the place of old school cis
Joel Brown, aka compresdcaddy, aka purple pill, better known for going 9.7 with his drag corrado in WF2005 and making 760whp with a 20v I4 bored and stroked (no longer 1.8)
There are a couple of more people that I'm forgetting, and for that I do apoligize even though I doubt they'll ever read this.
Network 54 started having too many pop-us and Dan accepted for the HC vw forum to movw over to vwsport.com, a place where it still rests. People were also going to vwvortex and shared their thoughts there. The key thing here is that all of the people that used to post on network54 were willing to share their experiences to make the vw/audi community stronger against the Honda/Mitsu camp. Nowadays it's more of a whose e-dick is bigger and more powerful, this is the reason why most people that have been around don't post anymore on other forums and have a hidden forum which requires special access to in order to post.

The Audi and vw motors are identical and I people who had an audi were looked at the same way as someone with an Integra would be looked at posting on a site like Honda-tech so I feel that this post might help stop a little bit of the hate that has been roaming around here as of late.

Keep in mind that the first "hardcore" vw's/audi's weren't fast by today's standards but it was an honor to post in such sites as everyone knew each other from online and would see each other at racing events. I ask you to please keep this thread clean if you are going to post, I will keep an eye on it for a bit in case anyone wants to ask anything relating to the early vw/audi performance as I do havea bit more experience than the next guy. [up]

20vpower
02-05-2008, 04:58 PM
awsome post. and yes it seems as if people feel as if they have to frown on someone else in every other thread. i didnt join an internet forum to sit on my ass and hear rants about how some guy sucks because he put a bov on his audi. i came to sit on my ass and read about what people have done and can accomplish with our cars. i just want to take this to thank every1 who post up their builds, expectations and goals. it has given me faith that my car can someday be fast =P

sbghms
02-05-2008, 05:03 PM
awsome post. and yes it seems as if people feel as if they have to frown on someone else in every other thread. i didnt join an internet forum to sit on my ass and hear rants about how some guy sucks because he put a bov on his audi. i came to sit on my ass and read about what people have done and can accomplish with our cars. i just want to take this to thank every1 who post up their builds, expectations and goals. it has given me faith that my car can someday be fast =P

TRUE DAT!

p.s.- this will probably be moved to chatterbox...

killa
02-05-2008, 05:05 PM

The thing about the old forum is that you could curse anyone out if you wanted, but the funny part is that no one did because everyone respected the next guy. You're in Cali, you might know Tony Vargas, his father used to own Vargas turbo, i beleive that it closed down, they made wicked hybrids back in the day, TS04's aka T58's to name one for a decent price, another mom and pop shop was Blue Ribbon in Long Island NY, place closed down not too long ago. Looking bar at these 10years sure brings back memories, but not everything is negative as some stop posting and have their own forums (me included in the forum part), others rise up and are willing to learn.
BTW, I've met your homeboy Jesse Padilla from vortex when he asked me for turbo help, next thing you know he's in the cover of PVW and Eurotuner, clean setup he has there.

audisnapr
02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
[up]

Nebone
02-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Every car has this type of forum dedicated to enthusiasts. I used to have a Mazda 626 and I hung around a forum and met many people with which I made friends with who even called me to wish me Merry Christmas. Members on these forums can get great money saving tips and then tips on how to spend their money as well.

94jedi
02-05-2008, 06:19 PM
good stuff killa.

Stampy
02-05-2008, 07:03 PM
I agree with about everything said in this thread. I will say though....I do believe Audizine is by far the best Audi site. Audiworld might have more info, but the layout is crap. Once I stumbled on this site I never looked back. I don't even go to the other sites. Vortex in particular. You wanna talk about E-dicking.....

So hoorah for this thread

AudiSport12
02-05-2008, 07:49 PM
^^ Well played sir, well played. This is the only forum I can stand.

Great post killa.

317ssayzarc
02-05-2008, 08:46 PM
hopefully this will calm the nerves paul...

thank you for posting this, honestly, thank you...

Staggerlee
02-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Wow, this brings back the memories. I spent hours lurking through the archives of vwsport learning as much as I could when I was building my mk2 gti; thought that I was the hot shit when I finally got access into the hardcore forum with my 211 whp (Lysholm'd 16V) dyno sheet.

Also the forum that helped me decide that for real power, I needed to go turbo. Fortunately the untimely demise of the lysholm helped speed up that transition.

Those were the days. [up]

ModifiedA4
02-06-2008, 07:15 AM
the spirit of sharing has been corrupted by money, imho.

-enthusiasts looking for opportunities to make money by starting their own 'business'
-established 'tuners' being paranoid
-nutswingers and 'sponsored' toolbags who regularly mudsling innovation

for example, take a look at Audiworld circa 1999 when Garret Lim and APR peeps regularly posted actual technical data, they havent done that in years.

Once the money runs out of this segment (the cars get too old), and the diehards remain, the forums will again enjoy the coopertive spirit that existed when these cars were new.

Until then, get your waders on, 'cause theres alot of shit to go through.

killa
02-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Wow, this brings back the memories. I spent hours lurking through the archives of vwsport learning as much as I could when I was building my mk2 gti; thought that I was the hot shit when I finally got access into the hardcore forum with my 211 whp (Lysholm'd 16V) dyno sheet.

Also the forum that helped me decide that for real power, I needed to go turbo. Fortunately the untimely demise of the lysholm helped speed up that transition.

Those were the days. [up]

Yes, those were the days, people were more friendly as information available as it is today.
I remember a certain rabbit claiming over 400whp with a stock bottom end on methanol done via cis injection[:p]
Phil Almeida aka nightmare vr6 running 11.7 with a turbo VR on an fmu in 2001