PDA

View Full Version : Boost Gauge thoughts/opinions...

yoda888
02-05-2008, 12:17 PM
All,
I know boost gauge questions have been asked over and over. But I THINK this one is different than most.

I need opinions/thoughts about a boost gauge.

The car is a '99.5 Avant Tip. It is going to remain stock, except for an APR ecu. Now I don't really "need" a boost gauge since I'm mainly going to putt around in this car. However, I think it would be nice to see if I'm getting boost and the health of the car.

Now with that said, I was thinking to get an analog gauge for the dash vent. But that seems like overkill since I would rarely if at all look at it. (Plus when I showed my wife some pix, she said "what's that for?")

I was thinking getting a digital gauge and shovinig it in the dash cup holder (since it seems like it can only hold a can of TreeTop AppleJuice. But I was thinking the digital readouts would annoy me like no other! But then again, I probably won't look at it much.

One other option is the "podi" type. But my wife said "It'll block my view!" So that's out of the question.

Any thoughts? Should I NOT even get one?

Thanks!

jlien08
02-05-2008, 12:23 PM
A boost gauge should have been installed from the factory on these cars. They are important, and can lead you to problems before you physically notice them. Personally I like the center vent style. The Podi's are nice too, and they claim to not block the view of the instrument cluster.

J-jizzle
02-05-2008, 12:59 PM
My vote is for podi ftw. It only blocks some of the mph gauge(depending on where the steering wheel is set) but not any numbers that matter. Everyone thinks mine is factory. You will love it and tell your wife that it helps mpg if you keep the needle under 0, or something like that.

jlien08
02-05-2008, 01:34 PM
You will love it and tell your wife that it helps mpg if you keep the needle under 0, or something like that.

LOL. My wife actually likes seeing how much boost she is making. I guess I'm lucky.

onemoremile
02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
My kids love the boost gauge. "Make it boost again daddy!"

Brooksthepro
02-05-2008, 01:42 PM
My kids love the boost gauge. "Make it boost again daddy!"

hahahahhaha!!

i vote for center or left vent.

ILoveT
02-05-2008, 01:59 PM
hahahahhaha!!

i vote for center or left vent.

I kind of wish I would have done a left vent instead of the center vent. It looks cleaner over there. It's also fun having people see it. So it's really a toss up. My girl doesn't care about my boost gauge :( But it is fun when people ask, "what the hell is that?"

http://www.audiforums.com/forceddownload.asp?file=1%3B708030

jlien08
02-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Can't you just pop out the vent and replace it with the left vent? I did mine in he center too. I thought the vents were the same, and interchangeable.

Brooksthepro
02-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Can't you just pop out the vent and replace it with the left vent? I did mine in he center too. I thought the vents were the same, and interchangeable.

i was just gonna say that. i think they are all the same.

ILoveT
02-05-2008, 02:07 PM
i was just gonna say that. i think they are all the same.

I could have sworn they were different...

Revolution02
02-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Ya the vents are all interchangeable it shouldnt take you more than 5 minutes to swap.

Here is a pic of my gauge.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170423

RobbyB413
02-06-2008, 06:14 AM
LOL. My wife actually likes seeing how much boost she is making. I guess I'm lucky.

Yah, nice to have a girl support stuff like that rather than complaining. My girlfriend likes to stare at it sometimes when I'm driving. Kinda looks like a goldfish in a bowl trying to figure out what it's doing. [:D] Eh, I kid, she's a smart girl, but she does look kinda silly when she's staring at things in the car trying to figure them out.

SurferForever
02-06-2008, 08:58 AM
APR vent gage ftw. Decently priced, doesnt look like you just hacked up a vent and threw a gage in there like awe, and at night, matches the color of the interior lights. Perfect fit, looks stock when its in the center vent. i know there are plenty of pics on here if you search but if i remember i will try and shoot a pic of mine later

yoda888
02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I think I'm going to go analog. Not sure where I'll mount it yet however.

My original idea of a digital gauges was because I didn't plan to look at it much at all.

More thinking for this one!

HotSauce
02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
If you do a VDO, Podi, Omori etc. gauge, most people won't even realize it's aftermarket.

I have had VDOs in all my Audis, and they are all thought to be stock.

And before someone rags on the hack-a-vent/VDO route, know that VDO made the clusters in Audis for years....Nothing matches better than (quasi) OEM.

SurferForever
02-06-2008, 02:39 PM
^^^^^^^^
(APR gauge comes with a vdo gauge.)

audiFUEGO
02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
I like my AWE... and i have mine in my Center/Left vent.

Only draw back is on hot days, after youve had the AC running, if you open the windows and turn the AC off the gauge will form condensation because the AC gets it so cold.

Then again, its very humid in FL so that could be the problem.

yoda888
02-14-2008, 08:00 AM
I think I've settled on the VDO vision gauge. Not going to go with the digital readout anymore (unless I change my mind again!). So the plan is to mount it in the vent area. Not sure if I'm going to cut up the OEM vent or figure some other mount up. Seems like 42dd has the best prices for the vision gauge, LED kit, and boost tubing kit. Or is there another vendor I should be looking at?

Thanks!

onemoremile
02-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Price on the gauge should be 30-40 bucks. A simple mount can be made from black plexiglass and a hole saw for less than $10. Looks factory too.